Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
If you blow an inside Duel- the TPMS will report late- way too late- your Coach will Vibrate and shake and you'll need to pull off where ever you are ! And Change the Tire or make the Roadside Call !
Our TPMS reported a low tire well before there was an issue. Was the tag but it caught the tire at the low limit and voila we were able to get to a tire shop and have the tire repaired (not replaced).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #16

I had that happen last January. We were driving from our home in northern Illinois and paused at a rest stop on I-57 south of Champaign. Doing a walk around at the rest stop the outside dually on the passengers side was soft to the touch, no pressure at all to speak of.
It had made no unusual noises it didn't feel any different while driving.
It turns out that the valve stem extension was loose and let all of the air out. The rest stop was about 150 miles from home so we'd driven on it a while. The temperature was below freezing so that may have helped us stay afloat.
I carry a compressor and was able to reinflate the tire. From there we were good to Texas and back.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RV Vagabond"....To answer your question regarding a flat tire versus just a low tire, you should see the outside dual "squatting" when the inner dual is flat. Dual wheels are typically used to support more weight than one tire can handle and will show when one tire is flat. The only exception would be an unloaded pick truck which can easily support the weight with one tire when empty.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We ran cross-fire air monitors on our oilfield trucks for many years. Always had good service out of them. I'm thinking about installing a set on my Seneca.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Our TPMS reported a low tire well before there was an issue. Was the tag but it caught the tire at the low limit and voila we were able to get to a tire shop and have the tire repaired (not replaced).
My point is or was If you have a Blowout your TPMS is worthless
Unless it provides an adequate Pre warning of the Failure ! which most of them don't .
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My point is or was If you have a Blowout your TPMS is worthless
Unless it provides an adequate Pre warning of the Failure ! which most of them don't .
Dont know. They say they have a rapid loss feature. Not sure what you are envisioning. Generally if a tire "blows" up it would be because it was already running low air pressure or you hit something on the road.

Cant think of many other scenarios where a tire will suddenly disintegrate except possibly a separation. I have only had one tire separate (half ton) and prior to the tire failing I noticed a vibration.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that in a sudden catastropic failure nouthing wwill help. However the vast majority happen because of running on low preshure. A TPMS will alert you to the leak in time to do something.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #22

Which tire will blow in a dual wheel arrangement ?

The low one from sidewall flex but carrying little load, or the full one carrying more than its rated load ?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Which ever one heats beyond its limits IMO. It will probably be the full one as the low one will have the same flex as the full one.

Getting ready to go so reinstalling all of the sensors and programming the receiver.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If you blow an inside Duel- the TPMS will report late- way too late- your Coach will Vibrate and shake and you'll need to pull off where ever you are ! And Change the Tire or make the Roadside Call !
UM...A true "blow out" will normally be felt by the seat of the pants immediately but I highly doubt a TPMS will be "way too late" depending on what you mean by that. A bumpy road might mask a blow out for some but the steering wheel will not lie.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Which type of flat is more likely to happen, a blow out or a gradual loss of pressure?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Which tire will blow in a dual wheel arrangement ?

The low one from sidewall flex but carrying little load, or the full one carrying more than its rated load ?
Either? LOL BTW...if there was one carrying the bulk of the load I don't think the other one would be flexing much on level surfaces. So, I would guess the overloaded tire would be more susceptible to instant failure.

Let's face it...no TPMS will stop a blow out and blow outs can happen for a whole host of reasons. As some keep referring to, no amount of pre-flight tire thumping will tell you the state of tire pressure and temps 30 seconds after you start rolling either.

TPMS provide information that users can use, ignore or store for future research. Their sole core mission is to provide users enough information to make smart choices and give them a chance to see if something is starting to go south.

In the case of a single tire of a dual set blowing out...

Obviously the other tire will absorb all of the load carrying on that side and will be seriously in danger of going next without immediate an appropriate actions on the driver's part. If that tire was not properly inflated to the minimum it should have had, it gets even dicier.

Once the situation is recognized and tire/wheel well conditions are sorted out, it would seem reasonable to be able to drive short distances at very slow speeds to get serviced. It MIGHT be reasonable to inflate the remaining tire up to it's max pressure realizing that the tire is HOT but you won't really be over inflating it if you only inflate it to the stamped max pressure.

If one is able to make a short drive the TPMS will help keep tabs on the tire temps and pressure. HOWEVER...that over loaded wheel could still blow so...be very prepared.

In the end, I don't endorse driving on a flat dual for anything but the very shortest of distances but coaches with tag axles might have a little more cushion to protect from the potential of the a second blow out on the same side.

YMMV!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
If you can't get a TPMS than get a club, truck stops sell them, and thump the tires every time you stop for a break.. you will hear quite a difference in the sound of thumping your tires.. It is not perfect by any means but it could help.
In controlled blind testing it has been shown that most drivers have trouble being withing 30% of actual inflation using a club.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Either? LOL BTW...if there was one carrying the bulk of the load I don't think the other one would be flexing much on level surfaces. So, I would guess the overloaded tire would be more susceptible to instant failure.

I have seen more tires that were very low on air disintegrate (blowout) rather than just failing due to high load only.

Let's face it...no TPMS will stop a blow out and blow outs can happen for a whole host of reasons. As some keep referring to, no amount of pre-flight tire thumping will tell you the state of tire pressure and temps 30 seconds after you start rolling either.

If someone feels that checking the air pressure before a trip is adiquate I would ask why they have all those gauges on the dash. After all you can check oil level and water level before you start a trip so why not save the weight and remove all those unnecessary warning gauges?

TPMS provide information that users can use, ignore or store for future research. Their sole core mission is to provide users enough information to make smart choices and give them a chance to see if something is starting to go south.

In the case of a single tire of a dual set blowing out...

Obviously the other tire will absorb all of the load carrying on that side and will be seriously in danger of going next without immediate an appropriate actions on the driver's part. If that tire was not properly inflated to the minimum it should have had, it gets even dicier.

Once the situation is recognized and tire/wheel well conditions are sorted out, it would seem reasonable to be able to drive short distances at very slow speeds - The appropriate max speed when carrying 200% load is about 4 mph - to get serviced. It MIGHT be reasonable to inflate the remaining tire up to it's max pressure realizing that the tire is HOT but you won't really be over inflating it if you only inflate it to the stamped max pressure. It also might be very unsafe to inflate a tire that had been operated in overload for any distance as the body may have been weakened with greater than design limit flexing.

If one is able to make a short drive the TPMS will help keep tabs on the tire temps and pressure. HOWEVER...that over loaded wheel could still blow so...be very prepared.

In the end, I don't endorse driving on a flat dual for anything but the very shortest of distances but coaches with tag axles might have a little more cushion to protect from the potential of the a second blow out on the same side.

YMMV!!!
See comments in RED

Properly loaded and inflated tires do not fail from "Blowouts: which are more correctly Run Low Flex Failures.

When one tire in a pair of duals suffers a 20% or greater loss of air, its companion may suffer structural damage that can lead to a 2nd failure minutes to weeks later.

Without TPMS you have no way of knowing you have lost air until it is too late to save EITHER tire. With TPMS it is POSSIBLE to stop soon enough to save BOTH tires if you stop as soon as the TPMS warning goes off. BUT there are a number of conditions that must be meet if you want to save the cost of replacing BOTH tires.