Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Reciprocical Driving Privledges?

Not whining here, just telling a story...
Back in February we were in the Florida Keys when I got pulled over (in the towed) for a traffic stop by a local Law Enforcement Officer. He asked to see my Drivers License, Registration, and proof of insurance. In North Carolina the only items we are required to have is DL and Registration..BECAUSE.. proof of insurance is required to get the vehicle registered....then...the state prints the insurance information on the vehicle registration card. Therefore the registration is proof of insurance. I explained that to the officer but he was still adamant that I must have a separate insurance company issued card.

Fast forward to a few weeks later back at home, I send off to the Monroe County Clerk of Court the required money order for the fine and something showing "Proof of Insurance". For that, I sent a copy of my NC Vehicle Registration (same one I showed the officer) on which I circled the insurance company and policy number and labeled it "Proof of Insurance".

A few days later I got back a letter saying thank you very much you are cleared of this violation in Florida.

So from now on, I guess I'll be sure to have a current insurance company issued card with me just in case...particularly when in small jurisdictions in Florida.

Lesson learned, and leaves me wondering if there's anything else relatively simple like that I should be carrying with me?
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

I hadn't realized that my insurance card had expired(we get a new one every 6 months) until I was cleaning out some receipts from my glove box.
I looked all over, and couldn't find the most recent one.
I wound up downloading my insurance company's app onto my phone and was able to get a digital copy that way.
I now make sure that I have the most recent copy in my truck and Pammi's car, but the digital copy stays up to date!
Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You don't get asked for anything but your license in Texas because by the time they are talking to you, they have run your plates and insurance. They are using license plates scanners and have the vehicle registraion, insurance, owners DL and picture on their laptop.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

Do the Texas LEOs have access to that information for all vehicles or just vehicles registered in Texas?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

In AZ you must have a piece of paper (or on your phone) showing that, at that moment you're with the cop, you have valid insurance, which means beginning and ending dates for coverage. If you don't have the info you get a citation. The way out is to mail in a copy of proof of insurance and the ticket gets dismissed.

AZ does not put insurance info into the DMV data base so a cop on the street (in any state) does not have access to your insurance info.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

It is common for me to have an expired insurance card or two. We have several vehicles and it seems we get new cards every two weeks. Here they won't write you for insurance unless they want to be a jerk.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Do the Texas LEOs have access to that information for all vehicles or just vehicles registered in Texas?
Not sure, but I'd assume it's for Texas only.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post

AZ does not put insurance info into the DMV data base so a cop on the street (in any state) does not have access to your insurance info.

That’s my point...in NC your vehicle registration is proof of insurance. If insurance is cancelled you get a letter from DMV telling you to turn in the plate or face a hefty fine OR send DMV updated insurance info for a new valid registration. Typically you’d expect, under reciprocal agreement, that to be valid proof of insurance in other jurisdictions. I think the LEO that stopped me just need to write something to show he’s on the job.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
That’s my point...in NC your vehicle registration is proof of insurance. If insurance is cancelled you get a letter from DMV telling you to turn in the plate or face a hefty fine OR send DMV updated insurance info for a new valid registration. Typically you’d expect, under reciprocal agreement, that to be valid proof of insurance in other jurisdictions. I think the LEO that stopped me just need to write something to show he’s on the job.

When I was living in Memphis there were a lot of citations and warnings issued between the 14th and 19th of month, as the officer's "Performance Standard" was issued on the 17th. A significant number of officers tried to get their quota right after the numbers came out while a bunch of others waited until the last couple of days. Smart Memphians avoided doing really stupid driving tricks those 4 or 5 days... well, at least not "more stupid" tricks. MEM has some of the worst drivers - worse than New Orleans and Philly.

Drivers from out of town were fair game and often received multiple citations to inflate the officer's performance numbers.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
POI

In OHIO, you are required to show DL, Registration, AND proof of insurance when requested. It is not uncommon for the Ohio BMV to send random letters to registered owners requiring them to submit proof of insurance back to BMV. Fail to do so results in DL suspension.
Not saying its good bad or indifferent, just how it is.

Jeff (retired career LEO)
apopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
In OHIO, you are required to show DL, Registration, AND proof of insurance when requested. It is not uncommon for the Ohio BMV to send random letters to registered owners requiring them to submit proof of insurance back to BMV. Fail to do so results in DL suspension.
Not saying its good bad or indifferent, just how it is.

Jeff (retired career LEO)

In our current times of 2 way radios and computers at dispatch, I'm curious as to why a paper registration document is required. The officer can verify in moments the validity of the license plate/vehicle match; the paper registration would give no indication if the registration had been revoked or cancelled. To my limited thinking the only documents routinely needed should be DL and proof of liability insurance.

Since I've never been a cop I'm probably missing something - can you educate me on whatever I'm missing?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I think you are assuming a level of efficiency in government that just does not exist.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the OP, just a guess on my part, but I think the reason they cleared the ticket is because you in essence pled guilty to not having proof of insurance when you paid the fine.

I can see where a NC LEO would be able to pull up all of your insurance information, most importantly the expiration date. However an out of state LEO probably wouldn't have access to that system. So even though you have some insurance information on your driver's license, I would guess it doesn't show the expiration date. If it does then do you have to get a new driver's license every time you renew your insurance?

If you have online access to your insurance company they will probably have the option of downloading your most recent proof of insurance card. I would recommend that you do this as I believe you could run into the same situation in any state other than NC.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure of other jurisdictions, but our MDT doesn’t show proof of insurance, just that you signed a form saying you had insurance at time of registration. Also, from past experience, some of the newer “economy” insurance policies ONLY cover the person listed, not every driver. I agree, it’s a PITA, but only until an uninsured driver hits you. Then we wish every driver was required to show POI.
apopj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led