Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Question Recommendation for tools for removing oxidation on outside of RV.

I have a 2003 Monaco Rogue (class c) with painted aluminum siding. I’ve got some oxidation and discoloring on the areas which should be white. I know I need to perform some kind of surface work. I am not wanting to do this by hand. Do others use some sort of orbital polisher and polishing cream? Could I get some recommendations on what I might use? Any particular rpm rating I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I've found using Barkeeper's Friend and a mild Scotch-Brite pad very quick and easy way to restore oxidized finish. Much more control, no damage to decals, and doesn't take as long or as much energy as a heavy power buffer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

I have white fiberglass, color imbedded, with decals on my MH. I used a product called Protect All oxidation and color restorer. . Just wipe it on, let it dry and wipe it off. Worked good
Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
I have white fiberglass, color imbedded, with decals on my MH. I used a product called Protect All oxidation and color restorer. . Just wipe it on, let it dry and wipe it off. Worked good
I did a little reading on this product. The directions mention using a buffer, but in your post you stated that you wipe it on. I am guessing you just use a cloth to wipe it on or do you do any buffing?
From the Protect All website:
For use with a buffer, apply product to small section and buff with an orbital or hi-speed buffer to a high gloss shine. Allow to dry and polish with a clean soft cloth.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

The only real way to get rid of the oxidation that will somewhat last and look decent is to use a buffer. Depending on the severity of the oxidation you may be able to just use a polish, if that doesn't work a light duty compound first then followed by the polish. If you have never used a buffer before your motorhome is not the place to learn. You can also do the rubbing compound and polish by hand, just simply put some on a fine rag and "buff" it on like it's wax, then take a soft towel and buff it off. It is a lot more work but you won't have to worry about "burning" your paint.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

I just put it on with a sponge like pad, let it dry and wiped it off with a micro cloth. Came out very dirty i must say but took most of the chaulk off the behicle and the decales and left it smooth and with a shine
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

I had some left over Meguiar's in the garage, so I took some put it on a cloth and rubbed it into the surface. It wiped off the discoloration and restored the original white color (see picture below)! I am concerned though that it may be too abrasive. It's the Meguiar's medium cut (see picture of the bottle). Is there a chance this would cause scratches in the surface?
Should I follow this up with some sort of wax to protect the surface?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_190440.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	96063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_190454.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	96064  

Old 06-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I use the same Protect All on my Class A's white Fiberglass Gel Coat areas and it works great! Some of my MH has paint and decals. I use auto paint cleaner/wax for these areas. Protect All Oxidation and Color Restorer for fiberglass surfaces, just like edsperfect says!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH1481 View Post
I use the same Protect All on my Class A's white Fiberglass Gel Coat areas and it works great! Some of my MH has paint and decals. I use auto paint cleaner/wax for these areas. Protect All Oxidation and Color Restorer for fiberglass surfaces, just like edsperfect says!
Does it matter that my RV is not fiberglass? It is painted aluminum. Will this stuff still work on my application?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That product is fine for the first pass. Once you have cleaned it all with the medium cut you will need to use a polishing compound and then it should shine like new. You then will need to wax it right away or it will oxidize again very quickly.

Personally I have found that by the time you pay for the rotary buffer, several grades of buffing cream and at least two grades of buffing pads you could have paid a detail shop to do the job professionally and then all you have to do is keep a coat of wax or sealant on it. Easily $250.00 in materials to do it right and a chance you will burn the paint while you learn. Not to mention it is a very physical and time consuming job.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #11

I have finished polishing my RV. Now I am ready for applying the wax. I spoke with a Meguiar's rep who recommended and product called "Paint Protect" in a red bottle. Anybody else use this or recommend something different? I want to minimize the number of times a year I have to wax