Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Red max 3

We waxed mh last fall with Red Max 3 and it was some work but results were great. With new wash this spring I noticed some of the normal black streaks from the windows. Has anyone removed these and with what? I'm thinking bartenders friend powder but thought I would check.. Would lilke to remove these without going through the wax.. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks Patrick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would try something mild first, then go up in strength from there. BKF may be too abrasive to start with. How about starting with a rag soaked in a mild solution of soap and water.

The RMP seals the pours of the fiberglass, so it should not be so hard to remove black streaks now.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Still have problems with the dark streaks from windows bleeding down over the white on our Dolphin. I thought after we waxed with 3 coats of red max 3 most everything would stay on surface. These stains have gone through the wax and I have tried barkeepers friend powder, Mr clean eraser and even lighter fluid to try to remove them. At this point it looks like we will have to completely start over and strip the wax, and clean then reapply the wax. If that is the case then 3 coats and a lot of work last fall were for nothing. Any body got any ideas? Thanks and info appreciated Patrick
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaxi View Post
Still have problems with the dark streaks from windows bleeding down over the white on our Dolphin. I thought after we waxed with 3 coats of red max 3 most everything would stay on surface. These stains have gone through the wax and I have tried barkeepers friend powder, Mr clean eraser and even lighter fluid to try to remove them. At this point it looks like we will have to completely start over and strip the wax, and clean then reapply the wax. If that is the case then 3 coats and a lot of work last fall were for nothing. Any body got any ideas? Thanks and info appreciated Patrick

Even if you take some wax off cleaning streaks, feather it out with a scotch pad or something similar and touch up that spot.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Still have problems with the dark streaks from windows bleeding down over the white on our Dolphin.
That's odd, I don't have any problem removing black streaks with a rag and some household spray cleaner. The cleaner doesn't harm the sealant, still shines after I'm done.

Certain things I've tried do not work on black streaks, like soap and water with a scrub pad. That would probably remove the coating anyway.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Try some TSP. Sounds like you already know to be careful. Start from the bottom and work up. Clean streaks are worse!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Had the same problem after two coats of paste wax, where I had not waxed
the steaks came off.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I wased my TT yesterday, finally. Had some black streaks comming down from the gutters and off of the ladder. Tried the usual suspects with little sucess.

Then I hauled out the big guns: OEM Jeep Dodge Mopar Super Clean Bug And Tar Remover 16oz.4886330AB | eBay

Alternatively sourced at: Mopar OEM Super Kleen Bug & Tar Remover - AutoTruckToys.com

I got mine with the turck last fall. This is a petrolium based product and will probably remove wome wax. But, it cuts through the black line with the greatest of ease.

Follow these instructions to the letter:

1. Use a clean cloth.
2. Fold your cloth in quarters, or so.
3. Dampen your cloth with the Super Klean. DO NOT SOAK THE CLOTH!!!
4. Place the cloth against the top of the black streak and pull down, lifting up towards the end of the stroke. This is a stroaking motion, DO NOT USE A CIRCULAR MOTION. (Ask me how I know.)

Now rewax the areas you just cleaned and stand back and be in awe.

Dang, this stuff works.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

If you have already waxed your coach I would use a cleaner type wax and even smear a layer and let it soak it. Re-apply your favorite wax after streak is gone. Any type of cleaner that eats it off is eating the wax, finish and paint too to a certain degree. I found that when RV stored to store it so all roof water runs off one corner only and then you mostly have one streak to deal with. I've taken a knife and neatly trimmed the typical gray putty from around everything on the outside, cleaned with paint thinner and when dry ran a bead of good quality clear silicone around everything. This cuts down on alot of the streaking.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #10

Where do you guys buy the red max 3? I can't find it anywhere and i went to a couple of lowes and they don't have it and it's not on they're system so they can't even order it for me? And another question is can it be used on fully painted rv's or only the fiberglass ones?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

After reading this thread I am pretty confident I don't want to ever use Red Max.
Ill stick to "Turtle Ice" and merely wipe any black streaks off.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
Where do you guys buy the red max 3? I can't find it anywhere and i went to a couple of lowes and they don't have it and it's not on they're system so they can't even order it for me? And another question is can it be used on fully painted rv's or only the fiberglass ones?
RMP was manufactured by ZEP exclusively for Lowes, but has been discontinued. A previous poster stated ZEP High Traffic Floor Polish has been determined to be the same product. (on another thread)

The main use of this product came about as a solution for sun damaged gelcoat. I don't think I would use it on a painted surface.