Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our vin number had to be verified by an officer as well. You are not going to be able to get this done remote controlled.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

I don't know where the posters above got their info on having to have 6 months residency to title or register a vehicle but they are wrong. FL requires you do it within 10 days after moving there.

The VIN can be verified by a cop in any state you are in. I was in RI when I transferred everything to FL and a RI cop filled out the form for the VIN verification.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I documented the method we used to change our domicile from NY to Florida early this year. It was relatively painless, but you do need an official Florida address. The Declaration of Domicile form is also very important.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are in the process of doing this right now. We bought a small boat trailer last year in Florida and registered it no problem. This year we are selling it and transported PWCs down from NY on another. The tags transferred from one to the other very easily. We also have a utility bill, in this case Directv, new bank accounts and the copy of the change of address with USPS.

I'm not sure where proving you own property can be an issue. If you did not own and rented an apartment or something in your original home state then moved to Florida to do the same you would not own but could be a resident. Can you not? We have a rental agreement and statement on RV park letterhead stating we are residents. We stay there 5+ months and at least another one month other places in Florida.

Next are drivers licenses, we hope without a problem, then start registering vehicles. One I got the signed by a LEO form filled out by an officer in NY before we left so (hopefully) we can put the tags on there to transport it down.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #19

Let me add to my post because someone mentioned the six months thing. I waited six months to register in FL because I procrastinated, and that's why VA wants six months PPT from me even though the vehicles were garaged in FL for those six months. Let me also add, property ownership does not determine legal domicile. For example, I still own property in VA and I'm no longer a legal resident there. The OP's post is about registering his RV in FL even though he's not a FL resident. Based on his facts, he is a bonafide VA resident and registering in FL before he changes his domicile is, I'm sorry to say, fraud.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I documented the method we used to change our domicile from NY to Florida early this year. It was relatively painless, but you do need an official Florida address. The Declaration of Domicile form is also very important.
The Declaration of Domicile is nice and can be used to show your intent to become a permanent resident but it's not all that important or necessary. There are other ways that FL accepts to show that you are a permanent resident and I doubt if most people that move there file the Declaration of Domicile form.

Florida Statue ß196.015 lists the following relevant factors that may be considered in determining a personís intent to establish permanent Florida residency:
  • Formal declaration of residency (Declaration of Domicile);
  • Your designated mailing address;
  • Informal statements regarding residency;
  • Your place of employment;
  • Termination of your previous residency in another state or country;
  • Registration to vote in Florida;
  • A Florida driverís license;
  • Florida license tags on all of your vehicles;
  • Using a Florida address on your federal income tax forms; and/or
  • Previously filed Florida intangible tax returns.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #21

Because we have a home in Mi., we maintain our Mi. residency, mailing address, driver's licenses, and voter registration, but are able to register our vehicles/trailers in Fl. or Mi. - because we also own a second home in Fl. Obviously, not hard to document we have utility bills and annual property taxes in both states, but we've never been required to do that.

We could do a switch up, and claim Fl. residency with the Mi. claimed as a second home, but we'd get killed on the Mi. place when it comes time to pay property taxes. Second/vacation homes are taxed at a MUCH higher rate there. That's about the only reason we're careful when it comes to still claiming Mi residency.

Wondering out of sheer curiosity, if a person wanting to register a vehicle in Fl. would actually need to own a home, or if you might be able to get away with owning undeveloped property (an acre of swamp for instance)?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Because we have a home in Mi., we maintain our Mi. residency, mailing address, driver's licenses, and voter registration, but are able to register our vehicles/trailers in Fl. or Mi. - because we also own a second home in Fl. Obviously, not hard to document we have utility bills and annual property taxes in both states, but we've never been required to do that.

We could do a switch up, and claim Fl. residency with the Mi. claimed as a second home, but we'd get killed on the Mi. place when it comes time to pay property taxes. Second/vacation homes are taxed at a MUCH higher rate there. That's about the only reason we're careful when it comes to still claiming Mi residency.

Wondering out of sheer curiosity, if a person wanting to register a vehicle in Fl. would actually need to own a home, or if you might be able to get away with owning undeveloped property (an acre of swamp for instance)?
I think in some states, Florida may be one, that if you have a vehicle in the state for X amount of months continuous, you are required to register it there.

About your Mi. home. Might want to check with an attorney about putting it in a LLC. There may be problems with capital gains if you sell so you really need to see one that knows tax law. We have a friend that is a legal assistant that has mentioned this to us but we need to make an appointment and see how it works. For NY one advantage is protection from the state if one of us ends up in nursing home from what I can gather.

The northern states have let all of their industry dry up, move or go under so there is no tax base left. Now they are forced to strangle hold anyone that still can pay tax. There is a big difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion so we need to be careful.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaint View Post
The Declaration of Domicile is nice and can be used to show your intent to become a permanent resident but it's not all that important or necessary. There are other ways that FL accepts to show that you are a permanent resident and I doubt if most people that move there file the Declaration of Domicile form.

Florida Statue ß196.015 lists the following relevant factors that may be considered in determining a personís intent to establish permanent Florida residency:
  • Formal declaration of residency (Declaration of Domicile);
  • Your designated mailing address;
  • Informal statements regarding residency;
  • Your place of employment;
  • Termination of your previous residency in another state or country;
  • Registration to vote in Florida;
  • A Florida driverís license;
  • Florida license tags on all of your vehicles;
  • Using a Florida address on your federal income tax forms; and/or
  • Previously filed Florida intangible tax returns.
The Declaration of Domicile is more important to the old state than to Florida. This declares your intention of changing your domicile to a new state. With this declaration the old state does not have the power to try to still consider you a resident of the old state. Sorry if this was not more apparent.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I think in some states, Florida may be one, that if you have a vehicle in the state for X amount of months continuous, you are required to register it there.

About your Mi. home. Might want to check with an attorney about putting it in a LLC. There may be problems with capital gains if you sell so you really need to see one that knows tax law. We have a friend that is a legal assistant that has mentioned this to us but we need to make an appointment and see how it works. For NY one advantage is protection from the state if one of us ends up in nursing home from what I can gather.

The northern states have let all of their industry dry up, move or go under so there is no tax base left. Now they are forced to strangle hold anyone that still can pay tax. There is a big difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion so we need to be careful.
This is one of those rules that is not enforced often, perhaps because the offenders do not get caught. I know of 2 coaches in our park that are licensed elsewhere, or not licensed at all that "reside" in Florida full time. Perhaps a phone call to the Florida DMV would change this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

We understand that many states charge more property taxes to those that don't actually "live" in a property. But Michigan already absolutely slays their citizens with an extremely high state income tax that Florida doesn't have. They tax you to death in order to give entitlements to the failing Detroit.

On the other hand, those in Florida with property are paying very high property taxes and very high home owners insurance (if applicable.)

I'm very fortunate to live in a state with very, very low property taxes and state income taxes. When I hear what it costs for license plates and personal property taxes "up north" on vehicles, RV's and boats, it's just frightening. Us country boys just want to be left alone when it comes to taxation.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #26

My non resident Florida taxes, on a home of comparable value to the one we have in Mi, are about 1/3 of those we pay in Mi.

Point being, Fl. property taxes are way cheap - even if it's not your primary residence.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our property taxes on a very nice RV lot we own in Florida are 1/3 of those on an RV lot we own in South Carolina. They "kill" us in Florida with utilities, sales taxes and insurance premiums.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida