Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #1

Recommendation for Wireless Backup Camera System

DH and I are new RV'ers and just bought an '06 Winnebago Outlook (25'11"). Although that may be small to many, it's our first and seems HUGE.

We would like to get a wireless backup camera system but don't know the first thing about them. We've heard that a tiny TV (7" or so) can be used as a monitor, or a certain Garmin GPS is compatible with a certain Garmin camera (Model Something-760, I believe), or to use an independent full backup camera system.

Does anyone here have an aftermarket system installed? If so, what is your setup like? Do you have an actual system, or a TV or GPS as a monitor? Any brand that is head and shoulders above the rest?

We would like a tilting camera of very good quality that won't be grainy...the clearer the better.

Thanks!
RVNewB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #2

I am getting the feeling that backup cameras in RV's are not popular! Anyone?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post
I am getting the feeling that backup cameras in RV's are not popular! Anyone?
Give your post a little time. 24 hours on a weekday does not allow it to be eyeballed by many.

Backup cameras are very popular on large RVs, so much so that they are standard equipment on most. This however means that many RVers won't have tried aftermarket products.

Have you Google'd "RV backup cameras"? Doing so will show a plethora of options including single camera systems as well as three-camera systems that include side cameras. Most come with a small monitor for mounting on the dash or windshield via a suction cup.

My recently purchased DP has a camera but the resolution of the display (part of the coach's audio system) sucks and the angle is all wrong for me. I have considered a number of camera options including side cameras, which I would like, as well as a desire for an more RV oriented GPS. I have decided to go with a Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera. It will provide a much improved video display as well as enable better GSP routing information.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Give your post a little time. 24 hours on a weekday does not allow it to be eyeballed by many.

I have decided to go with a Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera. It will provide a much improved video display as well as enable better GSP routing information.
Thank you! I honestly didn't mean to sound impatient, but I've found that a lot of posts are answered quickly, so I genuinely wondered if RV cameras are not a popular topic!

I did see the Garmin system you mentioned. It has mostly positive reviews, although some say it's grainy.

It's due to the plethora of choices that I decided to ask what others' experiences have been with them. My husband doesn't feel that a system is necessary, but I do. I have a micro mini-van type of car, and even that seems huge to me when in reality, it's far from it. So if I am ever in a position where I HAVE TO drive the RV, having a backup camera gives me a better shot of not doing undue damage to someone or something.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to ask the question in the technology section as well. If you search for "backup camera" on here you will find some discussions and recommendations as well. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Hello RVNew,

Like Ron said, it will take a while for this topic to be picked up and comments made. Especially this time of year when many of us are out buzzing around doing the RVing thing.

I can relate to your desire to see as much behind and to the side of the RV as possible. More info in that regard, the better. We drive a large bus conversion, and I'd feel very alone sitting up there in the driver's seat if I did not have "eyes" to the rear. The people who likely know the most about selecting and installing a rear camera system are the do it yourself bus conversion fellows. We've been there done that, and made most of the mistakes, and did the corrections along the way.

Personally, I would go with a rock-solid and reliable hard wired system. Takes some wiring effort, and a few panels have to be temporarily removed, but the result is worth the sweat. There are video systems that include side cameras, and some even have two rear cameras (one viewing the towed car, and the other angled up to see the highway far to the rear). Next consideration is the monitor size and quality. Postage stamp screens just don't hack it !! I want big, clear images, and of course the ability to split the screen to monitor more than one camera or just get a full view of a single camera.

You can check into the busconversions.com web site are read and search the forum for camera, or video, etc. I hope my friends there will be able to tell of their experiences with the various brands of monitoring systems available.

Meantime, I will do a bit of research for you and see what turns up then report back here.

Cheers .....
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post
DH and I are new RV'ers and just bought an '06 Winnebago Outlook (25'11"). Although that may be small to many, it's our first and seems HUGE.

We would like to get a wireless backup camera system but don't know the first thing about them. We've heard that a tiny TV (7" or so) can be used as a monitor, or a certain Garmin GPS is compatible with a certain Garmin camera (Model Something-760, I believe), or to use an independent full backup camera system.

Does anyone here have an aftermarket system installed? If so, what is your setup like? Do you have an actual system, or a TV or GPS as a monitor? Any brand that is head and shoulders above the rest?

We would like a tilting camera of very good quality that won't be grainy...the clearer the better.

Thanks!
Funny, I've just been going through the same thing. My 2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C DOES have a backup camera already, however, due to its age, it is a black & white 7" CRT (old) TV style display, and the camera is pointed down at the trailer hitch.
I would rather a camera that is in colour and pointed more to the rear. After a lot of reading, I decided to try a used Rand McNally RVMT-7715 off Ebay for $130.00. It does not come with a camera - these are mostly optional extras. BUT, it is designed for RV'ers and their specific needs. I think I may just Velcro it onto the face of the old CRT.
I haven't received this GPS yet, so its a work "in progress"
Bill
HamRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

I bought a cheap wireless router and webcam that I plugged into a 110V outlet (inverter) and stream the video to a small tablet in the truck. I attached the camera to the rear window using a suction cup. The setup cost me under $100 and works every time, the only drawback I noticed is there is a 0.5 sec. time delay.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Recommendation for Wireless Backup Camera System

This system (wired type) gathers high ratings: Clover TFT7001
Cost is $322.65 retail but is less from some on-line sellers. Extra cameras and cables, of course, will increase the cost.

Edit .. Oops, I think it has been discontinued. Will do more research.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I purchased from rearviewsafety.com Very helpful both before and after the sale.
I'd buy from them again. I replaced a 20year old black&white hard wired system with a 7inch color wireless system. A recent 2500 mile trip proved to me that this was a good decision. I would do it again. I hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We just purchased and installed a voyager viewing system with wisight technology! LOVE it! It is wireless, easy install, Chrystal clear pic with no interference thanks to the wiisight and excellent sound!!! Would strongly recommend as it's well worth the investment!!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

I have the cheaper model Voyager BU camera system. It works fine, but the tech who did the wiring low-balled the 12V feed to the camera, which causes the camera to run intermittently.. Instead of hard-wiring the camera, he used the old coax cable as a pos/neg feed-center wire pos, braided cable sheath as neg. Very poor workmanship.
The Voyager system works just as RCLO6 described. It replaced the OEM Sony BU system that was dead, obsolete, and no parts available. If I had it to do again, I would buy the higher-priced Voyager 3-camera system though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC06 View Post
We just purchased and installed a voyager viewing system with wisight technology! LOVE it! It is wireless, easy install, Chrystal clear pic with no interference thanks to the wiisight and excellent sound!!! Would strongly recommend as it's well worth the investment!!
RLC06, do you have a 5.6" monitor or 7"? If you have 7", do you find the stretching of the width of the picture to fit the 9:16 format of this monitor to be a problem?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #14

I wanted a wireless, but after reading dozens of dismal performance reviews decided to go with a wired and one that had excellent night vision capabilities. I settled on the 7' Rear View Safety.com brand system, but noticed the same seller had a 5.6" system for $50 cheaper, so I went with that. Here is the link and the seller accepted my offer of $155 today:
5 6" Color Rear View Backup Camera System CCD IR Audio | eBay

Tags
camera