Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazeee1 View Post
I say, if parked indoors, screw em! Iowa just redid all fees for
Some states, like California and Washington offer "rewards" to turn in your neighbor if they have an RV that has out of state plates . . . . It's all about how much risk you are willing to accept.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazeee1 View Post
I say, if parked indoors, screw em! Iowa just redid all fees for
I can certainly appreciate your independent attitude, but it isn't nearly that simple. We had a client who got caught by NYS and it was an expensive experience for him. He had to pay the sales tax, the interest, and a very, very substantial penalty.

The Montana LLC can be used legally if you comply with your state's own laws and you can document that compliance. In our situation we do not think we can comply with NY's requirements so we will not opt for the Montana LLC. Either you can obey your home state's law and use it to your benefit or you can't.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If financing I would highly recommend using a credit union. Cheaper rates and usually easier to deal with.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #18

Good advice

Thanks for the tips on the Montana LLC. I definitely don't want to live looking over my shoulder every day. I will research some more. I thought it might be an easy loophole. I guess uncle Sam is always gonna get his pound of flesh no matter what

Thanks for the financing tips too. I'm not in a huge rush to buy, so I will research and get best financing option. Again, I am looking to start the rving spring of 2017. So far, my best resource for finding coaches to look at has been rvtrader. Is there any other large resources out there? Most of the deals that I see are way out of my area. I'm a little afraid to buy in say Florida or California. ..and not have the ability to easily drive it back with a problem. Of course I'm not talking about little things... but just in case a large problem... will the dealers usually stand behind the coach and work things out? I guess the whole warranty thing is a huge conversation in and of itself.

Guys, have a great day!!!

Dave
collecter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #19

Dave, it isn't Uncle Sam that gets bent out of shape about the Montana LLC's but the state of residency. Some states like NY, CA, MA, and NJ are very aggressive in pursing sales tax that they fell, rightfully or wrongfully, that they are entitled to. I'm sure there are other states that are equally as aggressive but residency audits are very involved and it can be very expensive to defend one's choice of residency.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Did you say you are in New Jersey ? No idea about rv's from there other than the road salt questions

but as far as warranty from a dealer even if he's next door and promises the world,
you should work on the premise of once you sign the papers, even BEFORE driving it off the lot, all bets are off!
Anything more than that and you will be presently surprised...

There are warranty companies that do offer warranty on major items,
but expect that to be hard to collect on as well (sometimes)

here in North Texas there are more than a few dealers that we live close to and have fun going out to see the latest and greatest as well as used rv's to give us an idea of value:

http://www.nirvc.com/
Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes