Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #15

1pounder refills

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The 4.5 has the same hookups as on a 20. I have had both. No leaks
My point was not that the 4.5 pounder would leak, but that the 1 pounders would usually leak after a refill, just like they do when disconnected with partial usage.

Sometimes my words don't express what my mind is trying to say...

GL Arnold

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold

My point was not that the 4.5 pounder would leak, but that the 1 pounders would usually leak after a refill, just like they do when disconnected with partial usage.

Sometimes my words don't express what my mind is trying to say...

GL Arnold
I think maybe you did say what you thought you said and it's that Campdaven guy leading us astray. Hey Dave (RVM1) - reading compression and propane comprehension are fun-da-mental!

Either way - I choose not to spend my time filling little green bottles with propane. To each their own. (RVM2)
Steve

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

I think maybe you did say what you thought you said and it's that Campdaven guy leading us astray. Hey Dave (RVM1) - reading compression and propane comprehension are fun-da-mental!

Either way - I choose not to spend my time filling little green bottles with propane. To each their own. (RVM2)
Steve
I even lead myself astray, RVM2.
I actually have 4.5s. Yeah, I Weber a lot!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's see. I can sit out in my chair with my favorite beverage in hand and converse with the folks walking by, or, I can find the 20 lb bottle, then find the 1 lb bottle, then the adapter and sit in the chair waiting for propane to flow.

Call me an RVM. I don't miss the 1 lb bottles. (I do have two left over from the "good-ol'-days," and maybe, just maybe some day I'll donate them to a neighbor.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Let's see. I can sit out in my chair with my favorite beverage in hand and converse with the folks walking by, or, I can find the 20 lb bottle, then find the 1 lb bottle, then the adapter and sit in the chair waiting for propane to flow.

Call me an RVM. I don't miss the 1 lb bottles. (I do have two left over from the "good-ol'-days," and maybe, just maybe some day I'll donate them to a neighbor.

Happy trails.
Me too.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Happy trails.
You are right on, RVM14!!!
Bought my 4.5s a few years ago. Had 3 1lb bottles tucked away. Donated them last year to a young family with a popup. That led to a beverage and lively conversation!

Dave
RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
I've used the adapter years ago and couldn't figure out how to get the bottles completely filled. Then I thought about what happens when I take any propane tank in to get it filled... the tech opens up a bleeder to let the air escape so the LP can take its place. Guess what the little valve core looking thingy is <technical term= pressure relief valve>??? I have been using the technique described here for many years and have had no problems. I back out the pressure relieve valve to allow the air to escape so the LP can fill the bottle. CAUTION, common sense goes a long way here, so this might not be the best solution for everyone. I believe the link does a pretty good job of explaining, in detail, the steps and precautions needed to perform this task. Best of luck and be safe!
That does look like the way to do it. For me I only use 1-3 of those little tanks a season so I just buy them. It would be great to keep them out of the landfill though.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you already have a 20 lb tank, we have about 5 since I can use an entire one in a day homebrewing, you can easily get free little ones to fill at most campgrounds. People often put them next to the dumpster for disposal. The $20 for the adapter isn't much and reusing the little ones is green. No, I don't think they get completely filled but so what? We always had two filled so when one ran out we switched to the spare and refilled the the empty. When one got looking weary I just started looking for a replacement that was tossed out.

Now that we are six months in the MH it is worth the extra space to bring along a 20 pounder and use an adapter hose for the small BBQ and 35,000 BTU burner we use to blacken fish.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I have the adapter but after filling several 1# bottles I decided it wasn't worth the effort when I can buy one for under $3. Plus I carry a 5# bottle anyway and use that when hooking up the grill for longer periods or lots of grilling.

Quote:
Thought the "newer" bottles have an internal valve/float device that shuts off the flow of propane if the bottle is tipped over?
Don't know where you heard that, but its not true. The "new" valve prevents overfilling and has an "excess flow" device that shuts it off in the event of a major leak, but doesn't care about tank position. However, when the tank is upside down it pushes out liquid LP instead of gas - that's why you turn it to fill the little bottles via the adapter.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
If you already have a 20 lb tank, we have about 5 since I can use an entire one in a day homebrewing, you can easily get free little ones to fill at most campgrounds. People often put them next to the dumpster for disposal. The $20 for the adapter isn't much and reusing the little ones is green. No, I don't think they get completely filled but so what? We always had two filled so when one ran out we switched to the spare and refilled the the empty. When one got looking weary I just started looking for a replacement that was tossed out.

Now that we are six months in the MH it is worth the extra space to bring along a 20 pounder and use an adapter hose for the small BBQ and 35,000 BTU burner we use to blacken fish.
Ummm,,,Ummm,,, I think I maybe, know, I hope, what you mean. But, this could be taken the wrong way by the wrong people so maybe you should clarifi before you get a loud knock on your door from the FBI. What are you "homebrewing" in your MH.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
You might want to check, but I thought I read somewhere that once you refill the green bottles it is illegal to transport them. Insurance companies tend to look for anything to deny a claim.
I thought that too; took one to the local LP dealer and asked about the "illegal" to transport statement on the 1# bottle. It was explained to me that statement was for commercial refilling operations only.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #26

refilling the small 1lb'rs is easy

stick empty 1lb'r in freezer for an hour
let your 20lb'r sit in sun for that period of time
connect the 1lb'r to the 20, invert the 20..open valve
once transfer is complete....remove and use

with a full 20lb'r...I was not able to get more than 13 oz in the small bottle, until putting the 20lb'r in the sun for an hour or so

I used a small scale to weigh the 1lb bottles just to verify qty that was being put into them
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent about $60 and bought a "extend-a-stay" adapter for my on-board 24 gallon tank. You have to buy the 4 port adapter to get full advantange of using the adapter for propane in and out. (The 3 port is out only for the BBQ grill).

But I can connect my grill to my on-board tank and not worry about running empty after 1 lb of use. And I can connect a 5 gallon (20lb) (BBQ) tank to provide propane to my MH if I do run out in my on-board tank and don't want to travel to refill it. It came with a 12 foot hose to connect to my gas grill, and a 5 foot hose to connect to a BBQ tank. Easy Peasy.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane