Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Rear View Cameras

Hi, all...
I could use a little input and help on deciding about a rear view camera system.

We're getting a new (to us &#128526 truck and camper combination and I would like to get a full-fledged rear view camera system (NOT just a backup camera -- I would like the whole nine yards: left lane/right lane views along with behind)

I'm not even at the point of trying to decide on any brand yet: my question is even more basic:
Should I have the dealer install their Chevy Silverado "integrated, 3 camera, rear plus side views" towing camera system?
Or should I go for a high quality triple-view aftermarket package ?

I've purchased the truck and the dealer is now putting in a couple of other upgrades we want.

The dealer installed system looks very nice -- it has the cameras hidden in the outboard side of the towing mirrors and the rear-view camera will be mounted on the camper rear (after we purchase the camper&#128513
It all looks very slick and the online videos are nice but I have one (major) caveat:

Anyone who has experience with this system please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong -- but it appears that the camera images take over the entire "infotainment system" screen while in operation.

This seems like a big red flag to me...I can easily envision a situation where my favorite passenger is helping me navigate a difficult bit of city freeway mayhem by watching the onscreen map while I simultaneously want to watch what's happening in all three lanes.

If anybody out there with experience with the integrated Chevy Silverado tow camera system could give me any input on how it works and how they like it I would really appreciate it...
philippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippo View Post

This seems like a big red flag to me...I can easily envision a situation where my favorite passenger is helping me navigate a difficult bit of city freeway mayhem by watching the onscreen map while I simultaneously want to watch what's happening in all three lanes.
With all due respect you won't like this reply but use your mirrors. They always work. What are you going to when the camera fails or the lens becomes covered in road spray? Pull over? You don't need a navigator and you don't need cameras. Bus drivers and truck drivers have neither and can navigate the "mayhem" quite well without them.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
With all due respect you won't like this reply but use your mirrors. They always work. What are you going to when the camera fails or the lens becomes covered in road spray? Pull over? You don't need a navigator and you don't need cameras. Bus drivers and truck drivers have neither and can navigate the "mayhem" quite well without them.
I agree.

We survived for between 35 and 40 years and about 300k miles all over the US and AK with only mirrors on our TC's. Our last TC, a 11.5' Caribou, had a window at the bottom of the door that I could monitor the toad, or whatever we were towing through. I could view it through the interior rear view mirror of the truck. We had it for 23 years and about 200k miles.

After it, about 4 years ago, we got an older class A that did not have a way to monitor the toad, no window or back up camera. By that time we were towing nearly all the time and a backup camera was the first thing I installed so I could monitor what we were towing. It also provides a good view if the road behind as well as vehicles starting to pass. Now I use it and the combination mirrors ( wide angle and direct) to see what is behind and beside me, but primarily the mirrors.

I also agree that it can get too cluttered and difficult to monitor all the changing "pictures" inside, as well as the mirrors. I have a hard time in city traffic on an interstate with only a backup camera, gps, and mirrors.

My thought would be to keep it simple at first and add on as/when needed.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
KISS

Keep It Simple ...

I can't begin to imagine the gawd-awful distraction of an LCD monitor and three (!) camera views. I can easily imagine staring at the damned thing, then looking up just in time to plow into the vehicle ahead because I'd become so distracted.

I drove over 600,000 accident-free miles with two side mirrors enhanced with a small wide-angle spot mirror at the bottom of each. There was no interior rear view mirror nor a back window in the cab. It was blocked by the 58-ft. reefer trailer I was pulling.

This served through 47 states and three Canadian provinces, and in cities from New York City to Los Angeles.

My order of priorities was the right-hand side (aggressive drivers passing on the no-pass side, or trying to cut me off while making a right-hand turn); then the mirror on my driver side, to monitor traffic openings and clearances in case I needed to move over; and then the roadway ahead, at least two vehicles in front of the vehicle I was following. By watching them, I get a 'heads up' of what he will do, and I can react at the same time he does.

My eyes and attention rotate round & round the mirrors and the view ahead, always keeping in mind a situational awareness picture for the inevitable SHTF scenario. (sh*t hits the fan)

First word of advice from my earliest flight instructor: "Keep your damned eyes and head OUTSIDE the cockpit!"
Graybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

Going to install a rear camera on my rebuild 1994 caribou thinking about above the rear door. I am redoing the top and all the side and rear fiberglass. Think this is a good time to run hard wire for lights, speakers, camera and anything else like back up lights. The camera will be an added plus for watching the toad and for backing up. Can see advantage for cars that might be coming up from behind trying to pass left or right.
Having the camera on full time would be a benefit for seeing what’s behind you but not replace the mirrors.
WinslowRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 AM   #6

Most cameras have 130 degree viewing area, which gets a nice wide view at your rear and coming up on your sides. Rearviewsafety.com has multiple camera kits, both wired and wireless. I opted for a wireless system with a monitor that supports multiple cameras (I only needed one).

If you think your confidence and safety level might increase with cameras then go for it.
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

I use the camera(s) as another way to make it easy to see what's going on back there. And use the mirrors too.

If it was legal, I would get rid of the mirrors and just use cameras and well placed monitors. I am positive that this will be the way of the future for all vehicles. Less expensive, better economy, less things to hit, better looking, less noise.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
WDW

The truck driver friend of mine once told me that if you can’t drive with mirrors on a big rig you probably should not be driving it.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post

I agree, total waste of money. Who cares whats going on behind you when you're going forward. Concentrate on the road ahead, not behind.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #10

Another probably not what you want to hear comment. I use my mirrors when driving. I do have a rear camera but only use it to check to toad periodically. The more distractions you have the less you are looking forward.

Tadibrothers has and wide selection of systems and their customer service can't be beat.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
Monitor Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
Another probably not what you want to hear comment. I use my mirrors when driving. I do have a rear camera but only use it to check to toad periodically. The more distractions you have the less you are looking forward.

Tadibrothers has and wide selection of systems and their customer service can't be beat.
Exactly, I use my mirrors fine to change lanes but cannot see the toad at all with anything unless the turn is sharp. I have a rear view camera as well as side view cameras. Rear view only works when in reverse. I have been thinking of adding another blue toothed to iPhone so I can occasionally see the toad.

I have emergency break away but would like to be able to see if it was on fore or anything else that might happen back there and not operate on a leap of faith
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #12

WOW! Pretty harsh responses IMO
I have 3 cameras in our MH and like having them.
I can simply turn it on when towing to show the rear view.
Side cams are triggered by the turn signals and can be useful in some situations... especially lane changes.
I feel they are one more view of surroundings and can be useful to confirm surroundings before making a move.
I use the R cam more often as display is close to my field of view looking at R mirror.
L side cam not used much as display is opposite my field of view for L mirror.
I do glance at rear view before lane changes to get a clue as to what's behind / coming up in the lane I'm trying to move towards.
I would bet that if trailers all had rear cameras OTR drivers would use them but not as easy when swapping trailers constantly.
Just an opinion ?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:16 AM   #13

Cameras vs. Mirrors:
Distraction: if the camera monitor(s) are just showing you the road view angles, no more distraction than the mirrors that are currently showing you the same view. We are not talking about monitors playing a movie...though that's possible when parked... Cameras that are triggered by Reverse only or with turn signals are a little more distracting than specific monitors that always display the camera that is relevant ie: the right passenger side monitor (near A pillar) always displays the rear side view. It doesn't "flash on" (distracting, especially at night).

Dirty camera: Mirrors get dirty too. And ice bound. It will be easier to clean a tiny camera lens than it currently is to clean a large set of mirrors. All it would take is a quick higher pressure spritz of washer fluid to clean. Surprised I haven't seen a kit for that even for current rear view cameras (that are now legally required on all autos). Plumb it off the rear window washer (auto)...would just need a solenoid to divert the water...

Visibility: No comparison here. Properly located camera(s) and properly located monitors (probably in line of sight where you glance at your current mirrors) are much better visibility. This is the single biggest benefit, especially with RVs / Semis. See all 360 view around the vehicle. Not just the sideview as with mirrors.

Nighttime: This is currently an issue with most all cameras but fixable with infrared light that won't affect glare visibility of vehicles in the rear. This is not fixable with a mirror.

Cost: I am thinking cameras will be short term more expensive. Cheaper as the volumes go way up (as they are trending).

Insurance cost: Mirrors are always getting hit and when they do, require the body to be repainted. Cameras not.

Security: Same cameras can be plugged into a Network Video Recorder (NVR) and be motion / time triggered to record who's lurking. Mirrors have not side benefit.

Appearance: Exterior mirrors are ugly. Cameras will be nearly invisible.

Obstruction: Mirrors are always in the way. Cameras not.

Aim: motorized cameras or wide angle cameras that are "aimed" with software are in the future. Less expensive than motor drive mirrors as there would be less to mechanically move.

Reliability: Mirrors get the nod here. Cameras / electronics are getting way better but not perfect.

Fuel Efficiency: Cameras have much less aero drag. If you look at most future eAuto designs....they don't have mirrors.

Wind noise: Cameras have less aero drag / disturbance.

It's just a matter of time before the laws are changed due to the above criteria that OEMs are able to upgrade beyond old fashioned mirrors. I think I have read that this charge is already in progress. Not sure what would happen legally if one removed their old fashioned mirrors and replace them with equivalent view camera / monitors. I am guessing energy efficiency is the primary driver for law change.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #14

I can't see a closely-following car or our toad in my mirrors. Distractions in front (for instance, a child started to run across 3 lanes of heavy traffic in frong of us last time I drove the rig) can break your mental image of what's directly behind you. I personally find the rear view camera very handy. The side ones on our NTU rig don't seem to help much vs. the mirrors, and while I thought I'd really like them I don't wind up using them much.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera