Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The little LP flame is efficient and well-directed, but it doesn't make the fridge any colder than the electric heater. Once the ammonia coolant boils, it makes no difference how it got heated. And if it doesn't boil, the fridge won't cool at all. So it's possible the LP flame is a little more cost-efficient, but it won't make the fridge "work better", i.e. get colder or cool down more quickly.

You may be thinking of water heaters, where the electric heat elements produces less btus than the gas flame and thus takes longer to heat the water. That's a different animal than an absorption fridge cooling unit.
Gary I think you and I are walking down separate paths but mostly side by side. You are correct as far as how the coolant has to receive a sufficient amount of heat to boil and I am generally aware of how these heat absorption gadgets work. Btu's are Btu's regardless of where they originate and that they have to transfer heat to that coolant. What I'm trying to say is that the electric source may not be as well directed as the gas flame, hence an increase in efficiency for the gas flame. This is based on a foggy memory and if I recall, from the old Trailer Life (before CW/Lemonis ownership, i.e. 1970's)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go electric, filling the propane tank is a PIA. Electric should be cheaper.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
More of a curiosity question that others may have answered elsewhere
With propane, is it a more efficient 'fuel' for that fridge? Is it less costly to run on propane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
You might want to consider switching to residential fridge. I suspect an Energy Star rated one might be the most efficient of all.
Bob86ZZ4
Because replacing an RV fridge with a residential refrigerator would cost many more $$$ than one would ever pay to run a RV refrigerator on either propane or electricity ...."switching to a residential fridge" to reduce "refidgerator operating costs" would NOT BE cost efficient.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #18

1200 Series uses a 2200btu/hr burner which is equivalent to 645 watts

1200 Series uses TWO 225W electric elements........450W total

BUT electric elements transfer their heat directly to perk tube. Almost all heat generated is transferred.
Propane burner has to transfer it's heat via a spiral baffle hanging in flue therefore a portion of heat generated is lost to the baffle and up the flue....NOT transferred to perk tube

So it is basically an even wash........as far as efficiency

Cost......depends on kwh vs propane pricing

As for me.....I'm camping and could care less.
I use whichever is convenient for my camping situation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas