Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rocker Recliner

Needed to replace the extremely uncomfortable Winnebago furnished recliner. Ours in the Sunrise 36M is permanently mounted to a pedestal base like the driver and passenger seats. It could not recline all the way, it would hit the wall or the kitchen sink. The foot rest seems to be made for a very short person and would not lift up very high at all. The seat of the chair is about 2" too high off the floor, the seat seems to be designed for a person with extra long legs. So you need long legs when sitting and you need very short legs when you use the foot rest.

Must have been two designers on that recliner chair project; a tall guy or gal on the seat portion and a short guy or gal on the foot rest and of course a third person who placed it too close to the wall and sink.

Note: the driver and passenger seat were also 2" too high and I solved that by building a 2" riser to mount the floor carpet mats to and what a difference that made in comfort while traveling. I am 5'-9" and Pat is 5'-6" considered average height, anyway not short.

We looked at the Ekornes Stressless chair in Lakeland Florida store. The Orion medium size fit us just perfect could not bring myself to spend $1,800. for one chair. Also you would have to store the separate foot rest.

Just found a La-Z-y Boy with a slim profile
Harbor Town - Rocker Recliner
Style Number: 532
Dimensions as shown:
Overall - Height: 40" Width: 28.5" Depth: 35"
Seat - Height: 17" Width: 22.5" Depth: 20"
Cost: $467.50

Very comfortable, we purchased two and will use them in our house and take one with us when we travel.

The back of the chair removes very easy by lifting up on the back and it only weighs a few pounds and the height of the base (floor to top of arm) is only 23" so when turned on its side fits through the 27" wide RV door.

I believe I will be able to "strap" it in place for travel with the Winnebago mounted Seat Belt mounted to the floor below the chair.

To use the chair I will have to move it out a little from the wall and sink area. It will work fine for us.

Bob

2008 HHR on order

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rocker Recliner

Needed to replace the extremely uncomfortable Winnebago furnished recliner. Ours in the Sunrise 36M is permanently mounted to a pedestal base like the driver and passenger seats. It could not recline all the way, it would hit the wall or the kitchen sink. The foot rest seems to be made for a very short person and would not lift up very high at all. The seat of the chair is about 2" too high off the floor, the seat seems to be designed for a person with extra long legs. So you need long legs when sitting and you need very short legs when you use the foot rest.

Must have been two designers on that recliner chair project; a tall guy or gal on the seat portion and a short guy or gal on the foot rest and of course a third person who placed it too close to the wall and sink.

Note: the driver and passenger seat were also 2" too high and I solved that by building a 2" riser to mount the floor carpet mats to and what a difference that made in comfort while traveling. I am 5'-9" and Pat is 5'-6" considered average height, anyway not short.

We looked at the Ekornes Stressless chair in Lakeland Florida store. The Orion medium size fit us just perfect could not bring myself to spend $1,800. for one chair. Also you would have to store the separate foot rest.

Just found a La-Z-y Boy with a slim profile
Harbor Town - Rocker Recliner
Style Number: 532
Dimensions as shown:
Overall - Height: 40" Width: 28.5" Depth: 35"
Seat - Height: 17" Width: 22.5" Depth: 20"
Cost: $467.50

Very comfortable, we purchased two and will use them in our house and take one with us when we travel.

The back of the chair removes very easy by lifting up on the back and it only weighs a few pounds and the height of the base (floor to top of arm) is only 23" so when turned on its side fits through the 27" wide RV door.

I believe I will be able to "strap" it in place for travel with the Winnebago mounted Seat Belt mounted to the floor below the chair.

To use the chair I will have to move it out a little from the wall and sink area. It will work fine for us.

Bob

2008 HHR on order

Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We looked at the Ekornes Stressless chair in Lakeland Florida store. The Orion medium size fit us just perfect could not bring myself to spend $1,800. for one chair. Also you would have to store the separate foot rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 2 of these chairs and the love seat in my trailer. And yes, they fit us perfectly too, that is why we bought them. They are lighter and MUCH more comfortable than anything the RV manufacturers are supplying.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #4

Bob and Pat -- I acutally put the exact same chair (different color) in my '00 Journey to replace the rocker in there. As it turns out, you can take the hoop off the old chair and it will directly mount to the base of the new chair -- holes even line up for bolts!

Note -- I got the round base to replace the rocker legs when I purchased the chair. You can take the rocker legs off this chair, and I believe the round hoop from the old chair should bolt up directly. Check it out.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #5

Bob&Pat, Thanks for the pictures of your Lazy-Boy rocker/recliner this is what my wife and I have been looking for to replace our not so comfortable rocker/recliner in our coach.
We will be going down to our Lazy-Boy dealer to see this particular model and for color matches. Ed.S
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ed here is a link where you can see all of the different fabrics available

La-Z-boy Link Harbor Town Chair

Over 1,000 Fabrics Available Plus many Leather samples.

The site lets you see the chair with the fabric you select, neat site.

Bob
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #7

This is too funny for words! We pulled the rocker recliner from our coach because we wanted another belted riding position. We installed another pedastle and a Flexsteel captains chair in its place and put the rocker recliner in the house. People keep asking: "Where did you get that extremely comfortable chair?" When we have guests many prefer the Winnebago rocker recliner to our $6000 Pauliser.

What can you say, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #8

Last May, we removed the Rest Easy Reclining sofa, and bought 2 Lazy Boy recliners, also. They are a different style than yours, but small enough to fit nicely where the sofa was, and with a lamp table between them. Soooo much more comfortable. We could never agree on how far to recline the sofa recliner.

We use the seat belts to strap them down when we travel. Works great!

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote