Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ten.. If it doesn't leak now, redoing it will prolly make it so... Personally, I'd leave it and get some compensation.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
First of all I was involved in a lawsuit once it cost me more in lawyer fee by the time it was over.
Second I had house fire years ago and when they put the tile on the part that needed to be replaced it was a different color than the original tile. When I asked the adjuster about it. he offered a cash payment instead of replacing the rest of the roof
There are options hope it works out for You.

Steve & Denise
2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36.6 ft
w22, 8.1 Vacaville, Ca.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
" I believed him and said to go ahead and install what they sent. " This is the part that kills the whole deal. You authorized him to put on what they had, without looking at it. Now you have an attorney who is happy to convince you that you should sue, not because he thinks you are right or wrong, but because he knows he can make money whether you win or lose. Hate to point out the obvious, but you said put it on, now you have to live with it. Or pay to have them put on what you wanted in the first place.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
OR, rather than pay a lawyer, work a deal for another new 5er. "You put on the wrong roof. I bought the original from you. We both will loose if lawyers get involved. Take mine back, give me another 5er, I'll toss in a few nickles, and everyone's happy."

If there truly is nothing wrong with the color of the new roof in their eyes, they can easily sell it again.
Tom & Kelly
'02 Mt. Aire DP 4095
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Just Because View Post
Stop by the dealership and get a sample of the original roof before it "Mysteriously" disappears. Then you will have a sample for the insurance company. Contact the insurance adjuster and see what they have to say. keep the attorney at bay, till needed. Remember sugar catches more flies than salt.
X2 on that one.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
One more thing ......
What ever you do DO NOT TRY TO STAIN OR PAINT THE ROOF TO MATCH THE 5er........ It may look ok for a while but in the end it is going to fade and look like crap. This is just my opinion but I am still charging you ten cents for it and you can pay me the next time you see me...
Best of luck on your problem my friend. I know you had a NEW unit and you want it to look NEW again but just consider the costs if you win or lose, you are going to spend mega bucks on the project.
Like Wayne the Marine said... Just tell everyone you ordered it that way so it would reflect the heat better and your rig is 20 degrees cooler because of your special order roof that makes your rig different than all the others and a whole lot nicer....etc etc etc .....(that will be another ten cents but I will have to give Wayne the Marine half of it )

Im done

Thank a vet for your freedom .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #21
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
They looked up the records and told me that my VIN# was not used to place the order and that the service department ordered a color called DOVE (I suspect that DOVE is the color for the regular Cougar which is white, not the high country which is grey).
It would sure be nice if the Keystone parts person could fax you a copy of the order they received from your dealer for the roof material. It would just prove the dealer's repair shop dropped the ball in when ordering what was needed for your roof.....

#2 I would rely on the insurance adjuster to fight for you to finalize a repair. Don't you pay for the service's of the adjuster? I would bet the adjuster has delt with that service manager before for other claims.

And #3 Unless the color is something you can not live with for any amount of compensation, I would hope $1000 or $1500 might close out the case. And just use what Seajay said.

Just tell everyone you ordered it that way so it would reflect the heat better and your rig is 20 degrees cooler because of your special order roof that makes your rig different than all the others and a whole lot nicer
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hot damn I wish you guys would quit picking on lawyers.
You have to remember is just 98.9% of them giving the rest a bad name.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another legal angle to consider is small claims court. AS far as attorney's are concerned when they get their money the case gets settled. If you do go to small claime subpoena every one connected to the dealership it becomes uncomfortable for them when the owners, managers employees, janitors etc are sitting in the court house waiting to testify. In my state no attorneys are allowed.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #24
You agreed to the new color after the employee misrepresented the use of the vin and that the color was just a little lighter (not white). I'd try to deal with it through your insurance first before involving a lawyer.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hot damn I wish you guys would quit picking on lawyers.
You have to remember is just 98.9% of them giving the rest a bad name.
You are so right.
98.9% bad 1.1% good; those that have delt with lawers may dissagree.
From my dealing with lawers, I believe 1.1% may be two high.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
If the attorny suggest that you take legal action; (sue) attorneys love these things" you have lost even if you win.
I can almost assure you the attorney will drag this along as long as he can;
At $150.00 to $200.00 an hour you; soon have the price of a new roof; and you will still have the one you started with.
That is why I said to make it clear when you speak to the lawyer that it is just a consultation.

The OP can ask here all he wants but, unless a real attorney who happens to work where the OP lives pops in, all he will get is opinions from a bunch of people who most likely are completely clueless about the law, especially the law where the OP is. Same as one should go to a doctor for medical advice, one should consult a lawyer for legal advice.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #27
Free legal advice from my brothers.....2 attorneys. They happened to come by while I was in the shop and I casually mentioned this subject.

Both said lawyer would turn down case as a loser unless you really wanted to throw your money away.

"You really should have visually inspected or been damn sure you would accept the result when you gave your approval by phone."

FWIW I would take the roof and ask for some compensation. The replacement could leak and/or they would be rushed into doing a slipshop job as they will be making no money on replacement. Just my own 2 cents.....
2004 Silverado Duramax Six-Pac Camper
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
2010 ATC Race Car Trailer
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
I would have went down and looked at it before giving him the OK. But I think he new it was the wrong one when he called you. Why didn't he call the supplier first? I think what's done is done. Just be glad you didn't have to pay the full tilt. Just wait until you renew the insurance and you'll probably find out you are going to.

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote