Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Registering a MH in Texas

I currently live in Michigan. I have my name on my mother's place in Dallas. I would like to register the MH there. Michigan plates / tags are .0047% of original MSRP. Yes, even on used. I will drive down to fulfill the registration process. Then return to MI until we sell the house and move South.
Any noticable faults in my thinking?

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To register in TX you will need to show proof of insurance, and probably need to have a state safety inspection as well.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
To register in TX you will need to show proof of insurance, and probably need to have a state safety inspection as well.
And in my state, the state in which it is/will be registered is the state in which it must be insured. So if that is the law in Texas, you'll have to get Texas insurance before they'll let you register it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

I think most insurance companies look to where the vehicle is parked day in and out. This would be the home base so to speak of where the rig is going to be operated from. I would suggest a national insurance company such as Progressive or Geico and you should have no problem.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The safety inspection station will also have to provide you with a form verifying the MH's VIN against the VIN on the Michigan title you'll be surrendering. Without the safety and VIN documentation, the Tax Assessor/Collector's office won't register it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Requirements for Tx registration.

Liability insurance meeting state minimums.

A vehicle inspection in Texas. If you're registering in one of the emission regulated counties such as Bexar (Austin) or Harris (Houston) the inspection will need to be in the same county. Also, as one other poster noted, the inspection place will give you an additional for with vin verified, be sure they know you're bringing the vehicle in from out of state.

If the title does not show the vehicle weight, you will need to have it weighed at a certified scale. Any big truck stop. Bring the certificate they provide and give them the vehicle make and vin when they fill it out at the scale. The weight of the vehicle determines to some extent the annual cost of your tags.

Be sure and bring your out of state registration showing the tax you paid when you purchased the vehicle.

Money.

Chuck
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the comments.

If we buy from a private sale, I should be able to bring that title to TX, along with the other items the state requires for registering. The insurance, title, etc wiill be based on the Dallas address.

The area of concern is that I won't have a TX drivers license.

That maybe a stumbling block.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #8

I believe TX requires a non-commercial class B drivers license if over 26,000 pounds. If your plans are to leave MI anyway, why not setup residence in TX?
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The lack of a Texas driver's license could lead to some interesting roadside conversations with one of our DPS officers, but it shouldn't have any bearing on the registration process. I don't believe you have to display a Texas driver's license unless you write a check to the Tax A/C, then they want a driver license number to put on the check. Even then, I don't know that they would insist on a Texas driver license.

The requirements for a Texas non-commercial B license have been discussed many times on this forum. They apply if the GVWR of your MH is >26,000 lbs and allow you to tow up to 10,000 lbs. If towing over 10,000 lbs with a GCWR of >26,000 lbs, you would move up to a non-commercial A license.

Rusty
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

OP, do not worry if you should happen to get pulled over by I think the poster said DPS or any other police agency. Your rig will be legally registered! RV'ers aren't the only folks who have multiple state residences. You can't have a license in them all. Frankly most cops have more important things to worry about then you having two houses in two states,
Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Oh, I didn't say that he would be pulled over for having Texas plates or a Michigan driver license. Just that, should he be pulled over, the mismatch with both in the OP's name and no LLC involved will be an interesting topic of conversation since Texas grants a limited time period to transfer both registration and driver licenses for Texas residents (which the OP is claiming in post #1).

Rusty
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #12

Thanks for the clarification Rusty!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I registered my MH in Texas, I had a Capacities sheet from my builder that showed all of the weights for the MH. I showed them this sheet. They want to know if your over 26,000 lbs because it puts you into a different category for registration. So I did not have to weigh my RV.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

FWIW, I registered my MH in Florida using my vacation home's address. I advised my insurance company that the MH would be garaged there most of the time, which is true. They had no problem with that. I never got a Florida Driver's license, since I reside most of the time in NY. Also not a problem for the insurance company.

My communications with the insurance company were by e-mail, so I had a written record if it was ever needed.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas