Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Red Top Mountain for Thanksgiving 2012

I was wondering if anyone spent this Thanksgiving there. If so, we were there too, along with some other awesome campers. Gorgeous place,and its a State Park! Nice, clean with many amenities. I ask, because Hubby and I loved it so much we are thinking of making it these Empty Nesters Thanksgiving Tradition, annually.The fall foilage display ALONE is worth such a tradition! If you were there and would like to converse about it, your experience or the Park, we have established this thread for that purpose. So stop on by and lets chat! Happy Holidays to all of our wounderful RV acquaintances and/or fellow RV Posters on IRV2 Forum! Woo hoo!! Sandy
of Sandy N John
Mysticcherok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs down Red Top Mountain State Park

A few thoughts about redtop mtn from Thanksgiving 2011.

1. Great Hiking
2. Very good batwing reception
3. No sewer hookup at the sites (big problem)
4. Falling nuts from very high trees, sounds like a small bomb inside the RV
5. Bully and Rude campground host - went way out of his way to enforce his version of the Rules pertaining to guests. Unfriendly park staff at the park store and the main office. (do they take the same unhappy pill?)
6. Campground closes periodically, reservations are unavailable. I asked why that was and evidentially it's a super secret, need to know only to the annointed ones.
7. Beaautiful hotel closed indefinately, along with the pool. (what a waste of resources)

I would go there to hike but thats about all. I am glad that you found it and hope that it continues well for you. For me, there are many other parks that are not stuck in a jailhouse mentality.

I did complain about that camphost to the Georiga State Parks. (heard nothing back) He camped in a red over the road tractor that pulled a 5er. Reminded me of a full time know it all, just ask.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbowman View Post
A few thoughts about redtop mtn from Thanksgiving 2011.

1. Great Hiking
2. Very good batwing reception
3. No sewer hookup at the sites (big problem)
4. Falling nuts from very high trees, sounds like a small bomb inside the RV
5. Bully and Rude campground host - went way out of his way to enforce his version of the Rules pertaining to guests. Unfriendly park staff at the park store and the main office. (do they take the same unhappy pill?)
6. Campground closes periodically, reservations are unavailable. I asked why that was and evidentially it's a super secret, need to know only to the annointed ones.
7. Beaautiful hotel closed indefinately, along with the pool. (what a waste of resources)

I would go there to hike but thats about all. I am glad that you found it and hope that it continues well for you. For me, there are many other parks that are not stuck in a jailhouse mentality.

I did complain about that camphost to the Georgia State Parks. (heard nothing back) He camped in a red over the road tractor that pulled a 5er. Reminded me of a full time know it all, just ask.
WOW, you SEEM to be rather knowledgable yourself. We had a marvelous time, and the fall foilage (including falling acorns, not loud at all) was a high light of our visit. wearrived late and the staff was more than courteous. EVERYONE THERE WAS JUST AS NICE AS COULD BE. We are going back next Summer, and again next Fall. Too bad about your experience, but obviously not everyones. Sandy of Sandy N John
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

PS-thy close for hunting, to thin the herd, as there are a LOT! They were quite frank about this and up front. Its not a State of Georgia secret or anything. Sandy
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
red top mountain

I did not send any unkind personal remarks directed at you. Why are you sending them to me?

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #6

i dont believe i was unkind.Oh, and while addressing your allegation I'd like to say that the park had marvelously clean bath houses, toasty and warm, just right. They also had toilets in the abundant and wheelchair accessible bat houses. One for men and one for women, side by side. Just a short walk from RV. Great water pressure and wonderful hot water! WONDERFUL CAMP GROUND and HUGE. Absolutely wonderful, was our experience! sandy