Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Sounds like you were looking for a free nights stay to me. Also having lookey loos driving thru just to see if their coach would fit doesn't sit well with me
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Yup, that must be it. They were taking precautions on the off chance that someone in a 45 ft. coach, towing, would want to go postal and start robbing people. Then, make a super fast get-a-way, Bonnie and Clyde style.

I'll take my business elsewhere.

Don
From the OP:
"I stopped at the Thousand Trails Encore RV park at Monroe, WA yesterday in my car"

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by series60man View Post
I am not a member and was firmly told that I could not enter. That was an opportunity for someone to give me a sales pitch, instead I was shown the door . . .
Amazing: the number of ugly responses from members of IRV2. They must have been stung really bad by the notorious Death-by-a-Thousand-Cuts; but most informative. They are obviously looking for suckers to unload their nightmare upon; and your negative revelation isn't helping them unload their $$$ unloadable albatross.

You probably looked far too intelligent.

No potential for a sale from people like you.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tours

The DW and I have toured dozens of RV parks looking for suitable spots for RV club rally's as well as places to stay on our own. We've never been turned away by any of them.

The two Thousand Trails parks we've toured, and the one we stayed in were all, to put it bluntly, dumps.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #19

Myself, I'm left wondering if there isn't more to this story. I get the fact there's snobbery (apparently on both sides of the fence here) but refusing to accomodate a potential customer just isn't good business sense? Common sense would allow for the fact management is not going to allow an employee to refuse admission to a potential customer without good reason. Period....
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm not sure if we showed up in our toad we would be admitted since it is almost 20 and a strange green (for now) color. I bet if we were in a Ferrari things would change. That said we were happily admitted to Blue Water Key RV in it, an upscale CG so who knows.

A lot of it is how you present yourself, how smart the CG employee is and what he/she has been told to do. I would just blow it off and scratch that place off your list.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #21

There may be more to the story but I think the point is that an attendant should, as good business, offer to contact a salesperson to conduct a tour. I have no way to know if that occurred.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #22

We once wintered in a RV park in Florida and prior to a gate with code being installed the drive throughs were a total pain. Our park told people they were welcome to park out front and walk through as our guests paid for these lots and having drive throughs was disruptive, raised dust and often they would turn around in peoples sites. So I do understand why some do not allow but it should also be explained in a friendly manner and not in a rude manner.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Thousand Trails park mentioned in this post missed an opportunity to make a sales presentation. I tent camped at a Thousand Trails in PA once. Nice park. The membership guy saw me coming and wanted to give me a sales presentation. All I wanted to do was camp. He was talking to me outside of the clubhouse and close by, a lady fell down and looked like she cut herself up and hurt herself pretty bad. We both ran over to help her. He had to stay with her while an ambulance was called. I hung around for a bit and, once the ambulance arrived, I went to my camp site. So I got out of the sales pitch. The Thousand Trails thing may be good for full timers but it's awful expensive, IMO.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Where I work we don't allow people to just walk through either. Security issue here and probably there too.
I sure wouldn't blame the attendant for it.
I agree Mr_D, and I forgot to mention in above post that my name and license plate number was noted on a log book at the office and we were allowed to drive through on our own. Every one was courteous and then some.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I'm not sure if we showed up in our toad we would be admitted since it is almost 20 and a strange green (for now) color. I bet if we were in a Ferrari things would change. That said we were happily admitted to Blue Water Key RV in it, an upscale CG so who knows.

A lot of it is how you present yourself, how smart the CG employee is and what he/she has been told to do. I would just blow it off and scratch that place off your list.

Wearing a "wife beater" T-shirt and spitting tobacco would not be good either.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have stopped at a number of "resorts" and been allowed to look 'em over, Never been refused.. I'm also a member of Thousand Trails and have never seen what you describe happen, I have seen many non-members allowed drive through and look 'em over... Some wound up listening to the pitch and buying a membership.

What you should do:

Go to Thousand Trails - America's Finest Outdoor Getaways, Membership RV Parks and Campgrounds (I think that 's the URL) and find the "Contact Us" link and tell them your story.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know I am gonna sound like I am insulting the OP but....

I am amazed at how often folks take one side of a story as the whole story and run with it. Simply amazes me.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #28
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I just encountered my first regulation while booking at a resort. Coach had to be 10 years old or newer to stay. This was in Moab, UT. I just made it with my 2003.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse