Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Regarding extended warrantees

We have been looking for feedback on extended warrantees for full timers.
All feedback we have seen on this site so far has been negative.
Does anyone have anything positive to say about any of these plans?
We have a 2005 Mandalay motor home and plan to start fulltiming soon.
Carl and Mary
carlmary73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personally like extended warranties if you get it from a reliable company like Fidelity. I bought a 5 year unlimited miles with a $100 deductible and have used it twice with no problems. Even with the first one, that I caused and they replaced my inverter, microwave oven and something else. Naturally some talk about self insuring but, I don't have that kind of money laying around.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like any insurance policy, they are terrific if you have a loss big enough to make them worthwhile. They are fabulous then! Seriously, if the RV has potential really big ticket repair items (most diesels do), the repair insurance could be a life saver.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Like any insurance policy, they are terrific if you have a loss big enough to make them worthwhile. They are fabulous then! Seriously, if the RV has potential really big ticket repair items (most diesels do), the repair insurance could be a life saver.
Or a big expense you don't need!
Just depends on if your rig needs repairs that are covered and how expensive they are.
We self insure, but we're also lucky enough to be able to write out a check for a high end luxury car if we wanted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We have had good experience with our last two extended warranties. Don't have one on this rig yet. They are like any other insurance--its GREAT if you don't need it--and its GREAT to have if you do need it.

We have used wholesale warranties.net to find a policy that works for us. Know what it covers, and follow the procedure if you do need to use it. I really think most of the complaints I see tend to be people who either didn't read or understand what was covered, or didn't follow the claim procedures (which seem to be all nearly the same).

Its probably more useful for some than others. If you are very handy and like doing repairs, it might not be as useful. If your like me, not handy and not interested in learning, you want to call someone to fix it. I call, pay my $50 deductible, and am happy they cover the rest. More than saved double the original cost of my last extended service plan when a black tank cracked, the all in one surround receiver DVD stopped working, and a couple of other small items that I had all replaced at one time with the $50 deductible.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #6

We just bought a 'new to us' 2009 Diplomat and included the extended warranty in the purchase price. It only added about $40 a month to our payments. We have used the warranty in the past and for the cost of engines and trannys, I feel the cost is worth it. As has already been said, it is an insurance and if it is not need than it could be considered a waste. On our 2003 Endeavor, we had to have the radiator replaced and of the $6000 bill, we only paid $1500. The extra cost was mostly due to me wanting a 'better' quality radiator installed.
Whatever you do decide, look that contract over closely to ensure that it covers what you expect it to cover.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've had two of them and no problems getting claims handled, but I'm one of those who reads the fine print and follows the procedures scrupulously. I've decided to go without one now, since the premiums went up dramatically now that my rig is 9 years old. Self-insuring now seems like a more cost-effective solution then it was when the rig was new.

Of the two repair insurance policies I had, I lost money on one cause I had few claims, but the second one, on a diesel pusher with a lot of high end gadgets, returned every penny of premiums plus an extra 20%.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

I have continuously owned a motorhome since 1979 and never purchased one.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We have an extended warranty and glad we have it. I would rather be problem free and not need the warranty, but we haven't been that lucky. We would pay for it again knowing that we may or may not need it.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just this past week I put the MH in the Freightliner shop for a 15,000 mile/1 year maintenance. During the maintenance check the technician found a problem.

My yearly ESP cost me $1148. The return from my ESP for this problem was $1119. I had to pay the $250 deductible. A few months ago it was at the dealer location and I don't remember the $$ value but the ESP paid for some of that also, and all I paid was the deductible.

So, personally an extended service plan had benefited me. Others may be more fortunate and not have breakdowns, but as stated it is an insurance policy just like the insurance on your car, or MH. You don't want to have an accident but if you do you are covered.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Just this past week I put the MH in the Freightliner shop for a 15,000 mile/1 year maintenance. During the maintenance check the technician found a problem.

My yearly ESP cost me $1148. The return from my ESP for this problem was $1119. I had to pay the $250 deductible. A few months ago it was at the dealer location and I don't remember the $$ value but the ESP paid for some of that also, and all I paid was the deductible.

So, personally an extended service plan had benefited me. Others may be more fortunate and not have breakdowns, but as stated it is an insurance policy just like the insurance on your car, or MH. You don't want to have an accident but if you do you are covered.

Happy trails.
Update:
I had a dispute with GS regarding the Expansion Valve on the AC. The stated it was not a "mechanical" failure, but Freightliner Houston sent pictures and GS is not going to send me a check for repairs. So, in my case GS ESP has paid according to their plan. It works for me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or a big expense you don't need!
Just depends on if your rig needs repairs that are covered and how expensive they are.
We self insure, but we're also lucky enough to be able to write out a check for a high end luxury car if we wanted.
New scientific advances have been able to use your profile to determine that I am your son, mistakenly switched at birth.

I'm so happy to have found you. please send money!!!!

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmary73 View Post
We have been looking for feedback on extended warrantees for full timers.
All feedback we have seen on this site so far has been negative.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Use our search feature and I'm sure you'll find plenty of positive comments on EW's. We had Easy Care for six years and were very happy with them. It provided us with the peace of mind we were looking for.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote