Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I had plans to spend a LOT of money on having a desk built-in where the dinette is, getting a new sofa and all that . . . I wanted it to look nicer for ME but I also was concerned about the resale value if I ever want to sell it. Then I went wandering around a furniture store yesterday and the thought hit me: I'm single, this is MY rig, I should make it comfortable for ME and decorate it the way I want to decorate it. If a buyer doesn't like something, I can give 'em a little discount to make up for whatever it is they don't like. Or order a new sofa before selling it. And who knows? I might drive this thing into the ground before I decide to quit RVing full time! So . . . instead of a new sofa or a new RV sofa ($$$$) I am getting a chase lounge, putting it against the wall where the sofa now sits and getting BIG pillows to put along the wall. That way, if someone wants to sit there, it's like a sofa - but I have that wonderful sloping back of a chase lounge to enjoy TV, reading, looking out the window, watching the hummingbirds, etc. All I have to do is move the pillows. That IS what the driver's seat is for when you're parked isn't it? Pillow storage? And I'm not having a desk built in. I'm taking out the existing dinette, leaving the two side walls, and putting in a beautiful black stained wooden desk. I'm getting big storage baskets to go underneath it and I'm going to refinish, or cover with fabric, the two end pieces left by the dinette and put shelves or magazine rack-type things there. I'm also going to secure a lamp to the desk to make it look more homey. I have so much storage space under the bed, I'm going to get a nice card table in case I ever want to have folks over for cards, dinner or whatever. I could only sit 4 at the dinette anyway - or 3 including me . . . .

I'll post photos when alllllll this is done . . . . whew!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #2

I had plans to spend a LOT of money on having a desk built-in where the dinette is, getting a new sofa and all that . . . I wanted it to look nicer for ME but I also was concerned about the resale value if I ever want to sell it. Then I went wandering around a furniture store yesterday and the thought hit me: I'm single, this is MY rig, I should make it comfortable for ME and decorate it the way I want to decorate it. If a buyer doesn't like something, I can give 'em a little discount to make up for whatever it is they don't like. Or order a new sofa before selling it. And who knows? I might drive this thing into the ground before I decide to quit RVing full time! So . . . instead of a new sofa or a new RV sofa ($$$$) I am getting a chase lounge, putting it against the wall where the sofa now sits and getting BIG pillows to put along the wall. That way, if someone wants to sit there, it's like a sofa - but I have that wonderful sloping back of a chase lounge to enjoy TV, reading, looking out the window, watching the hummingbirds, etc. All I have to do is move the pillows. That IS what the driver's seat is for when you're parked isn't it? Pillow storage? And I'm not having a desk built in. I'm taking out the existing dinette, leaving the two side walls, and putting in a beautiful black stained wooden desk. I'm getting big storage baskets to go underneath it and I'm going to refinish, or cover with fabric, the two end pieces left by the dinette and put shelves or magazine rack-type things there. I'm also going to secure a lamp to the desk to make it look more homey. I have so much storage space under the bed, I'm going to get a nice card table in case I ever want to have folks over for cards, dinner or whatever. I could only sit 4 at the dinette anyway - or 3 including me . . . .

I'll post photos when alllllll this is done . . . . whew!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like "Ole Blue Eyes" used to sing, "I Did It My Way." Not all bad advise.

Sounds like a plan to me.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #4

If you have a place to store what you take out you will be able to put it back when your through and keep your desk and lounge or yard sale them.

I would secure the desk itself, it's drawers and the lounge not just the lamp. I don't like things flying around when I am driving. Always seems like there is some nut waiting around the next corner or stop sign/light who feels they need to cut off the motorhome before it sucks all the oxygen out of the area. Helps me verify that the brakes are in good working order.

I would hate to succesfully have swerved and come to a panic stop to avoid one of them to then get hit by a desk or lounge chair that slid out and then down the center isle.

Get it the way you like it, just keep it safe.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

Neil -

Bolting the desk to the wall with L brackets and putting the baby prevention drawer closures on the drawers. Screwing the lamp to the desk. Bungying the chair to the desk when traveling.

I know what you mean about things flying around. Everything sitting on counters are glued or velcroed down and the dogs are even buckled in!!

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
I had plans to spend a LOT of money on having a desk built-in where the dinette is, getting a new sofa and all that . . . I wanted it to look nicer for ME but I also was concerned about the resale value if I ever want to sell it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're putting in a nice looking desk, work station, etc., that may actually increase the value to some buyers. A lot of 'puter types travel in coaches, and a nice looking installation can be pretty attractive - even to people don't spend all of their spare time logged on.

I also agree with you on "flying around." Sure, we hear a thump now and then from something we missed during "tie-down," but for the most part, we just make sure the drawers and doors are closed, swiveling dining chairs locked, and have had no problems. Many new coaches don't even have a way to tie down the club chair or recliner. I have also seen several very nice pieces of regular furniture, that really add to the decor, and which, as you say, just get a bungee for travelling.

I wouldn't paint cutesy cherubs and puppies all over the inside, but any tasteful redecorating or reconfiguring should not be a problem. Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #7

Ken! You mean I shouldn't hang the golden cherub to hover above the bed? And I already spent HOURS painting doggie paws in the bathroom! Darn!! LOL!!

The walls are being done in a faux finish wallpaper. Very neutral. I AM tempted to take down all thost blasted valances and blinds and put roman shades and drapes. I planned to recover the valances, but I'd much prefer roman shades and drapes. I'm using real tile for backsplashes, etc. It's going to be a classy looking place if I ever get done (I have a degree in interior design . . . .). I was going to remove the tacky gold shower doors, but I decided to just put a shower curtain in front of them.

My goal is for people who see that it's a 1999 and expect to see the cheap fabrics and stuff inside to be "wowed" when they step in the door.

The biggest challenge is finding good used captain's chairs that aren't trashed, stained or ugly as heck. And trying to figure out a way to hang this moose head.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #8

Graciesmom

We had the front facing couches that were both miserable to sit or lay on so took them out and replaced them with Ekornes Euro Loungers. Love em!!! We have the double front slide so on the passenger side slide we put a dresser type thing that's all drawers. On the driver side we have a smaller cabinet. The Euro chairs fit with one on the driver side and the other on the main floor.

We had a booth dinette that was also miserable to sit on so took it out . Went to Lowes to their custom kitchen department and they ordered kitchen cabinets that now go along the driver side wall where the dinette was. We then ordered a T shaped top that matches our countertops. I use 2 swivel high back desk chairs for our dinette chairs.

It's our home and we used all house type furniture inside. Will it affect the resale ? Perhaps since we are now set up for just two but we'll cross that bridge if and when.

With the front captains chairs, the Euro chairs and the dinette chairs 6 can sit comfortably.

In reality trade in is a farce price wise and resale privately can be worked out. As for the stuff we took out, well, it all went for free to people that were redoing vans or mobile homes.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
My goal is for people who see that it's a 1999 and expect to see the cheap fabrics and stuff inside to be "wowed" when they step in the door.

The biggest challenge is finding good used captain's chairs that aren't trashed, stained or ugly as heck. And trying to figure out a way to hang this moose head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a great plan. (Luv the m/head!)
Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #10

Savannah - you sound like my kinda people! It's our home and it should feel like our home. Would I like a new custome 2008 Winnebago Adventure? Sure! But I have a 1999 Itasca Suncruiser and since no one in their right mind would want it with the green and white upholstery and tacky green carpet, etc., I'm doing it "my way". You had some GREAT ideas!!

And Ken - I'm gonna have to pass on the moosehead. It's so big I'd be bumping into no matter where I hung it! LOL!!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #11

Graciesmom,

We're headed to Forest City later this week to have some of the carpet removed and tile put down. I wish when Winnebago cut corners they didn't do it with the carpet since that looks awful after you step on it once no matter how much you clean it.

Our 1992 Brave had wonderful wearing carpet and that inticed us into our next Winnebago. That carpet wasn't as nice but not to bad but in this Journey the carpet is just plain AWFUL.

Redecorating is fun!!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
Savannah - you sound like my kinda people! It's our home and it should feel like our home. Would I like a new custome 2008 Winnebago Adventure? Sure! But I have a 1999 Itasca Suncruiser and since no one in their right mind would want it with the green and white upholstery and tacky green carpet, etc., I'm doing it "my way". You had some GREAT ideas!!

And Ken - I'm gonna have to pass on the moosehead. It's so big I'd be bumping into no matter where I hung it! LOL!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you have the moosehead shrunken? A popular epithet to hang underneath it would be "Operor retineo lemma adepto vestri posteri".

I am considering some changes to my coach such as privacy curtains around the dinette and sofa for when the kids are sleeping. Ok both my daughters are around 20 years old but they still travel with us and I would like to give them some privacy for when dad gets up at 4 AM for coffee and to plan out the days driving.

I am thinking of something hooked over the top of the slide trim and easily removed without leaving a lot of holes in the walls or ceiling. They would have to be easy to tie back compactly out of the way and light blocking. Similar to hospital privacy curtains but not so antiseptic or utilitarian but very very sturdy.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #13

"Operor retineo lemma adepto vestri posteri"

And that means????
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #14

"Operor retineo lemma adepto vestri posteri"

And that means???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loosely translated - "Don't let em get your backside"

Might also be better put - "Operor non sino alius sumo vestri tergum pars"