Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDogYVR View Post
Old-Biscuit: I was about to say "thanks for the time to write that but that's the stuff I know..." and then I saw one bit in there I'd like to qualify to see what I really do know...

Converter/Charger (AC to DC) supplies DC DIST Panel--Fuses when conected to AC Power Source AND Maintains Battery

So here is the sort of question that I have around RV systems. Is the above statement literally true - does the converter supply power to the DC circuits directly when plugged in or does the converter charge the batteries which are then drawn from (I know... an oversimplification...) by any loads via the fussed distribution centre.

In other words, is the converter a 12v power supply that happens to charge the battery by having higher voltage than the batteries or does it merely function to charge the batteries and the presence of DC amps in the system is used by 12v loads?

Most people won't care. I do.

Hope this helps to explain what level of knowledge I'm looking for.
The Dc supply is attached to a common distribution network.

It is best analogized like this.

Picture a Y that is a water system. One top branch is the Converter. The other top branch is the battery. The bottom leg is the load.

The converter is a river. The battery is a lake. When the river is flowing more water than the load needs the water will back up and begin filling the lake. When the river flows less than the load the lake will drain and combine with the river to take up the slack. When the river stops flowing the lake will drain until it is empty. When the load momentarily need more than the river can supply the lake will flow for just as long as needed then will begin to refill again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #16

Remove your battery and the converter will supply the DC......except for those items wired directly to battery pos post....jacks/slides/stabilizers/landing gear
Leave battery in and converter still supplies DC System..battery would supply those items connected directly while converter recharges battery drain

The converter when it has AC IN...supplies the DC Dist Panel ......DC out wires connect to bus bar where fuses pickup DC AND where Battery POS cable connects
Converter is going to be main DC supply and charge/maintain battery

ANd don't over look that trailer battery is THE DC source for Emergency Breakaway Switch (trailer brakes when towing IF trailer becomes disconnected)
SO trailer SHOULD have a battery that is charged/maintained
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #17

Kinda following up on old-biscuits remarks about needing a battery; most converter/chargers require a battery to act as a filter for the 12VDC system, as a simple chargers output is not clean(no/low noise with consistent voltage).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Kinda following up on old-biscuits remarks about needing a battery; most converter/chargers require a battery to act as a filter for the 12VDC system, as a simple chargers output is not clean(no/low noise with consistent voltage).
I did some converter shopping and what you say isn't the case with the name brand converters I looked at.

They state that they can be used as standalone regulated power supplys that will run without batteries.

If converters needed batteries to work properly, the RV builders wouldn't have disconnect switchs that switch off the battery power while the converter is still running on 120 volt shore power.

Here is a screenshot of a Progressive converter owners manual stating it will work equally well with or without a battery.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-01-10-16-13-00.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	231553
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Maybe 15 yrs ago
Battery was needed as a 'load'

Not so any more.......electronic controls eliminated that need
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Maybe 15 yrs ago
Battery was needed as a 'load'

Not so any more.......electronic controls eliminated that need
Showing my age again. I did some reading on this subject, reducing that noise/ripple is now accomplished inside the converter/charger.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
Thanks for prompting me to catch up on my ongoing education.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I did some converter shopping and what you say isn't the case with the name brand converters I looked at.

They state that they can be used as standalone regulated power supplys that will run without batteries.

If converters needed batteries to work properly, the RV builders wouldn't have disconnect switchs that switch off the battery power while the converter is still running on 120 volt shore power.

Here is a screenshot of a Progressive converter owners manual stating it will work equally well with or without a battery.Attachment 231553
As I told old-biscuit , I'm showing my age and neglecting my reading.
Our MH has a 1999 Xantrex RS 2000 inverter/charger. Maximum(bulk) charger output =100 ADC. The instructions say to turn off the charger when disconnected from battery bank.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now we're getting somewhere...

Thanks folks, especially MobileMike. Your analogy is essentially exactly what I thought was happening - I often use the "water" analogy when trying to explain electrical systems so that totally resonated with me.

And thanks Old-Biscuit for the wiring explanation of the power centre. That's what I was wondering but didn't know where the battery and the fuses/distribution "fit" in relation to the converter - series or parallel.

Thanks for going on this journey with me. I have some reading to do but this solved my most pressing question.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical