Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Relocating Stress & Detail Management

We're closing on selling our home of 38 years in 30 days. We have a Born Free camper awaiting us in Reno. (Two grown children in California, with two granddaughters). We also have a 6-family building that we own here in Connecticut. As well as "hobby stuff", I have power tools, hand tools etc. I'm cursed with being emotionally connected with my "stuff", and I know that complicates things. I've come up with some options on how to disentangle from "everything", and would appreciate feedback from those who have gone through this.

We've gone on multiple 2 month trips in our camper, and have NEVER "missed home". Although the camper might be a little small, we want to keep this transition as simple as possible, so we're delaying the purchase of a larger unit. Here's my ideas on how to "get out of this place".

1. Store tools in apt. house, store personal keepsakes in local storage, fly to Reno and return with camper to Connecticut (taking our time). Rent trailer and slowly meander out west with trailer of stuff.
2. Put hitch on 2003 Honda Accord, rent trailer, store tools in apt. house and drive to Reno. Use Honda as toad for the Born Free.
3.Rent a "Pod" for keepsakes (or hire a mover of small quantities), fly to Reno, ship Pod to Reno, give some keepsakes to family and store remainder.

Any options that I haven't considered would be appreciated. Thanks for your input!!
tanksalotct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of the most amazing books I've ever read... but you must make it through it...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing.../dp/1607747308

I'm now a big believer in letting go... and I can do it with gratitude.

Best of luck in your travels!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

We had a 2500' sq. ft. home on a lake before going full-time. To us, it was a big relief and a weight off our shoulders to get rid of all of it. We didn't miss a thing in our 16 years of full-timing. We didn't want our kids burdened with having to deal with it when we passed. We offered whatever they wanted to take to them and they didn't want anything. They were busy accumulating their own 'stuff'. They didn't even want our 'keepsakes'. The 'stuff' owns you. You don't really need it. If you pay for storage you could buy new by the time you use it. Furniture and clothes get outdated. We had every tool imaginable and when we RV'd we whittled it down to a 1'x2' canvas bag for anything we might need.

If you're moving to a new house I hope it small and maintenance-free. Then you can really enjoy RVing!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

If you are like us and collected many tools it is hard to let go and we likely never will...built a shop to clutter with them...

However table saws and mills are hard to carry.

What is starting to be common now are "builder clubs" where older folks are connecting up with younger ones who never got exposed to making things ( whole nutter discussion) and creating work spaces.

They pool funds to rent space then pool tools to make sometimes great shops.

Se out such places where you plan on landing and maybe setup a loaning arrangement where you can loan them your stuff (free storage) and also have access for use ( free shop) and be sure to consider insurance and liability issues too.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Storage units are not cheap. Weigh the cost of replacing some of the to be stored things to cost of storage. We had two storage units at onetime(non now) and paid more in storage cost than the cost of replacing those items we really needed.

LEN
Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

i guess you have to ask yourself why you are keeping this stuff. We have a storage unit and I have to stop and try to remember what's in there. We however, are doomed to always have a storage unit. My wife try's to keep everything, especially dead relatives cheap furniture. So my advice is to make the items you may need accessible, either a storage unit out west or a small toolbox you can carry. If the items your storing are never going to be needed till you come off the road, leave them in Conn.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the fulltiming! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

big difference between 2 months and full time. i would save the tools,ect to fall back on if full timing is not for you after a period of time. easier to save than replace quality tools . good luck on your new adventure.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat