Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Using the flat microfiber mop is only good if you use a spray bottle. I filled up a spray bottle with the RMP, sprayed the mop head, the I could reach any where without the ladder. I did use the ladder on the end caps , and some hard to reach places, but then I simple sprayed the areas and wiped them with my cloth.

The spray bottle is the key to really doing it fast. When you get down to the basement doors, simply spray the door, and wipe with a microfiber cloth. The fastest and easiest application, comes from using a spray bottle, a microfiber flat mop with handle, and a microfiber pad. On the big flat surfaces you can reach without ladder, you can take the mop head off the handle, and really do a quick smooth application. I did not figure all this out until after I did the bucket and rag thing on the first coat. I wear a portable oxygen tank, and I was exhausted after the first coat, going up and down the ladder, bending over to dip the rag etc.

After I started using the flat microfiber mop, the application speed was cut in half, and I feel I was giving it a more even coat.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also, one more thing, if you spray the stuff on the mop head, drips will be eliminated. It was almost like painting with a roller.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Using the flat microfiber mop is only good if you use a spray bottle. I filled up a spray bottle with the RMP, sprayed the mop head, the I could reach any where without the ladder. I did use the ladder on the end caps , and some hard to reach places, but then I simple sprayed the areas and wiped them with my cloth.

The spray bottle is the key to really doing it fast. When you get down to the basement doors, simply spray the door, and wipe with a microfiber cloth. The fastest and easiest application, comes from using a spray bottle, a microfiber flat mop with handle, and a microfiber pad. On the big flat surfaces you can reach without ladder, you can take the mop head off the handle, and really do a quick smooth application. I did not figure all this out until after I did the bucket and rag thing on the first coat. I wear a portable oxygen tank, and I was exhausted after the first coat, going up and down the ladder, bending over to dip the rag etc.

After I started using the flat microfiber mop, the application speed was cut in half, and I feel I was giving it a more even coat.
I think you have discovered a major innovation here!

Definitely going to try it this way.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #74

Did my Pace Arrow about 5 months ago and no change in appearance. It's been outside in the Chicagoland area in the weather too. Outside of side panels being more "yellow" than the rest of the coach. But I think it was that color the whole time just not as shiny.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an 03 Bounder that looks a little lifeless. After reading all these post I can't waite to try this stuff. I will probably get the stuff from Home Depot because I am working there part time. after a good cleaning and prep I will use the micro fiber and swiffer with a spray bottle. I understand that it will take several coats to get the best results.

Questions. Can you start applying the next coat right after applying the previous as long as it feels dry? Do you need to buff it after each coat, just the last or not at all? Would you get a deeper shine by buffing?

Thanks for the help,
Larry
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No buffing required..
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As soon as you finish with the first coat, go back and start over at beginning. The place you started at will be dry, and like the previous poster said, no buffing.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't be discouraged if the first few coats look spotty and awful. 4th or 5th coat will look GREAT.

The prep is what takes all the time- the actual application of the RMP goes pretty quick.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #79

I applied a coat and by the time I got around to where I started it was dry enough to apply another coat. 5-6 coats will usually yield the best results. I was inside my shop at about 70 degrees. It's not hard just time consuming. Make sure it's clean clean clean or you'll have shiny dirt.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #80

Will RMP hide/mask swirl marks in dark colors that paste wax won't hide?
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I really don't know, but I would suppose because it is a sealer, it should fill in the tiny swirls that are actually scratches. Try it on a small part and see.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #82

Zep works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I wish I had known about RMP when I had my Ranger Bass boat. The gel coat was so far gone, that the metal flakes were... well, flaking... off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdon View Post
I'm about 8 months out on applying RMP(rather, Zep High Gloss-same stuff-) to my '94 American Eagle. Only problem....prep was less fun than an encounter with a rabid badger

The results were astonishing 8 months ago and there has been no noticeable degradation in finish so far.

I read as much as possible both on RV and marine sites and really began to absorb the message. Prep, prep, prep....do it all again...and maybe again. At that point, you may be ready to apply the RMP. If in doubt, scrub with Barkeeper's Friend, wash with TSP, and wash with Dawn one more time. The first coat looks horrible. Second shows results. Third starts to look pretty good. Four and five begin to restore your faith in the process. Anything beyond that just adds depth and further reflectivity.

Avoid drips at all cost. I let one drop run down the rear stainless steel bumper and dry. No amount of scrubbing, rubbing, or normal household product would touch this stuff. I had to go back to HD and get a gallon of the proprietary stripper which dissolves it immediately. I figure it's good to have around as I'll surely screw up at least one more time.

I applied six coats and still have a few spots that are slightly evident. It has to be in direct sunlight and DW swears I'm the only one who can see them. This spring; I intend to give the old girl a proper bath and apply one or two more coats for good measure.
I went to Lowes, Red Max Pro is discontinued, ZEP commercial professional strength wet-look floor finish is the replacement. It was $24.95 for 1 gal. Home depot sells the same thing. My biggest problem was the stripes on a 2002 Monaco Diplomat. I had it professionally detailed 18 months ago, including compounding and waxing the whole coach including the Aluminum wheels and the white painted aluminum roof. The stripes get "white stripes" from the white oxidized paint coming from the roof. Now if you haven't waxed a roof you are smart. It is terribly difficult task and 6 months later white oxides are flowing down the sides again. This was no cheap job, the pro's used what is supposed to be the best brand wax ( I won't say which one but let's just say the costly super brand didn't last very long). So look at the stripes, all white streaked again.

My logic was first, coat the roof. Not only would this maybe fix the stripe "striping" problem, but if it looked bad NO ONE WILL SEE IT! Water actually still beaded up when I got the hose up there, indicating some wax was still there but white oxides were streaking the sides, especially the stripes.. I used an 8" brush on a 4' handle, scubbed with 1/2 cup TSP and 1 cup amonia in 2 gallons cold water. No more beading - the water then sheets and does not bead (indicating the wax was gone). Then I did the rest of the coach because the run off the sides stripped part of the wax away anyway. I put two coats Zep on the roof on a 78 degree sunny day, used about 8 oz Zep and took me 1-1/2 hours (1/2 hour work and 1 hour moaning and moving on my hands and knees). They say use 4 coats but 2 on dull painted aluminum looks great, see the picture! The end caps (gel coat) are not as shiny as the aluminum, I will put 2 more coats on them tomorrow if my knees are up to it. Or maybe I'll find a microfiber mop instead of using the microfiber cloth. The best part of this is the Zep stripper will take it right off if I want/need to!! But for now I am very,very impressed.

As an engineer I know what acrylic is and this product is supposedly a water based acrylic coating NOT A WAX! The surface of your tub surround or shower is probably also acrylic. In the late 70's when I was doing automotive paints, most were acrylic enamels or acrylic lacquers. I feel certain this acrylic finish will outlast any automotive wax. How long it lasts will be interesting. If I don't get additional white striping in 12 months, I will feel victorious because applying Zep is similar to putting leather protector on a seat, just wipe over it with a very light coat - no rubbing or buffing!

The stripes are 10 years old, vinyl, and very dull. The replacement cost (parts only was $6300). I eliminated that option to due to price. I know of several people that paint over "good vinyl" (not flaking/peeling) with good results. There are many plastic paints these days and I was considering that option. After the roof experience, I decided to test the Zep finish on a stripe on a corner of the coach that wraps around from behind the ladder. Four coats in 30 minutes and the test section looks great! As you can see the white gel-coat still is pretty shiny, so I didn't test it (yet).

My next test will be to put Nufinish (a silicone I'm told, definitely not a conventional wax) over the Zep. If that test doesn't go well I will probably "Zep" the entire exterior. If it does work, I will mask the gel coat and only coat the stripes with Zep then "wax" the rest of the gel coat because it still looks good.

Others that have used this stuff tell you to wear gloves. I wore one glove on my right hand and accidentally put my left had in that tiny thin film. A thorough scrubbing with dawn dish washing detergent did not remove it - I look pretty sill with a shiny palm on my left hand. Next time I will use 2 gloves!

Last but not least, the new Zep finish is not slippery like the new wax finish was - I don't want to fall off the roof - too old for that stuff!. And now that I know how easy it is, the next time I do the roof, whether it is in one year or 5 years, I am going to pay a teenager $50 which will be about $100/hr for a young limber person!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #83

ZEp WORKS Pictures

Sorry, rookie at uploading pic's!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brown_Stripe.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	18811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal_Roof.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	18812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test_Behind_Ladder.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	18813   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver_Stripe_Left_side_zep.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	18814  

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #84

Hey TUNASALMON
Great job on the roof and on the research and reporting. Glad to hear from and see some pics of results. Thanks for holding our hands and walking us thru.
I might just have to try me a spot or two. Btw, what is TSP? Also I like the fact that they make an easy to use stripper just I case the problem is the Indian and not the arrow!!

La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote