Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Reality Check on a Class A purchase.

There's what I qualify to take a loan for... then there's what I'm willing to afford. Credit is not an issue, it's my own personal limit. I'm not going to post how much I make but to put it in perspective my mortgage payment is less than 20% of my monthly income. (that's my monthly income - not including my spouse).

I've never bought a luxury item like a Class A before. It's my first time buying a "big toy". I bought my TT for under 15k as an experiment to see if the family would be into RV'ing. They were! it's been amazing, but now I'm ready to upgrade. I'll be financing 95% of it as I don't really see any point (unless I'm wrong here?) in using cash reserves on a large down payment.

The trick is ... what should I limit myself to? I've arbitrarily picked 75k because I feel that puts the monthly payment at a range I'm very comfortable with, however that's going to get me a gas engine, when I'm really looking for a diesel pusher.

Sorry for the rambling post... Let me get to the point - is the DP really worth the premium? I need to justify (in my head) the additional cost. I'm an east coaster. Primarily traveling from the midatlantic across the south east. Pulling a toad (Mazda 5) or two motorcycles depending on the activities. I want to head out west eventually, but not within the next three years. Should I spring for the additional cost now and keep it for the long term or just go ahead and get the more affordable gas class A and trade in when I'm ready to do more full time activities and expand westward?

Am I going to be struggling to pull a toad or a motorcycle trailer down I-95 going the speedlimit with a gas Class A? (V-10 Triton?) What about 81 through VA to TN?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well one things for sure, the DP will certainly have a lot of more power, but at 75k you "could" be buying a big bag of problems.

The car you're towing is light, so a gasser should have no problem with it.

I don't know the routes you are talking about, but in the hills, all of them could struggle a little. Our old 400 hp DP on a 7% grade could maintain 65, but only if you entered the hill correctly. There's been times where I was down to 45 -40 - and it wasn't a big deal.

Here' what happened to me. I arbitrarily picked a number of 90k, even thought I was comfy up to 125k. I bought for 88k. I then spent 28k over the next year in "who saw that coming?" repair bills and gremlin chasing ---- and I thought to myself "Why didn't I just go ahead and spend 120k and get a newer, more well maintained unit!!!!!??????" FOREHEAD SLAP

I sold that unit....

regardless, I would recommend that you buy an RV that's "popular" or "loved by many" so that when you go to unload it, it's easier to unload.

Again, the diesel is a lot more fun and rewarding to drive. It's quieter, you get the air bag suspension, it's a powerful lug machine - but I also see a WHOLE LOT of tiffin Allegro gas units out there in the rv parks.... so that's gotta say something right?

What's your mindset on "prettiness"? I see two mindsets on the road.

1) It's very pretty and shiny!
2) It's ugly, and I don't care cause it's a workhorse and doesn't give me any problems - gets me where I'm going.

There are a lot of older units that were true workhorses... think Pace Arrow Gasser or Rexhall DP - but they might be a little ugly---- but solid units.

Other great older units. Monaco, Beaver!!!!!!, Georgie Boys, Safari, Holiday Rambler (pre-monaco)

Here's a GEM!!! From a reputable dealer.
"I'd buy this rig and not look back lol >>>> 1999 Beaver Patriot 40' Thunder Priced at $ 54500"
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
And here's another post with some discussion similar http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gas-...in-250833.html
Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want a diesel, then buy a diesel. You'll get a better ride, a quieter ride, greater reliability, greater capacity, greater towing capability, and in general a better built product.

You pointedly invested your first paragraph in making sure everyone understood that you really can afford to drop some green on a coach if you really want to. So, be decisive! You want a diesel? Go buy one!

No regrets.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

If you try to justify the purchase you can't. If you want something buy it, there are not any two people on the forum that have the same views. Some say buy new like me some say buy used and let someone else take the hit. Some say buy a DP like me others say buy a gasser don't waste the money.Ive owned 2 previous gassers are both were fine coaches just know how much weight your going to pull and the limits of your purchased BEFORE your purchased and you will be a happy camper. Some say buy x brand it's the best I'd say prove it. As you stated its a luxury item (toy) just like motorcycles, boats,planes so financially they don't make since but toys are fun to own.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

I read another post from a few days ago of yours with that link in it. I love it. My problem is financing a 55k motorhome that's 16 years old. If I can't pay cash for it, does that really mean I can't afford it?

I'm perfectly comfortable with older diesel units. I'm mechanically inclined, I can do my own preventative maintenance and mechanic work that wouldn't otherwise require a lift or removal of the engine from the chassis. The big problem is finding a financing company that won't destroy me on the interest rate for an older unit.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
If you want a diesel, then buy a diesel. You'll get a better ride, a quieter ride, greater reliability, greater capacity, greater towing capability, and in general a better built product.

You pointedly invested your first paragraph in making sure everyone understood that you really can afford to drop some green on a coach if you really want to. So, be decisive! You want a diesel? Go buy one!

No regrets.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to come off pretentious there, I was just trying to avoid a "can you really afford 'X'" thread.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you try to justify the purchase you can't. If you want something buy it, there are not any two people on the forum that have the same views. Some say buy new like me some say buy used and let someone else take the hit. Some say buy a DP like me others say buy a gasser don't waste the money.Ive owned 2 previous gassers are both were fine coaches just know how much weight your going to pull and the limits of your purchased BEFORE your purchased and you will be a happy camper. Some say buy x brand it's the best I'd say prove it. As you stated its a luxury item (toy) just like motorcycles, boats,planes so financially they don't make since but toys are fun to own.
No doubt! What a great way to say it Roosty!

I'll add, that this won't be your last I bet And that's kinda the fun part
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
I read another post from a few days ago of yours with that link in it. I love it. My problem is financing a 55k motorhome that's 16 years old. If I can't pay cash for it, does that really mean I can't afford it?

I'm perfectly comfortable with older diesel units. I'm mechanically inclined, I can do my own preventative maintenance and mechanic work that wouldn't otherwise require a lift or removal of the engine from the chassis. The big problem is finding a financing company that won't destroy me on the interest rate for an older unit.
For 55k, I would just get a signature loan. No RV loan company is going to loan on anything much older than 10 years.

But at 55k, your personal bank should be happy to simply slap the money in your hand at a decent rate.

Speaking of RV loans - Jim Pena at Essex Credit is awesome to work with! I regard him highly as one of the best in the industry.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to come off pretentious there, I was just trying to avoid a "can you really afford 'X'" thread.
Don't worry about that. Sometimes it's hard to gather a persons tone in writing.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Thanks, I've used Eglin Credit union for almost 10 years now and they've always beat out USAA on interest rates. I'll look into that. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
one more thing... in answer to THIS question " Let me get to the point - is the DP really worth the premium?"

Truth is, only YOU can determine that, and probably only after owning one of each....

You'll notice I now have a travel trailer, with no motor, transmission, slides, or even electric steps for that matter. Was it worth the step down --- to me?? Yes! Cause now those things won't break and for less money, I got myself a totally amazing zenlike interior - while others feel that would be a silly choice for them, so many reasons. I have to experience it for myself for a while to truly determine which is right for me.

Trade off? A little more setup upon arrival - no going to the bathroom while driving, (which by the way, you shouldn't do anyway. You should ALWAYS wear a seat belt... saw a wreck recently where the windshield left the front.....)
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, I've used Eglin Credit union for almost 10 years now and they've always beat out USAA on interest rates. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Eglin eh!

I was a radar tech on F-15's down the road in the 2nd fighter squadron at Tyndall.

I would still compare the rate at Essex.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #14

Plan B was (Still is) a 5th wheel and a diesel TV.

Tags
class a, purchase