Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #43

I got one here locally a couple of years ago. I was not paying as much attention as I should have and I did go through the red light.....it was my face in the picture and I knew when I did it that I goofed. I paid my fine (over $500) and got on with my life. It is very obvious in my ticket that it was me, my car and I was entering the intersection on the red.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I got one here locally a couple of years ago. I was not paying as much attention as I should have and I did go through the red light.....it was my face in the picture and I knew when I did it that I goofed. I paid my fine (over $500) and got on with my life. It is very obvious in my ticket that it was me, my car and I was entering the intersection on the red.
Over $500 is excessive and does not fit the offense. A $200 fine would be reasonable. This is what I mean when I say it's a money-grab for municipalities. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I just figure if one abides by the lights, one does not have to worry about the camera's.

Houston spent millions of dollars on cameras, only to have a referendum or something that voted them out. They cannot be used for traffic violations.
That's a good theory...but the companies actually running the cameras have been shown to habitually shorten the yellow light on instersections with cameras.

It's the old discussion: You have nothing to worry about your car being searched by the police if you're not hiding anything. That assumes all police are honest.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #46

Mythbusters tested this. Guess what...it doesnt work!

If you truly want to combat these things, join the National Motorists Association.

National Motorists Association Website
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Mythbusters tested this. Guess what...it doesnt work!

If you truly want to combat these things, join the National Motorists Association.

National Motorists Association Website
I have two friends in South Africa who were always receiving tickets via roadside cameras. I brought two can's of this spray to them and they said their ticked problems ended. (although their reckless driving continues!)

So at least for them it was effective.

I drive like an old lady so I have never used this product personally.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #48

Hmmmmm..... the city is going to take and spend X amount of money regardless of what the voters want. If they can take it from people who run red lights, don't stop behind the stop line, etc., then they aren't trying to get money from me by some other method.

One of the Cities back home is facing a budget crisis. One of the line items that is on the budget and bringing in less money than expected was one particular speed camera. It brought in $500,000 (half a million) less than expected/usual last year because people are getting wise to it being there.

Is that camera in a good place? I went to at least 20 roll over accidents at that exact location in the 5 years prior to it's placement, plus dozens of non rollover. None in the 2 years afterwards. Just one example, there are others with other results, that one worked well.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Got a greeting card from memphis tn. They give you 10 days to pay then double the fine. we were gone 3 months, HAD to pay $210 no recourse. Light was set 3 seconds @45mph NO WAY!!!! NOT EVER GOING THROUGH OR STOPPING THERE EVER AGAIN!!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I don't see how they are constitutional. Here in NC, the law says that 100% of revenues from traffic infractions are to go to the schools. Over 50% of the revenue from the traffic cameras goes to some company in Florida that owns and operates them.

YES NC Law does allocate the Traffic Infraction "Fine" to the Public school BUT The cost of the processing and collection for the infraction is always paid before the revenue is sent to the schools - Can you say Court Costs

Secondary, the law says that I have the right to confront my accusers in a court of law. Not possible here. Automated robo-accusing.

There are no accusers to a violation of the LAW. Red light cameras catch and identify INFRACTIONS - not crimes - there is a difference.

Thirdly, the law says right to confront my accusers in a court of law, instead they require you to prove you weren't.

The infraction is a not a criminal offense it is a civil offense - just like a parking ticket and Do you have "...the right to confront my accusers in a court of law..." for a parking ticket?

Couple all this with the shortening of yellow light durations to increase infractions and the fact that the cameras have not had a positive impact on safety, and the red light cameras all seem pointless. Just another road tax, really.

It would be very interesting to see your "proof" that, in NC there is a "...shortening of yellow light durations to increase infractions..."
phespe
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Washington State: I was sent a ticket detailing my infraction in front of the camera. Offered me a peak on line at my car in motion. After I watched it it was clear I had violated the law. However the ticket if paid was not entered as a moving violation on my record. It was recorded as a parking fine. Fair enough. The fine was $110. the ticket detailed how I could plead my case. My policy is if I am guilty I pay if not I fight like the dickens to defend myself, by myself and usually successfully in the past.

As a practical matter it was my only ticket in the last 25 years.

Make of it what you will.

I do not object to these kinds of enforcement but I will also say that the flashing signs we sometimes see along side the road telling our speed are an excellent tool; just a reminder to slow down, very effective.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My son-in-law drives an ambulance.

They got a ticket from a camera setup for running a red light while on a call.

Needless to say it was excused.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinyelm View Post
It's just another form of taxation.
That's the way I look at it. Like speeding tickets. If you are driving safely in your car (not in an RV or truck), you are probably exceeding posted speeds. So the speed trap is just a fish/barrel routene. If you drive enough miles, you'll eventually be the one they pick. Just another road use tax.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #54

In high school, in the mid 1960s, I was riding around in my buddies car, we got into a drag race and raced right by a cop. Didn't even see him until we were right next to where he was parked. Instant red lights and we went one way, the other car went the another way. Cop caught up to us and pulled us over, this was back when the State Patrol drove 428 Fords and city cops drove 396 Chevys. While he was writing the ticket, my buddy asked him why he chased us and not the other car. Cop says with a smile, "Well, since you were loosing, I figured you would be easier to catch."
I laugh every time I think about that.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #55

if the objective is to reduce accidents then they should install count down timers like they have for some cross walks. my wife and i have seen these installed in many countries and they work. it gives you information so you can safely stop.
red light cameras are about revenue period.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #56

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Red Light Cameras = municipal money grab to feed the city coffers.

Tags
camera