Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #29

Run on LP. Gen is only on if we need the A/C than fridge wil switch over by itself.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meandering Retiree:
We always run the generator when we travel. It uses less than a gallon an hour and we run the refrigerator on automatic so it runs on electric while we travel. With the generator on we can run the heat pumps or the air conditioners while traveling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you have dash air or dash heat?

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, we do. But a dash air conditioner pulls approximately 10% of the horse power of the engine to run. The generator is fewer horsepower and cheaper to run. The heat pumps keep the entire coach cool in that we set the back heat pump to a lower temperature than the front one and have less noise up front. When we first purchased our coach, I read all of the rv forums I could find and most seemed to agree that running the generator for the electrical needs while on the road was cheaper than running the refrigerator on LP and the dash air conditioner. Just a point of view.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Yes, we do. But a dash air conditioner pulls approximately 10% of the horse power of the engine to run. The generator is fewer horsepower and cheaper to run. The heat pumps keep the entire coach cool in that we set the back heat pump to a lower temperature than the front one and have less noise up front. When we first purchased our coach, I read all of the rv forums I could find and most seemed to agree that running the generator for the electrical needs while on the road was cheaper than running the refrigerator on LP and the dash air conditioner. Just a point of view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an interesting point of view. I wonder how one would calculate 10% of horse power to fuel used?

Jim

PS: We pull a Mini S also.

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Yes, we do. But a dash air conditioner pulls approximately 10% of the horse power of the engine to run. The generator is fewer horsepower and cheaper to run. The heat pumps keep the entire coach cool in that we set the back heat pump to a lower temperature than the front one and have less noise up front. When we first purchased our coach, I read all of the rv forums I could find and most seemed to agree that running the generator for the electrical needs while on the road was cheaper than running the refrigerator on LP and the dash air conditioner. Just a point of view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an interesting point of view. I wonder how one would calculate 10% of horse power to fuel used?

Jim

PS: We pull a Mini S also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the 10% figure because that is what we were told by the dealer on our cab tractors. He said that you could not use a gas engine on a cab tractor because it would pull too much horsepower for the AC. So all of the cab tractors on the farm were diesel. That was 20 ago or better so things may have changed drastically since then. We love to pull the Mini S because of the fun when we arrive.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #33

Dash air efficiencies are a bit of a tangent to the original thread, so apologies to the original poster.

An absolute 10% figure is a little difficult to rationalize due to variances in engine sizes and AC system tonnage. A 1.4 Liter engine in a small sedan will have quite a load on it with a typical AC compressor. My 8.9 Liter Cummins ISL probably doesn't even notice the load of the compressor.

We run dash air almost 100% of the time and augment it with basement air usually about noon if we are in 90+ temperatures. Our primary concern is keeping the coach comfortable.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #34

Either running off the inverter or completely off. Never on propane. End of statement.

With 400 watts of solar on the roof, we can stop for fuel or shop for a bit and batteries are ok, weather dependent.

If you run with fridge off, you may want to put one or two freezer packs, like Blue Ice, in the freezer the night before. Whe you are ready to travel, move the freezer packs to the fresh food section.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Always on propane.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
This has been very interesting reading. I myself will run on propane when driving. The fridge will auto switch to AC when available. Since April of 2004 the fridge in the motorhome has only been off for short periods of time while refueling. Even when parked at home I have it on and cold. I do have 50 amp service at the house so I do keep it plugged in and charging the batteries as needed. I also keep an automatic style charge on the engine batteries which keeps them topped off. I did find out from a tech at Dometic that keeping the fridge running all the time will keep rust from building up in the firing chamber.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote