Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Recapped tires

I am of the age that I sometimes drift back to the simpler times on any number of subjects. One recent drift got me to wondering what ever happened to recapped tires. There was a time when truckers would get recaps and rotate them to different locations on the rigs and get several miles out of each carcass. I remember ads that touted one recap process over all others called cold cap, or something like that. Of course, they had competition claiming they had the best method. Further, are there any cases of Class A's running recaps? If not, could the reason be that motor home tires are quite often in a state of decay before they are replaced?
Oh yes, I know that those "Road Gators" that appear as soon as the temperatures rise are failed tires either recaps or not but over the road truckers are hauling way more weight. Several years ago I had a set of new tires on a fiver that shredded on a trip through the southern states.
As you may have surmised, I am getting close to needing a new set of shoes and dreading the financial pinch.

geezerb
geezerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

I too have wondered about recap tires. I drive over the road for UPS (short hauls) and they use recap tires on drive axles and also trailer axles. By law they have to use first line tires on steering axles. I have had blow out on under inflated tires but never a steering axle tire. But have had some friends that have had steering axle blowouts. I am getting ready to replace my drive axle tires very soon and I am going to look at recaps. Just keep a god eye and tire pressure and all should be good. Recap tires also go under Xray checks.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

Considering the potential for expensive damage to the coach , very few people are willing to take the risk.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #4

IMHOP, what you would save is not worth the risk. RV tires do not wear out. They ROT out so I just don't see the advantage of recaps.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
IMHOP, what you would save is not worth the risk. RV tires do not wear out. They ROT out so I just don't see the advantage of recaps.
So True on that.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
paz

Recapping bonds new tread to a tire with a supposedly good carcass but with worn out tread. With RV tires, the sidewalls normally crack from age and UV exposure long before the tread wears out. Therefore, recapping RV tires doesn't make any sense because it will be almost impossible to find tires with worn out tread that still have any useful life left in the carcass.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #7

Our tires say "regrooveable"; anyone ever done that? I don't think I have ever seen any signs at tires shops that say they offer the service.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

I have never had enough wear to even think about regrooving before the tires aged out in 5 to 6 years. A dealer near me sells 300-400 recapped tires a month to trucking firms. When I asked about using a recapped tire, his reply was to never do it on a motor home because the risk isn't worth the savings.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drive axle only. Steer axle must be new. Bandag is the only company I know of that does them. I won't do it. As stated previously my tires age out, not wear out.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires