Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Recommend QUALITY Dashcam?

Can anyone recommend a good quality dashcam? We bought one off a Groupon deal and it's a piece of junk, low res, and the seller subbed in a used model with a scratched LCD, and a bad battery. It's going back.
I want one for my wife to use to document the crazies she encounters in her daily commute; it's only a matter of time before she gets hit. And I'd like one for our RV trips as well, as we've encountered numerous idiots on the highway. I don't mind spending some money if it's high res and well made. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I've had this one for two years, and it has worked great.

Truck driver video dash camera and windshield DVR cam with 720 HD recording from Dieselboss.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the one that I use in my RV. It's been trouble-free for the past 6 months and has excellent ratings on Amazon.com.

Amazon.com : KDLINKS® X1 Full-HD 1920*1080 165° Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS, G-Sensor & WDR Superior Night Mode : Electronics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kdlinks.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	112297  
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you looking for 2Channel or single channel? I have used the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with very good results. It can connect to a smart phone to download video. I like the small form factor.

There are some youtube reviews as well. Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Review

Hope this helps,
Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I looked for mine, I did some research and the below model came highly recommended. It has GPS for identifying where you're at. Has an impact sensor that automatically saves footage if there is an accident. It films in HD. I also bought a bigger SD card so mine records for 8 hours before taping over earlier footage. I did this because the quality is so good, I thought there would be times that I would be saving the footage, like when we drive through national parks.

I also bought a second power cord. I mounted one cord in my RV and one in my truck. When we get home from a trip, I move it to my truck. In both vehicles, I have the cord permanently connected. This way the unit shuts down when I turn the key off and fires up automatically when I start the vehicle.

DOD-LS460W Full HD Dash Camera with GPS Logging and WDR Technology - Newegg.com
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought the "The original Dash Cam" Vehicle Black Box. I've had zero problems and I use it while under way every time I leave the driveway.
I especially like the ones that goes from the 3rd lane (fast lane) and cut
s across all 3-4 lanes for a exit.
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #7

Where have you mounted the camera in a MH? I'm thinking if up high on the windshield it would not work with the shade as it would interfere when down or used for shading the sun. Low below the dash would be out of the way but hard to get to. On the Dash?
TbearKline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
This is the one that I use in my RV. It's been trouble-free for the past 6 months and has excellent ratings on Amazon.com.

Amazon.com : KDLINKS® X1 Full-HD 1920*1080 165° Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS, G-Sensor & WDR Superior Night Mode : Electronics
Thanks to all who responded. I went with the the KDLINKS model, it seems to do everything we want and has over 1200 positive reviews. The price seems reasonable also.
We'll also be using this camera to record trips in the MH and club drives in our little Triumph sports cars. I additionally ordered a 32 GB card which should cover extended driving time.
Amazon now has same day delivery in our area, so we'll see. Thanks again!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TbearKline View Post
Where have you mounted the camera in a MH? I'm thinking if up high on the windshield it would not work with the shade as it would interfere when down or used for shading the sun. Low below the dash would be out of the way but hard to get to. On the Dash?

I have it mounted under the rear view mirror right next to my GPS (suction cups)
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Should have looked at the Garmin Dezlcam... Designed for trucks but, like the Dezl 760LMT can be used by RVers. Records in 1080P and does snapshots as well. Like the 760, rig parameters are entered for routing compatibility. I installed a 64 Gig Micro card so it can record the entire days drive without issue. The Garmin software has the capability to overlay a map with the video so the two can be correlated. I did go with a different mount as the mount that comes with the unit is for the windshield; I have it mounted on the dash.

Tags
dash, quality