Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Red Max Pro Prep

Hello All, a question for those of you who have used Red Max Pro on your MH. Do you need to strip all the wax off the MH before using Red Max or just make sure it is good and clean.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Yes wax needs to be removed. I washed using dawn soap. I washed again using dawn soap and a narrow brush to scrub the placed where wax builds up. I washed another time using dawn soap. I didn't wash one after another because I was going to try something different but then read about red max. Now I washed using bar keepers friend with some dawn soap and a 3m scrubble, 1000 grit but i am not sure what I used was 1000 grit. then I washed with TSP using the brush and handle like usual washing. 4 coats of red max and wow it looks great. All of this was easier than the 3 waxing jobs on it last year and atleast 2 times each year since 2001.
chevman

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Washed with dawn first. I used "Magic Eraser" and clorox cleanup. Then came back with windex to remove the Clorox cleaner. The magic easer sponge works great to get of tiny spots of tar and goad grim and bugs. Use alot of clean rags wipe off the clorox and windex. I used a new micro cloth and a squirt bottle to apply 4 coats of Red Max 3.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vinegar and/or ammonia in water is a more effective wax stripper than Dawn. Dawn is a better general degreaser, though.

The Red Max is just a shine, so you should do as much prep as is needed to make the surface clean and free of old finsihes, dirt, streaks, etc. Removing oxidized paint or fiberglass is also recommended or you just get slightly shiny oxidation.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello again, I had bought the Red Max stripper when I purchased the #3 but wasn't sure if it would be to strong to use on the graphics and fiberglass.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

I have not read about anybody using the stripper so maybe somebody will come on and help with your question. i don't feel the stripper is needed because of the other products that do the job. my guess is the stripper will remove the red max if you feel it needs to be removed. I hope the red max works for long term because it really works short term. I can't take my eyes off out alpenlite and it didn't have a problem as some have mentioned.
chevman
Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ammonia and water will do an excellent job removing the old wax.

Bar Keepers Friend, a non-abrasive powdered cleanser with oxalic acid, applied with a sponge or white scrubby will do all the oxidation removal you need.

Use a final soapy wash (Dawn is good) to make sure all the BKF is removed and rinse thoroughly.

Apply 4 or 5 thin coats of Red Max Pro #3 and don't forget your sun glasses!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The Red Max stripper is to remove runs or bubbles you missed wiping up when applying the Red Max Pro #3. It shouldn't affect your stripes and decals, but its not necessary for prepping.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #9

With the BKF is it best to use the original powder? Or the new liquid stuff?
Definitely tempted to try this Redmax method, as the compounding is a pain in the rear! Plus expensive.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #10

Smile

My guess is it is new to all of us and knowing what is best might not be know but I used the power and some dawn soap to give the bar keepers friend some moisture and sprinkled some of the BKF on the 3M pad and washed the entire fifth this way.. Everything I did seemed to be ok and it does look good.
chevman
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Pauland Ro, I'd use the original Bar Keepers Friend, partly because it cheaper. It worked better for us than TSP (which has been my go-to tough cleanser) at getting off the black winter mold/crud. Hardly any scrubbing required.

Absolutely you should try the Red Max method. Everybody knows compounding and waxing only lasts a few months, if that. Lots and lots of folks have now used the RMP over several seasons, with nothing but good stuff to say about its durability and good looks.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to wileyman
Where can I buy the 3M 1000 Grit White Scrubbies?

I have looked everywhere (Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA and Paint supply houses) for the 3M 1000 Grit White Scrubbies and cannot find them. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Wileyman
Naples, FL
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyman View Post
I have looked everywhere (Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA and Paint supply houses) for the 3M 1000 Grit White Scrubbies and cannot find them. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Wileyman
Naples, FL
I bought the 3M scrubbies at Lowes BUT no where on it said it was 1000 grit. I had light scratches on the surface but they were gone after the red max pro #3.
chevman
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you use the Bar Keepers Friend with a wet sponge, no need for scrubbies, either green or white.