Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Red Line Oil

My brother in law told me that I need to start using Red Line oil in my motorhome to protect the bearing, not cheap, does anyone have any personal experience with this oil and is it worth the expense?

I have never been big on additive, but if it is worth it's weight in gold as he say, then maybe I need to reconsider.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Additives are just that. Additions to the oil you already have. If you needed them the manufacturer would require that you use them.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
agree with bdpreece

i say you should invest your money into blinker fluid, i swear by the stuff, never let me down! NOT ONCE! blinker has always flashed with no problems!

you can buy it here:

Blinker Fluid [BF-01] - $8.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

slong with many other AWESOME, MUCH NEEDED PRODUCTS!

lol enjoy! i love directing people to that site!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chris,
Hope you don't mind if I steal that link from you
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
not a problem... i love the site, glad i could share with someone!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Basically what your brother-in-law is getting at is that older engines need the zinc and phosphates that the feds have mandated be taken out of today's automotive oils because they mess up the catalytic converters the newer cars have. If you just use a good quality oil and an additive like STP oil treatment or one of the break in fluids that are basically a pint of zinc and phosphates you will be fine. I would recommend a synthetic oil.
I went thru all this with my vintage superbike. Was burning up cams and got quite an education from the cam builder on today's oils. I do use Red Line in my race bikes but they only hold 2-4 quarts so the cost isn't too bad.
ahrma175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Red Line makes oil too, not just additives...

Royal Purple is rich in ZDDP too. Something like 3400 - not the stuff in stores, thats been gutted to meet the API....

Some Mobil 1 oils still have enough too: 1000 or higher - http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/mot...duct_guide.pdf
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

YUP - current EPA-mandated oils are considerably lower in Zinc - a recognized anti-friction compound that USED to be a major ingredient in engine lubes.

The percentage content, now reduced, has been countered by engine-maker recommendations to fewer miles between oil changes - undoubtedly great for the oil producers, but sorta fouls up all the environmentalists, what with the greater abundance of used lube that has to be produced, consumed or recycled in some manner.

EPA fully recognizes the inherent damage to older engines the reduced Zinc content causes for owners - but really don't give a damn, it's their version of "let them eat cake"...

By all means, especially if you have an older engine, look into some of the better and more popular zinc containing additives - your engine will thank you in longer life and better reliability.

Of course, if you swap vehicles every few years, there's probably no benefit - but the new owner might appreciate it...

Not far down the road, we'll also see the proposed increase of Ethanol from the current 10%, raised to 15% - as with the Zinc issue, Ethanol has a proven history of fuel system damage, and an INCREASE in harmful pollutants - but the right politicians have been bought and paid for - and THEY don't really care...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Gary - K7GLD;753437]"The percentage content, now reduced, has been countered by engine-maker recommendations to fewer miles between oil changes

EPA fully recognizes the inherent damage to older engines the reduced Zinc content causes for owners - but really don't give a damn, it's their version of "let them eat cake"...

Not far down the road, we'll also see the proposed increase of Ethanol from the current 10%, raised to 15% - as with the Zinc issue, Ethanol has a proven history of fuel system damage, and an INCREASE in harmful pollutants "

Would you please sight factual examples of your statements!! I am a automotive powertrain engineer with a major automotive manufacturer and would be very interested in reading the scientific / engineering studies that support your statements.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Would you please sight factual examples of your statements!! I am a automotive powertrain engineer with a major automotive manufacturer and would be very interested in reading the scientific / engineering studies that support your statements.
Long past experience has shown me that NO amount of documentation that counters pre-existing bias will change a critics viewpoint - I sense that you disagree with my statements, so rather than ME wasting MY time, do your own homework just as *I* did - the related info IS out there and abundant, from many reputable sources - no, probably none YOU would accept - but reliable just the same...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #11

Before spending money, you might wish to read this 2003 irv2.com thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/synth...ent-12943.html
Some of the links might not work today, but there is more than adequate documentation about the synthetic vs dino oil debate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Synthetics ARE better.. no, they mostly are NOT PAO oils, and you can thank Catrol for that.. Mobil 1, which use to be fully Group IV sued Castrol for claiming that thier Group III was synthetic too. Mobil lost, and the new age of cheap Group III 'Synthetics' was born...

Why I dont buy Castrol...

But they are still better than Dino for longer or extreme use. Normal day to day, no tow, no high/low temps with 3-6k mile changes and it really doesnt matter...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Royal Purple has my vote................................
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been using Amsoil (true synthetic) for many years. Subaru #7 has 300,000 + miles. I remember a trade magazine in the steel industry 30 years ago discussing superior wear using synthetics. I switch out out all fluids to synthetics once the car is broken in, worth a couple of miles per gallon in cold weather and with the extended drain interval less expensive than conventional oil. The Amsoil microfiber oil filters are also demonstrably superior.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote