Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a lot of well schooled folks out here and they like to share their knowledge. I also enjoy reading the information as well. You're never to old to learn.

J. Birder, I was usually speaking to HS students with my story about hitting a bridge. I wanted them to gain a better understanding and appreciation of how the brakes did their job but in a more scientific way. Throwing in the heat generated by the crushing metal would have just cluttered their minds. It's a point well made though.

Years ago I had a friend who taught Physics and he was a good Physics teacher. He came over to the auto shop one day and asked if I had a torque wrench. I told him that we had to have one to do what we do in the shop.

He then said, " I've been teaching torque and torque concepts for 25 years and I've never seen a torque wrench." That very clearly demonstrated to me how some smart people don't ever or can't ever relate what they teach to the real world.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
wa8yxm, could you perhaps clarify? I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of points in your explanation, because 60 mph has been the equivalent of 88 ft/second for at least the past 67 or so years that I'm aware of, ;-)
It is possible I made an error in the math or tapped the wrong button on the calculator.

In fact,, Doing the math without the aid of a calculator you are quite right it is 88 Feet per second...(I got to learn to trust my brain more and my electronics less).

Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
The only thing I remember from high school is Becky Taylor....Oh Baby!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Just hold the pedal to the floor, you'll get there faster...
Press on brother, He|| ain't half full!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I remember this one well because I taught it and it's applications every year for 35 years.
"Energy can be neither created nor destroyed merely changed from one form to another."
Actually Einstine's E=MC^2 is about the conversion of mass into energy.. In this case Mass is destroyed and Energy is created.

And it has been proven in atomic blasts the amount of energy released is more than you would expect given the conservation laws and the amount of mass recovered is less.. But if you convert a bit of mass to energy It balances nicely.

or so I'm told.. This is actually a bit ABOVE my pay grade. But the source (Which sadly was over 40 years ago) was supposed to be reliable.. I believe it was a textbook.

This I do know.. When that atomic blasts converts matter to energy.... I have a very strong wish to be.. SOMEWHERE FAR FAR AWAY.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #20

I would love to do the math but according to the "new Math" taught today to our children, 2 + 2 no longer equals 4.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Just hold the pedal to the floor, you'll get there faster...
Just like high school, except the girls don't move so fast anymore.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
The only thing I remember from high school is Becky Taylor....Oh Baby!
I think she went to my school also.LOL
Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I would love to do the math but according to the "new Math" taught today to our children, 2 + 2 no longer equals 4.
No that is very old math.. From the song "Cheap Lawyer" by Frank Hayes

Ask any housewife how much 2 and 2 is
And without hesitation she will surely answer 4
Ask an accountaint and he'll say I'm almost certain
But let me run through those figures once more
As an doctor and he'll think about Malpractice
And tell you that he's fairly sure at the very least it's 3
As a lawyer and he'll lock the doors and draw the curtains
And whisper to you "How much do you want it to be"

Actually 2 AND 2... Is 2, 2 PLUS 2 is 4 But that is high level or computer math (And and Plus do NOT mean the same thing,, And is a Boolean operator).

But hey,, I like Frank's song non the less You may Google for it and if you get lucky find it.. (I have not tried..I have live recording on hand...Frank helped me in my first public singing appearance).

I learned math during the transition period so I got a bit of both..Thus I do some operations differently using a "Stack" system and working left to right rather then right to left.. But when I do the work instead of trusting my devices...I usually get the right answers.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I think she went to my school also.LOL
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
No that is very old math.. From the song "Cheap Lawyer" by Frank Hayes

Ask any housewife how much 2 and 2 is
And without hesitation she will surely answer 4
Ask an accountaint and he'll say I'm almost certain
But let me run through those figures once more
As an doctor and he'll think about Malpractice
And tell you that he's fairly sure at the very least it's 3
As a lawyer and he'll lock the doors and draw the curtains
And whisper to you "How much do you want it to be"

Actually 2 AND 2... Is 2, 2 PLUS 2 is 4 But that is high level or computer math (And and Plus do NOT mean the same thing,, And is a Boolean operator).

But hey,, I like Frank's song non the less You may Google for it and if you get lucky find it.. (I have not tried..I have live recording on hand...Frank helped me in my first public singing appearance).

I learned math during the transition period so I got a bit of both..Thus I do some operations differently using a "Stack" system and working left to right rather then right to left.. But when I do the work instead of trusting my devices...I usually get the right answers.
Here ya-go: HoF Inductees: Erica Neely
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
And it also takes longer to get there...
Depends on the desired destination.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Too many variables to definitively determine exact stopping distance without knowing hundreds of factors then applying the applicable formulas needed to reach a conclusion based on that specific example. The results will be useless, except for a generalization and illustrative purposes, for anything other than the specific vehicle and the parameters provided. Always makes for an "interesting" thread however.

Probably the most important variable in an emergency braking situation is an individuals reaction time (rt). There are many rt tests available on the 'net which will test your rt and show how you stack up against the average Joe. The average reaction time is 265 milliseconds (.265s), according to the data collected so far (over 18 million attempts) on the link below. Note: 30ms is currently a typical lag for users "clicking" a desktop/laptop.

This is consistent with the data recording collected on our race cars. We measure HRT (human reaction time) and VRT (vehicle reaction time) to determine the TRT( total reaction time) needed for the vehicle to respond to driver input. For comparison purposes, an experienced racing driver's, or most athelete's tested, HRT is consistently in the .15s to .18s range... anything slower and the driver was distracted or otherwise off his game. VRT is consistently in the .25s range. When we test folks off the street our findings reflect the the data quoted above with the avg HRT of .25s.

The data establishes a "normal" (non distracted/impaired) driver will see his vehicle actually respond to input in roughly .5 second. Assuming a speed of 60mph that translates into 44 feet. I recommend HRT testing to learn your personal capabilities and limits. At the very least you will discover how easily you can be distracted and the "penalty" in HRT for any distraction or alcohol consumption.... even "just a beer, or one cocktail". Also, consider securing the contents in the RV and practice a few "panic stops"... in a safe area of course. The knowledge of how your combination reacts and responds in critical situations is invaluable, and may prove to be beneficial to your safety. Be safe and enjoy your travels.

HRT test

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote