Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #85

Forget the TSP(Bar Keeper's Helper). Just get a can of Comet® Scratch Free cleanser for 99 pennies or less.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Forget the TSP(Bar Keeper's Helper). Just get a can of Comet® Scratch Free cleanser for 99 pennies or less.

TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate; a strong cleaner found in the painting prep section.

BKF is Bar Keeper's Friend, a non-scratch abrasive with oxalic acid, used to remove oxidation and stains in the initial prep for the Red Max Pro #3 treatment.

Dunner likes the Comet Scratch Free Cleanser- probably works as well as the BKF, only lacking the oxalic acid for bleaching.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #87

Why would I want to bleach my MH?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Why would I want to bleach my MH?
If you have to ask, I'm sure don't need to.

There can be black stains on the siding that just don't want to budge without a lot of elbow grease- the oxalic acid makes short work of these.

I know the Comet has worked well for you and you prefer to save the difference between the 99 cent Comet and the $1.29 Bar keepers Friend and that's a fine thing.

Its still true that they are not exactly the same product. Can we agree to disagree on this?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You wouldn't want to bleach your motorhome. The stripes would never survive it. The gelcoat will stand up to pretty much any type of cleaning, but not the stripes.

One thing i was curious about, with the ages of many of us on here. I, like many of you was driving in the sixties. The first 3 or 4 cars i had were always old, and pretty much not looking too good. The one thing we used to do when we had a car that was dull and stained, was give it a couple of washings with WISK laundy detergent. When you were done the car was shiny. it would take off all oxidantion and discoloration. Now, may the WISK you get today is not like the formula from 50 years ago, but it sure worked then.

All i did to prep before the RED MAX PRO, i washed the vehicle with krud kutter, then i was the vehicle with dawn. I will admit the finish for the most part was not bad for a 12 year old MH, the curb side was a faded and dull, but the streetside was nice.

I am on oxygen, believe me, this is not that much work if you just use a spray bottle for the RMP Or ZEP, get a mop that has a swiffer type end, and holds a flat microfiber pad attached with velcro, and sveral microfiber rags. The hardest part for me was the two washings i described doing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another tip for the roof, use the spray bottle and microfiber mophead. Just reach down spray a small section, and mop it, repeat until you are done. no need to be on hands and knees for anything, it is just like waxing your floor.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #91

Sorry I like to use just clear clean water wipe it dry then put
nu finish on once a year bugs come off the nose cap with just
water and it just takes one day a year to make my rv shine.
Putting 4 or 5 coats of floor wax on seams a little much
wouldn't you at some time have to take all those coats off
and start over again
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
If you have to ask, I'm sure don't need to.

There can be black stains on the siding that just don't want to budge without a lot of elbow grease- the oxalic acid makes short work of these.

I know the Comet has worked well for you and you prefer to save the difference between the 99 cent Comet and the $1.29 Bar keepers Friend and that's a fine thing.

Its still true that they are not exactly the same product. Can we agree to disagree on this?
Oh, pa-shaw; $1.29? I paid $1.48 for the BKH I bought and used.

I have never used the Comet. Just saw it on Kroger's store shelf and thought that it might work. Maybe I can get it and save the BKH to bleach what hair I have left and my beard. Will that work Chief?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #93

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I could see where using bleach or not using bleach would be a personal choice.
Older RV's that have turned yellow with age may benefit from bleach, whereas a newer or better shape RV would not need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
Sorry I like to use just clear clean water wipe it dry then put
nu finish on once a year bugs come off the nose cap with just
water and it just takes one day a year to make my rv shine.
Putting 4 or 5 coats of floor wax on seams a little much
wouldn't you at some time have to take all those coats off
and start over again
I think this thread is mainly for older RV's that are beyond a simple wax or poly sealant application.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Hey TUNASALMON
Great job on the roof and on the research and reporting. Glad to hear from and see some pics of results. Thanks for holding our hands and walking us thru.
I might just have to try me a spot or two. Btw, what is TSP? Also I like the fact that they make an easy to use stripper just I case the problem is the Indian and not the arrow!!
TSP is Tri Sodium Phosphate, basically a very strong soap. I remember back in the 70's when phosphates is laundry detergent was a big controversy due to pollution (shows my age!). Lowes and Home depot both carry TSP. Many use it to clean and prep (etch) concrete before painting and it takes oil stains off of concrete better than anything I have tried. It will actually lightly etch glass if you leave it on long enough. Make sure you rinse well. I used 1/2 cup per 2 gallons plus one cup ammonia. Some people use 1 cup per 2 gallons. I preferred the mix of TSP and ammonia. I had a light wind when I washed so I didn't smell anything. Bottom line is get the wax off and rinse well. If you don't get all the old wax off, the ZEP will not stick.

For stains many use BKF (bar keepers friend) which is similar to ajax/comet but used on stainless steel more often. I had a few spots that cleaned up well using it, but any cleanser should work. My wife uses soft scrub but I assumed I would have to rub too hard using something that "soft". Also white scouring pads (sold at Lowes, never checked Home Depot) with the BKF will get most streaks and stains off. Green scouring pads are very aggressive and leave little scratches, bad stains might even need 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper - but do what you have to do to get rid of any stains because they are locked in under the new acrylic finish if you don't!

Just for the record, I have been using Nu-Finish for about 20 years. I use it twice per year and it does well. It also can be used in sunlight but put a very thin layer on or it is a little difficult wiping it off. I once tried turtle paste wax in the sun (they said don't but I did any way) and I thought I might never get all of it off. I just kept thinking about that hard shell on the turtle as I tried to rub it off! Nu-Finish also takes bugs off fairly well with an orbital applicator or a little elbow grease. It is great for cars, boats, and RVs with a clean shiny paint finish. If it is dull you need a cleaner wax first, and then I use Nu-Finish. I've used it twice on the RV sides at 1 year intervals and that is too long if you leave it outside all year as I do. I would never use it on a roof because it is so slick a towel will slide off the hood of my cars right after you apply it - I don't want to slide off my roof! The Zep wet look finish looks ultra shiny, but since it is used as a floor coating, they couldn't make it slippery or too many people would be slipping in hospitals, schools, etc. Nu-Finish also did not make my stripes look very good, Zep did!

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #95

Tunasalmon
Check your PM's please
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #96

UV protection for red max pro (zep #3 wetlook)

After I coated my horribly faded stripes, I "waxed" the entire coach with Nu Finish. It made it look great. A few pictures are attached. Look at the front copper colored stripe before and after. I cleaned the stripes with a white scubber pad and bar keepers friend to remove most of the streaking before applying Zep Wetlook #3. I used masking tape to only coat the stripes. One picture is the original streaked vinyl stripe, the second id the strip after coating, the third shows the piece wrapping from the front that is coated vs the piece next to it before coating - what a difference! The last one shows the coach after Zep on the stipes and a Nu Finish application over the entire side. Looks almost like new (this is a 2002 model).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004_1280x960.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	19429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006_1280x960.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	19430  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008_1280x960.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	19431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028_1280x960.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	19432  

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Boy that does look good. It's amazing what that zep did for the stripes, it almost looked like clear coat. My unit is even older, but I'm on oxygen, and could have never done the nu-finish thing. I just did the red max pro on everything. The white gelcoat really shines also now.

Maybe we can keep these things for a while yet, huh?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Boy that does look good. It's amazing what that zep did for the stripes, it almost looked like clear coat. My unit is even older, but I'm on oxygen, and could have never done the nu-finish thing. I just did the red max pro on everything. The white gelcoat really shines also now.

Maybe we can keep these things for a while yet, huh?
I know what you mean about the gelcoat shines. On my fist test stripe I did about a 24" section without masking tape. I got about 1/2" off the stripe in 2 places and it shines so much better than the finish with only Nu-Finish on it. If everything goes as "expected" I will do ALL of the gelcoat next year. Just for the record...I got one drop of Zep overspray from my 1 qt. spray bottle on my left thumbnail. I only used a glove on my right hand to apply it. That was eight days ago, I have had at least 9 showers and probably washed my hands at least 100 times and that spot still looks like I put a drop of nail gloss on it!