Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

Recomendation of a good solar shade for a class A

Hello Again! Now that I have had my MH here in Arizona for a full week I have noticed that allot of heat comes through that big beautiful windshield, I have started to look for a good solar shade and the only one's I see are mainly ones that have to be installed on the outside, can anyone recommend a good reflective solar windshield cover that can be placed inside the MH, my new MH did bring a solar and a night shade but I also want to use something more reflective during the daytime. Thanks in advanced!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #2

recomendation of a good solar shade for a class A

A shade inside will not do anything but allow the heat in and keep it inside. The Magne Shade once set up will make a remarkable difference. Will add to the life of your inside shades as well.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roll bubble foil is avail at CW and Lowes. Good for deflecting heat and insulation from cold.

Deluxe Solar Shield, 27" x 67" - Custom Accessories Inc 17920 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World

Search - windshield foil shield - Camping World
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

IMO a reflector is needed to have much effect on the sunlight-generated heat. Some sort of shiny foil. We have an external solar screen that helps a bit, but there is still a lot of heat build-up (our dash area is black!). When we stick a large foil windshield sun reflector behind the windshield, there is a marked drop in the temperature up front.

We were able to find a tall folding screen that was big enough for the RV windshield, but you can make one from foil-backed bubble insulation, available at Lowes/Depot and similar, or get an extra-wide piece from RV mail order places like PPL (see Reflective Foil Insulation rolls|bubble core for RVs - PPL Motor Homes).

As others have mentioned, a see-through screen or dark mat on the inside stops the sunlight but tends to convert it to heat on its surface, thus heating the inside anyway. However, a reflector on the inside still reflects the light back outside, generating little or no heat in the process.

The sun reflector from CW was no where near tall enough (27") for our big windshield. We eventually found one (I don't recall where - not an RV store) that was 36" tall and that works pretty well. It folds to 7"x36" and we drop it behind the sofa when not in use.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
good points Gary, Perhaps the Black or dark type kike Magna Shade on the out side for looks and a reflective bubble type on the inside..
what do you think ?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

Here is what I use. some what easy to install. You can have privacy during the day and still see out. It cuts down on heat absorption.

RVQuickShades, RV Qiick Shades,inside mount solar shades, inside mount sun shades, inside mount sunshades, inside mount RV solar shades, inside mount motor home sun shades. RV solar shades, RV sunshades,RV Quick Shades, RV Quick Shades, Inside Mounte
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Magneshade on the front. Using a heat gun I found that it drops the temp inside 15 degrees and sometimes more. I like being able to see outside during the day but if that doesn't bother you the putting a reflective barrier in the inside front should make a lot more difference when using both. I had an inside one on my previous mh and it does let heat inside so that's why I went with the Magneshade this time around.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #8

Thank You All for the great information!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Reflective bubble wrap underneath an outside windshield cover for maximum effectiveness. Also works very well to insulate and keep heat in during cooler weeks. If you are looking for an unusual / custom windshield cover contact a sign shop about getting a print on mesh, anything you want printed on it for about $150.
Pekenoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, solar