Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

I have 2 cards in my wallet I use for gas. If the first swipe stops and the pump won't allow a second swipe of the same card I get out the second card and swipe it. I don't let my CC out of my hands.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
This is actually common here in CA. Our Safeway and Costco and others have a limit and pump very slowly.

If you are pumping diesel go to a truck stop when possible.
Was at a Ca. Safeway yesterday, diesel was $3.99 before my 40 cent discount. But they changed from each transaction to $125 it used to be $100. I have often wondered why gas stations put a limit on your card. No other business does that I'm aware of.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #17

At our local station where I fill up the station pump label also informs you that there could be up to a $100 hold on your card for up to 24 hours, over and above what you charge for fuel. When using a credit card or debit card from a bank.

Now I have been instructed a long time ago when filling up on the road. To go inside state how much you want to put in the tank in dollar amount (usually more than you need) charge this amount to your card and sign for the amount. Fill up your tank and go back inside for the actual receipt for the fuel. This may take some time to do but look at the walking exercise you are getting. Also if you are using the truck lanes at a diesel station please pull forward after filling up just like the semis do before going inside to get your receipt.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #18

I use primarily Shell gas and the pump frequently cuts off at 20 gallons. Can usually swipe the same Shell MasterCard up to 3 times in a row.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At a BP station in WI the pump would not take my credit card outside at pump. Went inside and after the attendant tried, many attempts, it finally took the card. Took almost $200. Went back in. Card not accepted again. Tried 2nd card. Not accepted. Tried giving them a check. Not accepted. Tried a 3rd different card. Not accepted. Called manager over. He couldn't get anything to work. I was ready to call police on them and drive out. We called our credit card company they said it was not their fault.
Finally manager figured out their new credit card software would not accepted out of city payment of any type. 1 hour later station called software people to get 3rd card to be accepted. Giant PITA.
Beat this story.... True.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #20

To O/P If this is a problem then don't go to Canada or Alaska
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
This is not a good practice in my opinion. My Credit Card doesn't leave my sight, and I'm certainly never going to hand it to a clerk and walk away to do anything.....that practice is just screaming to get your card stolen. I have had to do something similar, but my wife goes in the store and holds the card until I'm done....then makes the transaction.

Several years ago I gave them my card, pumped my gas and went back in to find out they had given my card to another customer. Luckily the guy noticed he had the wrong card and he came back in as I was having a fit. I got my card back.

Now I never leave my card and once did what you did...had my wife take it in and guard it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Refueling Question

Most stations I use a card at , pre authorize a amount and put a “hold” on your account. When I walk in they run a pre charge normally I ask for 300$ Since my card notifies me of any charge via text message , this shows up as a 300.00 charge on the account immediately. When I pump less and go in the card charge is corrected and I get a reciept but it takes a day or two for he charge to be corrected at the card company. This has been standard practice at most stations I’ve used across the country for some time. I’m surprised people are just now noticing this.
I have online and app access to my account and “see” charges in real time via a text I have NEVER had the account not be corrected within a day or two but I keep the receipt until it is just in case.
The only problem is if your credit limit is not high enough to sustain high charges over a couple days or your using a debit card which hold “your” money hostage instead of a credit line.
The whole thing has been a non issue for us in almost 3 years of full time travel buying 2-350$ fuel is a normal thing.
The limit at the pump has many people pointing the finger at the other , station or card companies fault , but I was told and believe it’s the card processor the station uses ( the in between handler between the card co and the station) that sets the amount based on who knows what .. I assume ea station has a record and a “risk” associated with the station itself but that would be to logical.
Just run it twice or go inside I quess Cherokee Shell in this case is not unusual many stations operate like that.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're old-fashioned: we use cash for fuel purchases. We've gotten pretty good at estimating how much we need to fill the tank and just walk in, hand them some cash, fill the tank, and then go ask for change if there is any.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #24

Twice on our travels last month from Seattle to Florida I had our Visa Card come up as not valid at the Truck pumps at three different Loves Stations. I went inside only to be told that the pumps would only accept Commercial Cards and that I would have to leave my card with the cashier. Never had that problem on previous trips. Had a different brand station do the same thing south of Atlanta. Will no longer use Loves and will have DW go inside to watch our card in the future.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
We pulled into a Cherokee/Shell station just east of Clinton OK on I-40. Note to self, avoid Cherokee fuel stops at all costs.
Well the good news it will be difficult to find another Cherokee Station, there is only one and you found it!

This is such common practice so it's really no bother at all. On trips, I will usually stop at Loves truck lanes, go to the desk and ask for 300 dollars on the card. They swipe the card, I use the pump and if I don't use the 300 dollars it is not debited to my card. Simple! Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #26

What am I missing? What is the problem with having to put your card back in? What a bunch of whiners.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I haven't had any problems just going inside and asking them to turn the pump on and let it run. I go in and pay when I'm done. This may not work in New York City but it works almost everyplace I've been. Otherwise I use a Pilot/FJ card and pump all I want. Worst case I run a Visa then a Discover until I'm full.
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't have that problem at Wal Mart....just have to find an end pump where I can get in and get out. Also, I get a WM gift card, reduces fuel by .03 cents per gallon and no limit....other that what's on the card.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel