Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #1

Registration Frustration

Greetings all, I live in California and purchased my new rig in Arizona last month, took it to California DMV to get it registered and the FUN began! So, the diesel engine in my Tuscany is certified by EPA emission standards for all states in the Untied States, the Vehicle Emission Control Information plate on the back of the engine says so, however, in order to get the vehicle registered in California, it has to specifically say "meets California standards". I've called the dealer in AZ, who referred me to Thor, who referred me to Freightliner who referred me to Cummings. Cummings sent me a sheet on paper with a bunch of numbers that supposedly correspond with my specific engine, well as you can guess, DMV said NO! Question, has anyone has similar experience living in California and purchasing out of state to be registered in California?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160120_123901.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	117030  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suggest you speak with Barb at Barb's vehicle registration in Escondido CA or similar independent registration service that knows their stuff. I would not deal directly with the DMV as they can be, well, let's just say, problematic...

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #3

I don't see anything on that sticker that says "all 50 states", just U.S. (as in federal law) If it met Ca requirements it would say so. In the automotive industry we're all too accustomed to "California Cars" and their oddball peculiarities.

As to registering it. Get a smog test done to see if it will certify.
Quote:
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.
Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:
  • Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
  • Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
  • Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
  • An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
  • Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #4

OOPSIE..........Looks like someone didn't do their homework. Did you really save that much money considering your headache.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
49 other less frustrating states to live in (just sayin)
Old 01-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Past history lesson - my wife was from Canada and we imported her Tempo to California. It was not a California car. I dod not pass the emissions test. It was declared to be a "gray market" car. Choice was to have it converted ($15,000) or return it to Canada. It went back....😔
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
I've registered 2 diesels in Calif. The first in '06 was simple. There was a plate on the back of the Cummins and the DMV agent looked at it and everything was fine. The second time was in '15 when I registered my Eagle. Detroit, for some reason, put the ID plate on the front of the engine. I had paperwork from Detroit saying the engine was Ca certified but that didn't fly. The agent had to see the plate. I showed her where it was and she crawled in and "read" it. Wrote them a check for tax and license that was equivalent to my daughters college education and I was registered.
BTW, diesel engines in a motorhome over 26k lbs don't have to be smogged in California.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Ca is funny about vehicles purchased out of state for many reasons.

Often they must be owned for some time first.

Ca does require specific smog stuff for good reason...As much as we dislike it the basins we have and the too many people require it.

First action is to contact dealer to have them confirm suitability of your unit.

If you purchased it new part of the dealer fees includes registration.

If the dealer was aware that you were from ca then they fully knew they needed to provide a ca certified unit.

The dealer not you own this.

Advise the dealer THEY need to contact the manufacturer and work out the details to get it done.

The dmv has special agents for this and you may need to meet one.

Second task is contact manufacturer on your own to ask if unit is certified for ca and if not request they correct it as you expected it to be.

This could be simple or a mess...good luck!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Small point but it's Cummins (no G)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MOVE elsewhere!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank the idiots in Sacramento.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It would be WELL worth your time to join AAA. It's about a $100.00 to join their roadside assistance, which will give you access to their DMV people. Walk in and have them do the registration.

The Ca DMV personnel are basically idiots. You can walk in with the simplest registration, everything in order and they still struggle.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It would be WELL worth your time to join AAA. It's about a $100.00 to join their roadside assistance, which will give you access to their DMV people. Walk in and have them do the registration.

The Ca DMV personnel are basically idiots. You can walk in with the simplest registration, everything in order and they still struggle.
This is the simplest way to go.

I helped a friend with an out of state Cummins register in CA. Found a small 3/4" by 1 1/2 " sticker on the motor on the side of the front plate that said CA CARB compliant.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Found a small 3/4" by 1 1/2 " sticker on the motor on the side of the front plate that said CA CARB compliant.
May be a "marketing opportunity" there?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust