Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
To the OP, just a guess on my part, but I think the reason they cleared the ticket is because you in essence pled guilty to not having proof of insurance when you paid the fine.

I can see where a NC LEO would be able to pull up all of your insurance information, most importantly the expiration date. However an out of state LEO probably wouldn't have access to that system. So even though you have some insurance information on your driver's license, I would guess it doesn't show the expiration date. If it does then do you have to get a new driver's license every time you renew your insurance?

If you have online access to your insurance company they will probably have the option of downloading your most recent proof of insurance card. I would recommend that you do this as I believe you could run into the same situation in any state other than NC.
Yes times 2, just get a printed copy to carry, every state I know off is going to ask you for it, I'm sure you can carry a copy to stop the hassle
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
To the OP, just a guess on my part, but I think the reason they cleared the ticket is because you in essence pled guilty to not having proof of insurance when you paid the fine.

Guess I’m not making myself clear here. I did send the court proof of insurance and it was the same doc I showed the LEO.

I can see where a NC LEO would be able to pull up all of your insurance information, most importantly the expiration date. However an out of state LEO probably wouldn't have access to that system. So even though you have some insurance information on your driver's license, I would guess it doesn't show the expiration date. If it does then do you have to get a new driver's license every time you renew your insurance?

The DL has nothing to do with insurance.. the vehicle is insured. As I said earlier in NC to register your vehicle you have to show you have insurance on the VEHICLE. And yes. You do have to renew your vehicle registration every year.

This topic started out as a thread about reciprocal agreements between states. Guess I need to be more clear in my posts.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Yes times 2, just get a printed copy to carry, every state I know off is going to ask you for it, I'm sure you can carry a copy to stop the hassle

Yes. I think I said that in my op
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #18

It should have been under Full Faith and Credit. Paying the ticket was the path of least resistance, but a call to an ADA in the county court would have probably been cheaper. I carry the cards regardless.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #19

That IS the Florida requirement, been that way for years. If someone without insurance hits you there is a dollar limit on their liability, I think it's $10,000.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #20

Just to branch this out a little further. Motorcycles are NOT required to have liability insurance in Washington. You can not travel and be legal on motorcycle in an insurance required state just because its legal in Washington.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #21

You must provide proof of Current insurance and Registration here in Arkansas if asked
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just curious, are there any states that don't require proof of insurance?

Glenn
Old 04-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Just curious, are there any states that don't require proof of insurance?

Glenn
Washington for motorcycles.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #24

Florida for motorcycles
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You don't get asked for anything but your license in Texas because by the time they are talking to you, they have run your plates and insurance. They are using license plates scanners and have the vehicle registraion, insurance, owners DL and picture on their laptop.
For the last 30+ years, USAA has sent me Texas proof of insurance cards every 6 months for all of my vehicles.
No way would I not carry one in any of my vehicles.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think you are assuming a level of efficiency in government that just does not exist.
^^^^This... Illinois....

In Illinois, I can't renew my license plate sticker without inputting my insurance information. But I am still required to carry printed proof of insurance.
One of those "duh" situations, how hard can it be to coordinate this? We own 5 vehicles and trying to remember to carry proof of insurance for every one that's renewed every 6 months at different times can be a bit challenging. So unnecessary...
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #27

Anytime I receive a insurance renewal, one copy of the proof of insurance card goes into the glove box or the driver's side pocket in the RV along with a current copy of the registration. Another set of copies goes in my wallet. They are always available.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #28

Texas 'registration' is the sticker on the windshield--lists the license plate on it. Any officer can run the plate and get the info he needs. No requirement in TX for carrying a copy of I have found it is much simpler to keep a copy of the paper the sticker came attached to--then is makes all the LEOs happy. Don't buck the system, keep the paperwork in the vehicle, done deal. If I go to Canada, you can bet I have paperwork for registration and insurance with me--they don't think much of TX up there, except to ask 'Where are your guns?"
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led