Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #1

Refrigerator

Which is best for the refrigerator if you going to be sitting in the storage, do you shut down and open doors or run about 40 and keep it on. Seems like a waste to run and not have to, might be better for the Refrigerator . Ron
Rwpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpeters View Post
Which is best for the refrigerator if you going to be sitting in the storage, do you shut down and open doors or run about 40 and keep it on. Seems like a waste to run and not have to, might be better for the Refrigerator . Ron
Because I have no power at storage, I shut down and keep the doors ajar for air circulation. Even if I had power, I would likely shut it down, especially if it is the absorption type, due to potential fire.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

We empty ours and shut if off. Doors are propped open a few inches for air. We turn on two days before departing again.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
IC2

If we wont be using it for several weeks, it's shut down, cleaned and left with the doors open. It only takes a few hours for it to cool down enough for non-frozen items and 3-4 more hours for the freezer to get cold enough to keep things frozen
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
On an RV frig it's best to keep it running on the lowest setting. This will prevent the ammonia from settling and clogging. It will also prevent the exhaust tube from rusting and reducing airflow.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
On an RV frig it's best to keep it running on the lowest setting. This will prevent the ammonia from settling and clogging. It will also prevent the exhaust tube from rusting and reducing airflow.

Not true

Ammonia solution does NOT settle or clog from sitting/not running
Otherwise all the RV fridges sitting on dealer lots for months would be bad from the get go

Running an absorption fridge empty can cause more heating cycles because an empty box does not retain the coolness...no mass...and fridge will go into heating cycles more often then if fridge is full

Keeping an EMPTY RV fridge on is just a waste of energy

Unless full timing ....empty it/turn it off/prop doors open
Simple
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Mine ran for 6 years. Never shut off and never a problem. I did put water jugs in it to take up the voided space.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Not true

Ammonia solution does NOT settle or clog from sitting/not running
Otherwise all the RV fridges sitting on dealer lots for months would be bad from the get go

Running an absorption fridge empty can cause more heating cycles because an empty box does not retain the coolness...no mass...and fridge will go into heating cycles more often then if fridge is full

Keeping an EMPTY RV fridge on is just a waste of energy

Unless full timing ....empty it/turn it off/prop doors open
Simple
I'm glad we agree that we can disagree.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If I'm not using it, it's off & doors left ajar for air circulation. No reason to have it running with nothing in it for extended periods. Only takes a day to cool down so we just start it up the day before we're needing to load it for travel.

When it's unused from Nov-Apr (winter storage), I put some small containers with a handful of charcoal briquettes in. The charcoal helps absorb any odors that may be in it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I turn ours off, wait for all frost to melt, then wipe dry and clean.
I always prop the doors open for air to circulate.
Turn it on maybe 18 to 24 hours before we head out for the next trip.
It sits all winter (Nov. to April) turned off in an unheated shed.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No one asked what type refer he was talking about! When we had our Norcold, we shut it off between trips. With our residential refer we leave it running and leave things like soda and condiments in it.

The OP has a residential refer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
No one asked what type refer he was talking about! When we had our Norcold, we shut it off between trips. With our residential refer we leave it running and leave things like soda and condiments in it.

The OP has a residential refer.

Residential fridge.....
Going into STORAGE
Shut it off and prop doors open
No sense in running compressor for nothing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #13

residential type, perishables unloaded, turned off, doors propped open a bit. no electricity at storage site.

we will leave canned or bottled beverages in the refrigerator.

i do exercise the generator a hour or so each month and keep the refrigerator turned off during those periods.
bigchick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator