Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

rebuilt title

what is the danger in buying an inexpensive tt with a rebuilt title that seems to be in very good condition?
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some insurance companies won't insure it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #3

It may have hidden flood damage. Think Katrina.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hard to resale.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

I would need to know more about the reason for the rebuild? They are often called "salvage" on the titles as well. Not so sure I'd be interested in one that's been flooded, but for instance, if collision damage has been properly performed (having been confirmed by a third party expert) you could have a pretty good deal available?

I've owned and done them, and never had trouble insuring one, but that's just me. Not going to say you would never run into that, but it would seem to me pictures or an inspection should handle any that might be in question?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

All of the reasons above. They can also be a really good buy if everything done correctly. So its up to the buyer as always !
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
what is the danger in buying an inexpensive tt with a rebuilt title that seems to be in very good condition?
Being the optimist that I am my outlook is slightly different.
The biggest danger is that you might get great deal, learn to love camping and change your whole lifestyle.
Inspect it with a professional and if it was repaired correctly, then buy it, use it and have fun. Over the past 15 or so years I have bought and repaired at least a dozen salvaged cars and trucks. every one of them was as good or better than it was before being damaged. I sold almost all of them to friends and relatives, saved them untold thousands of dollars over the same car if bought from a car dealer. It does not take but a small bump up to total a vehicle, the main reason being $100 an hour labor rate, painting materials for a "normal" vehicle being at least $2000.00. example being that if you have an older car and someone keys it all the way around, they will total it for the above reasons. But is there anything wrong with it, of course not, it's just the way our crazy system works.
Sorry about the rant but everyone who deals with salvaged titled vehicles are not crooks as most people think.
Let's say you get it for $5000 dollars, use it for three or four years and have fun using it, who cares what it's worth. You cant put a price on the fun you just had, time spent with the family is priceless. Life is so short, I hope you are a younger person and don't wait until you can afford to travel, I started in 1971 with a "pop-up" when I was 19, my best friend and I loaded up and drove 600 miles to the brand new "Disney World" in Orlando and have I never slowed down. I guarantee you I would be a very rich man if I had never started camping and seeing our great country, but I cannot put a price on the memories that I carry around with me. Now at 59 the wife and I need a little more comfort so I have a 40 DP, every time we go somewhere and school is out at least one of the grand-kids go with us, put a price on that.
tpdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If the repair was done right, no real problem at all (except some people won't want it when you try to trade or re-sell). If not done right, anything is possible. For example, frame damage can be hard to see and may show up as unusual tire wear after a year of use.

Still, it's pretty easy to "total" a trailer because there is a tremendous amunt of labor in rebuilding a badly damaged one. If you have to pay a shop $100/hour to do it, the cost is exorbitant. But if a reasonably competent guy did it on his own in a small shop or gaeage, he could pay himself $25/hr and suddenly the job becomes practical.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everything you're read in this thread is spot on. Now it just depends on you. My hang up is the resale issue. When ever I buy anything I always look at what the resale value is compared to a like unit of a different manufacturer. Reselling a salvaged title has its challenges. A majority of people will not even look at them. If resale isn't a concern and you get the unit checked out then you are safe to go. I am always on the lookout for the next great deal so I, personally, want something that will have a wider appeal in the resale department.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Everything you're read in this thread is spot on. Now it just depends on you. My hang up is the resale issue. When ever I buy anything I always look at what the resale value is compared to a like unit of a different manufacturer. Reselling a salvaged title has its challenges. A majority of people will not even look at them. If resale isn't a concern and you get the unit checked out then you are safe to go. I am always on the lookout for the next great deal so I, personally, want something that will have a wider appeal in the resale department.
On the bold, sorry, but I really must disagree. Generally you purchase something with a salvage title much less expensively. The PRICE is the attraction! You buy it cheaper, which should let you SELL it cheaper when it becomes time to sell it? People serious about buying know pricing and recognize the salvage price as an exception - which generally get the phone ringing.

If you're naive enough to try and sell something with a salvage title for the same money as something without, then I would agree it might not be an attractive deal - but it could still be!

I've never had trouble selling anything with a salvage title.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #11

I've never dealt with a salvage vehicle, but when I was looking for a 20' enclosed, I looked one that was over priced and also looked like the frame had chicken pox. I suspect it was a CA or salted road trailer.

Years ago, I read that some states don't allow a title to be labeled "Salvage". Not sure, but OH rings a bell. People would get a title for that state and avoid the salvage title stigma.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote