Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #57

Go into the station and give them your cc and ask them to open the pump. Most will do it.
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #58

gas cut off.

Here in Houston area, my Krogers pumps cut me off at $75. Its posted on pump amout from each card is different.
I had to run the card 3 times for diesel.
What surprised me was my bank called to verify the charges since thier was 3 charges from one location.
No issue here.
I just go with the flow.
afterfiveusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #59

It is very inconvenient to have the fuel cut off before the tank is full. This happens to me all the time and over the past 10 years or so. It wasn't bad before when fuel prices were lower, but now it is easy to exceed the 475 or $100 limit. I also found that my credit cards (Chase Bank) won't let me buy fuel at the same station twice in one day on the same card, so I end up charging to two different credit cards every fillup.

There is a solution. Usually if you take the card inside and leave it with the attendant, it will not shut off until full, but I am not fond of leaving my card with the attendant, especially at a busy station. Who knows, they might give my card back to someone else.

Sometimes they will be nice about it, especially at a station that is not busy, and simply turn on the pump and trust you to pay.

At any rate, I am looking to turn in my 28-foot C for something smaller for a number of reasons. I want a vehicle that can double around town when the car is in the shop. I want a vehicle that is small enough that local shops can and will work on it. And I want a roof that is less apt to deteriorate. I guess another benefit would be that if it gets better mileage, I might get away with filling up on one card.
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #60

Gas limits

[QUOTE=motojavaphil;4475213]We pulled into a Cherokee/Shell station just east of Clinton OK on I-40. The diesel pump stopped at $75.00 requiring me to go in, give them my card and go thru a goat rope exercise to complete fueling. I complained and was told Shell was at fault and they could do nothing. Where does this non-customer relations policy come from. When I am traveling I have no desire to play these games. Note to self, avoid Cherokee fuel stops at all costs.[/

Everybody denies responsibility but all brands do it. Strangely it ain’t the same limit even among brands and some places don’t have limits. Personally I think it the card companies targeting neighborhoods,
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
I also found that my credit cards (Chase Bank) won't let me buy fuel at the same station twice in one day on the same card, so I end up charging to two different credit cards every fillup.

There is a solution. Usually if you take the card inside and leave it with the attendant, it will not shut off until full, but I am not fond of leaving my card
QuikTrip (regional brand) CARD PROCESSOR has a policy of limiting frequency of charges each day. Using as a company card with multiple vehicles; got a refusal (had to use another card) because it was the 2nd charge in 18 hours even though the 1st was a top-off for $8. Called the company & complained. They changed the policy on my card and as a result ran a $118 charge on a gas E450.

Moral: Call your card issuer, explain the situation and ask to have their artificial, 1 size fits all, policies changed to accommodate your idiosyncrasies.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabc View Post
Do a search and see what's on that strip. And those electronic lock cards at hotels are even worse. Name, address, phone #, cc info including PIN, and more. Do you return those access cards? If not destroyed or properly wiped, that info sits there, ready to be picked up by a hacker
This is critical information, THANK YOU!!!
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
What am I missing? What is the problem with having to put your card back in? What a bunch of whiners.
The computer programmer figured that out long ago and the pump usually will not except the same card. With that said, at a few stations I was in fact able to re-inset my card without a problem.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #64

Just go inside, tell the cashier to put $xxx amount on the pump, fill it up and go, credit card will charged only what you dispensed.
I got 9 trucks with 100galon tanks, and deal with this issues for the last 8 years
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #65

BTW, credit card limit at the pump is regulated by the CC issuer, not the gas station.
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
In Colorado and New Mexico, my Visa card has been shut down everywhere at either $74 or $94. Not $75, not $100.

I haven’t yet had the need to override the limits. I can only drive so far without a pit stop, whether I need fuel or not.

I would much rather decide where and when I wish to pit stop and I can assure you, a fuel station is never my choice. My rig has a 150 gallon capacity and I would gladly switch that out for a 200 or bigger tank if that was an option.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We're old-fashioned: we use cash for fuel purchases. We've gotten pretty good at estimating how much we need to fill the tank and just walk in, hand them some cash, fill the tank, and then go ask for change if there is any.
I use credit cards almost exclusively. As long as you are responsible and only charge what you can afford the benefits clearly out-way the cash option. My family has taken 2 skiing trips from FL to Colorado and Utah on my credit card points. This includes airline and hotel accommodations. Plus if I loose cash it's gone, if I loose my credit card they will overnight it at no charge. It's almost like using a coupon.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #68

I don't know of any fuel pumps that will go indefinitely without stopping. $75 - $125 is the usual range. Most times it will accept the card for a 2nd round, but never for a 3rd. If I need a lot of fuel I'll go inside first, estimate high and put that on the card, then after fueling go back in and get a receipt for the amount you actually took. Might be different with Debit cards - never used one - but with credit cards this is the routine. Peter
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The card mag strip technology needs to die. Preferably a quick death. Legislation was introduced a few years back mandating chip and PIN but retailers balked due to expense. So it is not being enforced. It needs to be enforced.
Europe has had chip and PIN for years. We are years behind.
I agree, but it would require merchants to purchase new reader, if they haven't done it yet. And the majority of fuel pumps aren't set up for chips. And it means everyone would have to use a PIN, which a lot of people don't like. A neighbor keeps coming over to have me change his pin for his computer, online accounts, debit and CC cards, etc to 1-2-3-4. He says it's a pain in the @** to deal with and "if someone does steal his debit or CC card, who cares since the bank will pay for it". So much for security.

My stepson is a professor at a Denmark university and travels back to the states a few times a year. He's found numerous times his bank and CC cards from Denmark won't work here. He carries just one card with a swipe strip for those times. But their card security is generations ahead of what we have in this country (including the chip).

As an aside, I normally make my online purchases using my Citi cards. For phone or online purchases, their web site allows me to generate a 1 time unique card number for use. I set the amount and can set expiration date (2 up to 12 months). If someone tries to use that numbers after the merchant runs it, it's invalid. Plus I get 2% back on purchases on one card. Something to think about while on the road. Just remember, if you go to the web page at a public wifi site, you are still open to hacking to your sign-in and password on the public wifi.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
It is very inconvenient to have the fuel cut off before the tank is full. This happens to me all the time and over the past 10 years or so. It wasn't bad before when fuel prices were lower, but now it is easy to exceed the 475 or $100 limit. 1) I also found that my credit cards (Chase Bank) won't let me buy fuel at the same station twice in one day on the same card, so I end up charging to two different credit cards every fillup.

There is a solution. 2) Usually if you take the card inside and leave it with the attendant, it will not shut off until full, but I am not fond of leaving my card with the attendant, especially at a busy station. Who knows, they might give my card back to someone else.

Sometimes they will be nice about it, especially at a station that is not busy, and simply turn on the pump and trust you to pay.

1) The number of places that won't accept back to back sales is growing. McDonalds is one place. Reason -- a stolen card is easier to use for smaller amounts, and if under $50, less likely to be caught immediately.

2) Tell the cashier to swipe it for $XXX and go fill up. If you don't reach that amount, go back in and ask for a receipt. I do that all the time, have them enter an amount, get the receipt for that, fuel and then go back in for the final total. They enter the amount you gave them as a prepay and the final amount you actually put into the vehicle is what the charge is. If you look online immediately, you might see both, but the charge is what you actually used.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel