Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

rear tire problem

Ok this might be long.

I just put on some used tires about 3 weeks ago. I was just looking to get thru this season before buying new. I have put on around 800 miles since then. a week ago I noticed black powder on the rear on the coach and didn't put a ton of thought to it since I was just around where asphault was being done. I figured it had to be from that.

Well after this past weekend I noticed there was more. so I investigated it a little. What I found was both rear tires on the passenger side are bald as bald can be......at first I thought wow must have been rubbing on the mud flap....then I thought no there is no where on that......so I am confused on why tires would do this.

I have been having issues with a air line leak on the rear air bag on that side. I kinda wonder if it was maybe rubbing on the wheel well when hitting bumps..

Is there anything else it could be? I am just gonna break down and get new tires but I want this solved before I do.

TY for any help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Were the tires the same size,not to big for rim and rubbing on sidewalls between the tires. Jim
Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

All 4 on the rear are the same size and tread wear until now.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

I think a brake problem may safely be ruled out, a dragging brake will not grind off rubber like that without a lot of smoke also being created. Kinda sounds like the tires were being dragged sideways. Is the rear axle in alignment? Are the tires on the driver-side showing any signs of abnormal wear? Unload the air bags and check for tire to chassis clearances, if that air bag is causing the problem this might prove/disprove this possibility.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

the tires on the other side have normal wear.

I did let out all air of the bad and nothing appears to be rubbing.

Is it possible since these tires are only 2 ply side wall that the extra weight on that side from the air bag leaking down could cause the tires to heat up and wear fast?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If at only 800 miles and the tread is gone, I think that something must be rubbing on the tires - maybe have someone follow you for 10 miles or so and see if they can determine what it is. I would think you could see where the rubbing occurred - frame or mudflaps, etc. Someone riding in the back might be able to hear it.
You might as well fix/replace the air bag just to eliminate it from the mystery. I bet it and maybe another suspension issue is contributing (like leaf springs with a broken clamp).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a chance that the side with the excessive wear is your heavy side in conjunction with some of the above questions.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Very sure that's the heavy side. Fresh tank is right there and with bag going down the coach leaned to that side.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

well I believe I have the airbag situation solved now.. I am gonna go get 2 used tires installed tomorrow morning. I was just going to get 4 new ones for the rear but I want to see what happens. I hate to waste 800 on new tires to be wasted like these ones.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
When you are getting two used tires installed today, look and see if you can see the wear point. If something is touching and wearing the tread off in 800 miles, there will be a mark somewhere.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

When I had the tires off I saw no signs. I believe at this point it had to do with the extra weight on that side from the low airbag. I believe they got hot and just gave up the fight. The outer was worn more than the inside tire.

Well I am gonna hope for the best now. I have a 500 mile trip planned for Labor Day weekend.