Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Red max pro #3 users any updates?

With so many people applying the red Max pro floor product on their bar keepers friend scrubbed fiberglass mh's & trailers with amazing results, are there any updates as to how well its fairing with time and all the weather differences?

Once we spruce up some compartment doors & finish off some exterior detailing will be time to fully shine the gel coat & was wondering if the red Max pro ( home depot zep wetlook floor finish) was still the way to go?

If not will be time to grab a hand buffer & some gel coat restorer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #2

I recently started a RV detail business and use this method for older or badly oxidized fiberglass, Ive even did a 2008 5th wheel that was just dull. I do recommend a re-coating once per year. I did mine back in Feb 2011, and its holding up very well, No peeling of any kind, ive actually detailed many rv's with this method. Seems to be the only method for badly oxidized fiberglass. This method can also be used on clear coat and painted metal, I even did the faded black window frames on my class A, It still looks very good. I did detail one motorhome that had been done in 2008, not by me, lol, and the front cap was flaking off, i think this might have been a prep issue, but the rest of the motorhome still looked very good, the prep is the most important. Remember to use either dishwashing detergent or a non wax car wash soap after using Barkeepers.
I do recommend applying 6-8 coats because you will find that in direct light you can see where you over lap, the more coats the less you will see this.
Krazzykitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #3

I have done a bunch of reading on this. I have seen 2 year old posts with no first hand issues and photos of any problems. Now what I have seen is where someone's friends brother's meter reader's girlfriend's ex-brother inlaw overhearing a conversation in Denny's where a guy had his RV detonate because someone used this method/materials. But no first hand issues or pictures of first hand issues. On one thread (with a very vocal naysayer) I begged for pictures of problems but none appeared. The naysayers seem to have never used the method but want to badmouth it.

So this spring I'll give it a try.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Please excuse this newbies ignorance...it is blissful...but what is this "red Max pro floor product"/process? I'd like to keep my new TT bright and shiney too.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

I to would like to know what this"Red Max Pro Porduct" is, I will have to go to Home Depot tomorrow and look for it!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Here, Let me google that for you
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Red Max Pro #3 is available at Lowes. Lots of threads on this product; this one is probably the most definitive.

We did the RMP on our very oxidized '89 Southwind about 10 months ago.

For the last 2 months, we have been parked on an oilfield gate in south Texas, with daily windblown caliche dust sandblasting our motor home.

Underneath the dust, the fiberglass is still pretty shiny (I'll admit, not as shiny as when the RMP was fresh, but still lots better than before). No peeling or yellowing.

Now that we're off the gate and headed to more civilized parts, I'll take a day or two soon and give our old girl a good wash and a repeat of the RMP (I have a gallon tucked away in a basement compartment).

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #8

RMP is a floor wax similar to mop-n-glow and has been used primarily by folks with older units that have seen better days in regards to the fiberglass finish. I myself have applied mop-n-glow to the front and rear caps of my 11 year old unit and it looks great.

I would NOT use it on a new unit where the finish is new and in great shape. Instead I'd use regular wax/finishing products. I still use Protectall or Nu-Finish on the sides of my mh.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Thank-you for all the updates as to how the finish is holding up.. will try this method on a compartment door and see how it looks compared to a panel compounded with 3M gelcoat restorer.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

The HD near me doesn't have RMP, but they do have the ZEP Wet look for $10 more than the RMP at Lowe's. I put the ZEP it on my 35 year old counter tops and they are still shiny even with sliding dishes, cans, etc across them. When I was last in HD, they had a lot of floor finishes on a different aisle than the ZEP. Some that may work just as good and are cheaper.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Its absolutely true that other products than Red Max Pro #3 might work just as well. The product most similar in formulation to RMP is probably Poli Glow, (at about 7X the price.) I'm not sure that Mop & Glo is exactly similar- besides the floor polish part, I believe Mop & Glo has a cleaner as well as a self-stripping agent.

But...

Red Max Pro #3 is not expensive at only $15/gallon (and a gallon will do the the biggest motor home with plenty to spare) and like most good things in life, the prep work is harder than the actual application .

Also, RMP has been used successfully even longer on fiberglass boats than on RVs- plenty of anecdotal data out there.

As another poster mentioned, its best use is basically on oxidized fiberglass (but it also works great on window frames, bumpers, mirror housing that are dull as well). Its use on new, shiny surfaces may not be contraindicatd, but neither would it be necessarily useful.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #12

I wish I had known about RMP when I had my Ranger Bass boat. The gel coat was so far gone, that the metal flakes were... well, flaking... off.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #13

I'm about 8 months out on applying RMP(rather, Zep High Gloss-same stuff-) to my '94 American Eagle. Only problem....prep was less fun than an encounter with a rabid badger

The results were astonishing 8 months ago and there has been no noticeable degradation in finish so far.

I read as much as possible both on RV and marine sites and really began to absorb the message. Prep, prep, prep....do it all again...and maybe again. At that point, you may be ready to apply the RMP. If in doubt, scrub with Barkeeper's Friend, wash with TSP, and wash with Dawn one more time. The first coat looks horrible. Second shows results. Third starts to look pretty good. Four and five begin to restore your faith in the process. Anything beyond that just adds depth and further reflectivity.

Avoid drips at all cost. I let one drop run down the rear stainless steel bumper and dry. No amount of scrubbing, rubbing, or normal household product would touch this stuff. I had to go back to HD and get a gallon of the proprietary stripper which dissolves it immediately. I figure it's good to have around as I'll surely screw up at least one more time.

I applied six coats and still have a few spots that are slightly evident. It has to be in direct sunlight and DW swears I'm the only one who can see them. This spring; I intend to give the old girl a proper bath and apply one or two more coats for good measure.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Since the biggest difference between RMP#3/Zep Wet Look and Poli Glow, other than cost, is that Poli Glow has UV inhibitors, I wonder if anyone has tried putting three or four coats of the less expensive RMP first, then covering that with one or two coats of Poli Glow to protect the earlier layers.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote