Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did the same thing the first day. I put on the first two coats, with one glove and a spray bottle, and it took forever to get the stuff off. I also got a drop on my glasses somehow, and 5 months later, it is still there.

This stuff will wear like iron, and you will only do one coat a year for touch up. We will see if over the long term it yellows and how long that takes, but until that happens, I feel this is superior to any finish you could use for shine, durability and ease of application.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #100

today I washed the front and rear cap on a MS fifthwheel. the rear has never had wax on it and the front just one wax job so I just washed with dawn soap two times, barkeepers friend and a TSP for the last wash. now after reading others doing this job I decided to change the application from how I did ours in July. The spray bottle and micro cloth is much better. cuts down the runs to zero. Four coats and looks new. Rain might be coming the next 3 days and I decided to continue and finish the job so the owner can be on his way to Alaska.
Larry Barnhart
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #101

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting ready to do the RMP coating. I waxed the MH 18 months ago and am surprised to see some of the wax is still there. I decided to use industrial soft scrub with bleach to do the prep work instead of the BKF. It works well but I wasn't prepared for how much work it is to do the prep.

I removed the oxidation last time I waxed it, but this time I'm spending more time scrubbing all surfaces, then washing with mild TSP. This seems to be helping to whiten some of the slightly yellowed white gelcoat. I keep the soft scrub bleach off of the stripes.

I can only get 1/4 of the RV done each day, I can't imagine how some of the posters say they can get the whole process done in 4-6 hours?

At this rate it's going to take me a whole week to get done. Maybe I'm just being too anal about the prep work.

Oh yeah, I found white microfiber cloth wax applicator sponges at the 99 cent store and bought a spray bottle for application. Looks a lot better then the yellow micro fiber clothes I saw everywhere else.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you scrub every square inch with the cleanser, it will tie you a few days, I agree. I, I should say we wash the vehicle with Krud Kutter, then Dawn. That seemed to take care of the little oxidation I could see. It took me about 1.5 hours to apply each coat of the RMP, but I am on oxygen so everything takes longer.

Once you get this done, about 1hour a year to touch up to renew surface is all that is required. Applying the wax is not hard work either.

I've read somewhere that in4-5 years you need to strip it off and do it again, but I can't imagine the prep work will be so time consuming then.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #103

I spent many days washing our 2001 alpenlite because of so many wax applications since new. The MS I did yesterday was just the front and rear with no wax ever on the rear and one wax job on the front. It does look great.
larry
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #104

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i did my old four winds mh this past week with "wet look zep" and it does look better and it does shine. will it be easier too wash now,will bugs come off easier or do you still have to add some type of automotive wax on it?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #105

Thumbs up

I do not think the bugs came off any different than before the red max. the reason for doing the red max is to not have to wax. I guess we all are new at this process and will be learning what is needed. my thinking was to do another couple of application's this summer but might not have to.

chevman
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #106

Most recommend 4-5 coats. Is there a point when too many coats degrades from the improvement? Like does it get splotchy or an irregular surface?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #107

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Most recommend 4-5 coats. Is there a point when too many coats degrades from the improvement? Like does it get splotchy or an irregular surface?

I don't think there is a problem with too many.

I put 5 coats on the sides, but on the front cap, I think we actually went 8 or more, because it was so awkward to get to.

I'd put on a coat, get off the ladder, think I saw a missed spot, do it all over the next time, see what I thought was a miss, re do it partially, do it all over again the next time, etc, etc. I put on a LOT of coats.

Anyway, I don't think there was any difference in appearance. I do think I may put an extra coat or two on the front cap when I refresh the RMP again, because I believe that part saw the most wear from the blowing caliche dust in south Texas last fall. The sides still look great, mostly.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #108

After doing my friends front and rear cap I did ours 2 on the front and one on the rear. it looked like rain was close but it didn't happen.
Larry
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #109

Thx Chief. I gonna try so many coats on 1/2 a piece of painted sheet metal, and twice as many on the other 1/2 of it to see if it matters.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #110

Guys,

Lowes has stopped carrying Red Max Pro Products. It is now on clearance

Some stores still have some #3 in stock. I just ordered 4 gals for store pickup at 3.73 a gal at the Modesto, Ca Lowes. They still have over 10 gals left. Most Lowes stores in my area have some in stock. Bay area Lowes has them in stock but they want 5.73 a gal.

Go to lowes web site and search to find a store that has some and how much it's clearance price is.
msav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #111

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
now called ZEP high traffic floor shine at Lowes..Same product.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #112

zip wet look

did mine but now what do you wash it with?
truck91 is offline   Reply With Quote