Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Rear Blow Out on I-80 Nebraska

Driving through Nebraska on Thursday afternoon on our way back home to NJ from Sacramento.

At 3:08PM, my wife is on the phone with John Deere trying to arrange a factory tour when we hear a 'POW' come from the back of the coach. My TPMS starts beeping immediately and I see that the right outside dually has ZERO PSI.

I pull to the side of the road and confirm we have a flat but tire is intact so I tell my wife that we will drive on one dual to the next exit. Exit 379 is about 3 miles down the road - Seward, NE - not the megalopolis where you would expect to find a tire repair shop...

As we pull off the exit, I see a sign that says 'truck wheel polishing' and figure that place would know where I could get a tire. I pull in to the ample parking lot and Josh comes out to greet me. After explaining the situation and him looking at the tire size, to my amazement, he says 'I think I have one in back.'

I follow him to the shed and sure enough he not only has one, but two 22.5 275/80 tires. Used but in good shape and -hopefully- good enough to get me 1200 miles home until I can buy 6 new tires.

I pull the coach and toad into his big garage (doors on both sides so didn't even have to unhook the toad!) and he and his workers get right on it. Here is the hole they found:

Slapped the new tire on, put in 100 PSI, mounted it and I paid the bill (happily - $300 - not a bargain but it was the only game in town) and was on my way at 4:07PM - 59 minutes since the blow out!

Drove all the way home with no further issues.

Will now begin shopping for new tires. Was hoping they would last this one more trip. 2007 tires with 60k miles on them.

If you are in Seward, NE, Cross & Sons get my highest recommendation!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the positive thread.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Wow! That was an amazing piece of luck for you!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you had such a good outcome. Now tell us what kind of tire.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
$300 was a steal! There was labour to remove and reinstall 2 tires and likely balance along with 2 supplied tires. I'd do that deal all day long. You were lucky on all counts with no coach damage.

I would have bought a lottery ticket!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Driving through Nebraska on Thursday afternoon on our way back home to NJ from Sacramento. At 3:08PM, my wife is on the phone with John Deere trying to arrange a factory tour when we hear a 'POW' come from the back of the coach. My TPMS starts beeping immediately and I see that the right outside dually has ZERO PSI. I pull to the side of the road and confirm we have a flat but tire is intact so I tell my wife that we will drive on one dual to the next exit. Exit 379 is about 3 miles down the road - Seward, NE - not the megalopolis where you would expect to find a tire repair shop... As we pull off the exit, I see a sign that says 'truck wheel polishing' and figure that place would know where I could get a tire. I pull in to the ample parking lot and Josh comes out to greet me. After explaining the situation and him looking at the tire size, to my amazement, he says 'I think I have one in back.' I follow him to the shed and sure enough he not only has one, but two 22.5 275/80 tires. Used but in good shape and -hopefully- good enough to get me 1200 miles home until I can buy 6 new tires. I pull the coach and toad into his big garage (doors on both sides so didn't even have to unhook the toad!) and he and his workers get right on it. Here is the hole they found: Slapped the new tire on, put in 100 PSI, mounted it and I paid the bill (happily - $300 - not a bargain but it was the only game in town) and was on my way at 4:07PM - 59 minutes since the blow out! Drove all the way home with no further issues. Will now begin shopping for new tires. Was hoping they would last this one more trip. 2007 tires with 60k miles on them. If you are in Seward, NE, Cross & Sons get my highest recommendation!
Thanks for the post and congratulations on the great and safe outcome. I see your coach is an '07 so I assume the tires are OEM. Have you ever checked the manufactured date on your tires? They could easily be late '05 or '06 tires.

If you are an FMCA member, check their national account Michelin pricing.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Good to here its good in august I lost a inner rear took out floor exhaust gas filler hose about $100 of gas On I45 your lucky mine were 5 years old
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing Josh should have told you is to replace BOTH tires on that wheel.. never replace half a wheel as drivinn on half a wheel does serious damage to the other half.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I was truly blessed in this situation.

The tires are Michelin XZE. The closest marking I can find to a manufacture date is a '3706' which indicates the tires are about 7-8 years old.

There has been a ton of debate on this forum and all over the internet about when to replace tires. Some say as short as 5 years and other sites, including some manufacturer sites, say as long as 10 years. I was hoping to get this one last trip out of the tires and was starting to research replacement of all tires in the spring.

Went with the used tire on the road because it had similar wear compared to the inside dually and just needed something to last 1200 miles until I got home. I did not want to make a quick decision to replace all 6 or buy whatever new tires were available and then have to live with those tires for the next 5-7 years.

Will be storing the coach in my barn this weekend so I have all winter to research my tire options!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I was truly blessed in this situation. The tires are Michelin XZE. The closest marking I can find to a manufacture date is a '3706' which indicates the tires are about 7-8 years old. There has been a ton of debate on this forum and all over the internet about when to replace tires. Some say as short as 5 years and other sites, including some manufacturer sites, say as long as 10 years. I was hoping to get this one last trip out of the tires and was starting to research replacement of all tires in the spring. Went with the used tire on the road because it had similar wear compared to the inside dually and just needed something to last 1200 miles until I got home. I did not want to make a quick decision to replace all 6 or buy whatever new tires were available and then have to live with those tires for the next 5-7 years. Will be storing the coach in my barn this weekend so I have all winter to research my tire options!
It's true that tire life discussions and opinions are all over the place. The manufacturers are hard to pin down on the subject and it's easy to understand why. They lost control over that tire when it went out the door. Michelin says that if you have tires in service when they are ten years old, you should take them out of service regardless of appearance. Unfortunately some people interpret that to mean that Michelin is endorsing running their tires ten years. That also say that at 5 years of age the tire should be professionally inspected, inside and out. Folks don't pay attention to that recommendation they prefer to go with the 10 head tire life interpretation. Tire life is more the product of environment and service conditions than any other factor. Heat and road hazards are the big killers of tires. Run under inflated for a few hundred miles and your tire life goes down and it never comes back. Hit a big pot hole or bridge transition and maybe bruise the tire or pinch the sidewall. The tire may not fail immediately but it may fail unexpectedly later.

Weigh the facts and consequences and make an informed decision on your tire life expectations and plan accordingly.

Although your tires were right on the cusp of replacement, I certainly can't fault the fact that your were going to get one more trip out of them. I would have most likely have done the same. Your experience and report will impact my decision making when I'm in that position.

Thanks for sharing.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Tires were inspected, rotated and balanced in March 2012 after I noticed some uneven tire wear from what turned out to be a loose front bearing. History of the tires is somewhat variable:

2007 model purchased as a new leftover by me in June 2008 so probably sat for 2 years.

Stored during winter outside under Tyvex cover on gravel pad from 2008 through 2011 and used 4-8 weeks per year. Put rubber pads under tires during winter.

Stored in heated barn from early 2011 to present and still used 4-8 weeks a year.

About 60k miles on the tires so they were definitely due for replacing.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom, glad to hear you are back safe in New Jersey.

I just received the current issue of Motorhome magazine and there looks like they have a article on tires.

This is my personal opinion is based on working on cars for over ten years and working with various tire manufacturers.

The manufactured I always have been most impressed with (especially after spending a week in their corporate headquarters in South Carolina) is Michelin.

It looks like you had a good run with many miles on your current set of Michelin's
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

From the picture, my guess is all that sitting in one spot caused the cords/plies to weaken and time caught up with the tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

I just read the Michelin truck tire warranty and passenger car/light truck warranty. Both state "flat-spotting caused by prolonged sitting in one spot" voids the warranty. Michelin, by that statement recognizes the damage caused by prolonged storage, unmoved.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote