Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #15

I am thinking about doing our shower and also feel like you a sponge could be ok for the BKF. Now to get it done before hitting the road for Az.
chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ooh, the shower... now THAT'S a good idea!

The next time I get the urge to do a good scrubbing in the bathroom, I'll try the RMP. I bet the soap scum will slide right off in future.

Too bad it won't cure the 20-year-old fiberglass "yellows"

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I am thinking about doing our shower and also feel like you a sponge could be ok for the BKF. Now to get it done before hitting the road for Az.
chevman
Protect All works good on the fiberglass shower and glass. Makes it slick and easier to clean also. Use a squagee on the shower each time and keeps it clean much longer. I put it on when the RV was new and then reapply periodically. Be sure shower is clean before you apply Protect All
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #18

Our shower in the home is 24 years old, our alpenlite is over 10 years old but the showers are great because I wipe them down after each shower. The red max might not be needed but I want to see what happens.
chevman
Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Does this finish yellow over time? Or does it stay clear?

Does it work on painted surfaces or just the fiberglass?

My only issue is the oxidation of the front cap. Everything else looks good. But, if it is as good as everyone says, I guess it can be used on the whole coach?? (except the windows and mirrors.. grin)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #20

We will all know your answer when and if it happens. I hope it doesn't yellow.
larry Barnhart
Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Does this finish yellow over time? Or does it stay clear?

Does it work on painted surfaces or just the fiberglass?

My only issue is the oxidation of the front cap. Everything else looks good. But, if it is as good as everyone says, I guess it can be used on the whole coach?? (except the windows and mirrors.. grin)
Don't know about the Red Max. Have never used it. Protect All can be used on glass and mirrors as well as fiberglass and painted surfaces and I know it does not yellow. Have used Protect All for many years.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #22

I have used protect all and it was not a good look for our alpenlite. It really looked like a smeary mess. Protect all is not what we are talking about.
chevman
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #23

Regarding a cap that has oxidized.. I tried buffing compound and wax.. Protect All oxidation remover.. nothing really worked RMP really sounds good.. my only concern is aging in the sun. Most products will yellow. That's the answer I hope to get from folks..

Thanks for the replies so far..
Old 08-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As far as I know, no user on any forum has reported yellowing, including those who leave their rigs full time in the Arizona sun (presumably where RPM would yellow the fastest, if it were going to).

Poli-glow, a very similar product, has been used for many years with no yellowing issues.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #25

Thanks for the info...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #26

I’m waiting with baited breath to see the long term results of all your RedMaxPro3 applications. This product is an acrylic interior wood floor finish. In the past, products that are formulated for interior use will usually fail rather quickly when exposed to UV outside. I was under the impression that the fiberglass exterior of these motor homes already came from the factory with an acrylic gel coat exterior. The chalking, fading and yellowing you are trying to spruce up with the RMP3 is what happens when even exterior acrylics are exposed to long term UV. Man, I hope this idea works, I don’t relish trying to strip off the cured product. Keep us posted….
elp70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp70 View Post
I’m waiting with baited breath to see the long term results of all your RedMaxPro3 applications. This product is an acrylic interior wood floor finish. In the past, products that are formulated for interior use will usually fail rather quickly when exposed to UV outside. I was under the impression that the fiberglass exterior of these motor homes already came from the factory with an acrylic gel coat exterior. The chalking, fading and yellowing you are trying to spruce up with the RMP3 is what happens when even exterior acrylics are exposed to long term UV. Man, I hope this idea works, I don’t relish trying to strip off the cured product. Keep us posted….
RMP comes off with Red Max Pro Stripper without much effort. Certainly no more difficult to remove than an old coat of car wax.

Whether RMP can last 10 or 20 years without yellowing isn't a point really pertinent for discussion, I don't think. It will wear off long before then. Common wisdom is you will need to renew the shine once a year with a new, single wipe-on coat.

Incidentally, I don't believe gelcoat is acrylic at all-

"Gelcoat fiberglass is a colored polyester resin sprayed onto a mold then reinforced with fine glass particles. Being more porous and brittle than acrylic, the gelcoat/fiberglass surface has a greater tendency to dull and discolor over time. Some other drawbacks to using fiberglass are the fact that they can flex or break if they are not adequately supported and they show scratches over time that cannot be repaired"

"Acrylic is a sheet of material that is heated and vacuum-formed over a mold, creating a continuous waterproof membrane. It is then reinforced with fiberglass for added stability and insulation value. Acrylic is non-porous by nature, warm to the touch and retains its gloss finish better than any other material. Acrylic is well recognized for its ability to withstand constant use and cleaning. It is usually recommended that you avoid harsh or abrasive cleaners since acrylic can be scratched."

Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #28

I put some ZEP Wet Look Floor Finish on the rear ramp door of my 20' enclosed and it didn't turn out like the pics I've seen of MHs with RMP. Ammonia full strength and/or Simple Green won't take the ZEP off. Neither will BKH with my orbital polisher. Will RMP stripper do it without damage to the paint? The ZEP floor finish is like .005% milk. Is that what RMP looks like or did I get the wrong stuff? Bout ready to go buy some paste wax and do a wax over.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote