Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Registering RV and Cars in AZ

We are moving this month to AZ. We will take a motor home, two cars and an ATV. What do I need to know?

More specifically, are there any things odd in AZ registrations I should be forewarned about? Is it one of those states that "taxes" you every year, maybe based on the value of the vehicle?

And my ATV is not street legal in IL, but AZ is a big off-roading area (we will be in Sedona) and you often have to drive on some streets before getting to the trails. Is it difficult/costly to register an ATV to be street legal? I see ATV tours with license plates on the ATVs, but of course they are making money and perhaps could afford to spend for some expensive process.

Thanks for any and all information.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

I have a house in Lake Havasu, AZ where I also keep a RZR UTV. It is street legal. Requirements are rear view mirrors, wind shield, half wind shield is OK. turn signals, hand signals will suffice, light on rear license plate, and a horn. No big deal. Street license is about $4 per year. Off road tags is about $25. I don't remember the exact numbers. Also, you cannot ride on the highway, i.e. Hwy 95. Everything else is OK. Your plate is a motorcycle plate.
RV registration is different. Mine is registered in CA so I can't be specific on that detail.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just remember to bring your checkbook. Arizona is extremely expensive for any vehicle registration.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Get ready for a big sticker shock. Registering cars and especially RVs in AZ is very expensive. It is indeed based on the value of your vehicle and its age.
Just Google AZ registration and you will find your answers. No idea how ATVs are being handled.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Your vehicles will need to be inspected at the local MVD and emission tested if you are moving to Maricopa or Pima county's. If you are living in Sedona there will be no emission requirement. Your atv will be a challenge depending on how much you will need to spend to make it street legal and the status of the title. Your cost for this adventure will depend on the value of your vehicles, brace yourself. You will also need to get an AZ drivers license. Sedona is beautiful. Here is a link for the fees. A $25k vehicle will cost you $420/year.
https://servicearizona.com/content/S...ees?otherclick
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

We bought our 2015 Lifestyle new in CA for about $75K. We considered registering it in AZ and checked on the fees. For the registration value AZ goes to a computer and pulls up their MSRP value. Not your MSRP or what you paid for it. In my case AZ said that my MSRP was $128K and my taxes will be based on $128K! For successive years they will reduced the value by 16% per year. So potentially your RV registration could be very pricey. Just be advised.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's what I can say, I bought my MH in FL last year and brought it to AZ. Mine in a little different though, I bought an 2008 National but they could not find it in the system as a 2008, so they registered it as an 2007 the year of my chassis. You will have to have it inspected and for my county, it needs emission tested. I paid $457.89 last year, this year I paid $381.72, I believe my MSRP was around $118,000.

My ATV is easy, rear view mirror, parking/brake light, reflective tape, and <$10, with proof of insurance and the $25 off road tag.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

Street legal ATV horn rear view mirror and a license plate light and insurance same as your car. Off road plate can do up to 25% on road but you still need insurance. $25 off road $5 for limited on road make sure you tell them limited or it'll be a lot more. Just got the renewal on my 08 Diplomat $1049.18. Depending where your moving from you'll be shocked
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Az vehicle plates are on the expensive side. Our cars are older now so the new tags are reasonable, less than $50 per car, but our '13 DP was $2800 when the tags became due. When we bought it in '15 the dealer collected $3900 from us, the MVD later refunded about $500 due to overpayment. It's just something you have to live with.

Once you get a plate for your ATV, the state only requires a $25 yearly OHV sticker, for off road use only of course. You will need liability insurance and meet minimum equipment standards to get street tags.

A watercraft is $35 per year and is governed by the Dept of Game and Fish.

We've been here in Az since '05, and just FYI we are making plans for our departure from this state. It's too hot most of the year, the crime is out of control and there are far too many homeless people and tweakers on the streets. Az has proven to be MORE EXPENSIVE to live here than in SoCal where we came from. To be fair about it though, we are in the Phoenix area so other parts of the state may be different.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we moved here from L.A. county, CA in 2003 our vehicle registration and insurance both doubled, what a shock. On the other hand my MH became a year newer, because they register by Chassis year not coach MFR year.

Glenn
Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

Thanks everyone, although, ouch, not the RV registration answers I was hoping for. Sounds as if at least my (older) cars registration cost will go down. A small consolation in the big picture.

I don't think in Sedona we have the crime and homeless problems mentioned in Phoenix.

Glenn, didn't your MH get a year older, not newer, if they use the chassis age?
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #12

The traffic in Sedona is much worse than Phx. Packed with tourists. I understand why, it is a beautiful place.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Thanks everyone, although, ouch, not the RV registration answers I was hoping for. Sounds as if at least my (older) cars registration cost will go down. A small consolation in the big picture.

I don't think in Sedona we have the crime and homeless problems mentioned in Phoenix.

Glenn, didn't your MH get a year older, not newer, if they use the chassis age?
Nope, it was a 98 model coach on a 99 chassis.

Also Cottonwood, which is near Sedona, has had some crime problems lately.

Glenn
Old 09-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
We've been here in Az since '05, and just FYI we are making plans for our departure from this state. It's too hot most of the year, the crime is out of control and there are far too many homeless people and tweakers on the streets. Az has proven to be MORE EXPENSIVE to live here than in SoCal where we came from. To be fair about it though, we are in the Phoenix area so other parts of the state may be different.
Pick your next place carefully. Crime is everywhere. Interesting in this article that Phoenix, Cottonwood or Sedona are not even mentioned.

FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America « CBS Chicago
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote