Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #43

I bought my 1995 motorhome a few months ago, it had been sitting for some time and on inspection of the tires the two michelins in front had side wall cracking but good treads so I planned to replace them, the four on the rear looked to be in great condition but I could not find a manufacture date.

Last weekend I took a short trip, 50 miles from home the right rear inside tire lost its tread causing damage to a support beam holding the body to the chassis, I was able to get to my destination and replace the wheel, I suspected that this tire was a recap but was not sure, i started back home and was within 10 miles of my house when the rear left outside lost its tread and caused body damage that I will now have to repair on top of purchasing six new tires.

Needless to say but I would NEVER use recaps.

The motorhome that I just sold had six Hankook's on it that I installed Five or six years ago and still looked like new with less than five thousand miles on them, if I could have I would have switched the wheels with my new RV but that was a Chevy and this is a Ford.

I am about to put six Yokohama's on my new rig as I am told they are an even better ride than Hankook's also a better price, I would like any input on my choice.

Does anyone know where I can find a used 16x6 ten lug Ford rim, I live in California.

ThorMirage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Okay, another misconception. Most of the "gators" you see along the road are caused by under inflation (virgin tires as well) and aren't just peeled recaps.
This was confirmed by our local tire dealer when I mentioned all the "recaps" along the freeway... he told me that they were primarily from duals that the driver did not know were under inflated until the tread ripped off.

As I stated in another thread, the dealer, a Wingfoot dealer, also told me that they don't check the dates on tires they recap, they inspect the interior of the casing and if it is good they recap it. And they recap a lot of tires.

My experience with Asian tires is limited to a recent, perspective purchase of a used 2004 Dutch Star. The MH was in excellent condition... like new with low mileage. The owner had reduced the price to a reasonable price for the year and condition and was firm in the price. When I did my inspection I noticed it had 6 new Goldstar tires... odd, I thought, for a quality coach. In searching the internet for the brand, I found very little information about the brand. I found a poorly designed website that confirmed that they were Asian. From the appearance of the website and the fact that there didn't appear to be any dealers to speak of I decided that I would have to spend around $3000 for a new set of tires immediately. When I told the owner that I would have to replace the tires immediately and would offer their price less $3000 for new tires. When I mentioned this to them became rather nasty, and virtually hung up on me. This left me rather dazed, wondering what I had said that they took offense to.

Rather than exposing myself to further poor behavior, I decided to explain my rationale via email. I explained that I could not feel comfortable travelling any distance on a tire that, in the event of a blowout and roadside service, I could not have replaced easily, and properly matched. And because of the odd brand I would would, most likely, have to purchase two tires for a matching a replacement at roadside service prices.

As an end result, the deal did not go through due to a set of Goldstar Asian tires.

I buy Michelins...

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
............I find it almost unbelieavable that Air Force One or any other Executive mode of transportation would use this type of tire, JMHO.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Well.......the steer axle ban also applies to ANY COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE that is subject to DOT inspection. A private vehicle you can do what you want but recaps can not be used on any commercial vehicle.

Okay, one more time.
Paragraph "D" of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Title 49 part 393.75 states "No bus shall be operated with regrooved, recapped or retreaded tires on the front wheels". This paragraph can be found on page 241 of the Federal Motor Carrier safety regulations hand book. Paragraph "E" addresses the use of regrooved tires on the steer axle of a truck tractor but says nothing about recapped tires on the front. I have the book in front of me and open to page 241 and it's right there in black and white...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #47

NO NO NO recaps blow apart think of all the truck tires you see on the road. chances are they are re caps or as you call them remoulded. ive driven trucks for years and i have ran them. if you dont want to tear up your rv go with the new tires. most that you get are from china. i would go with double coin or another reputable brand
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Off road, quarry haul trucks, under Federal MSHA rules, cannot use recaps on the steer axle.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abneynormal View Post
NO NO NO recaps blow apart think of all the truck tires you see on the road. chances are they are re caps or as you call them remoulded. ive driven trucks for years and i have ran them. if you dont want to tear up your rv go with the new tires. most that you get are from china. i would go with double coin or another reputable brand

You may have been right about most of the "gators" being recaps 30 years ago, but today they are not the majority of rubber you see along the road. Most tires fail (including recaps) because of under inflation . Even new virgin tires can have problems...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
............I find it almost unbelieavable that Air Force One or any other Executive mode of transportation would use this type of tire, JMHO.
David G.
What you don't know is that aircraft tires go thru many more inspections daily & have very specific limits on nitrogen pressure loss, wear, cracking, ect, ect than most highway vehicles. For instance if a tire losses more than 10% of its pressure we change it, more than 20% & we replace its mate also. Do you maintain your MH tires this way? Most likely not.
I will not tell you that Airforce One uses retreaded tires, may or may not, & its been 26+ years since I worked on the Vice Presidents DC 9 & the First Ladies DC 9. I can not remember the type of tires we used on those airplanes.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #51

It is a common myth that the gators that we see lying along the road are recap or retreads that hare been lost from their casings...

If you stop and examine them...You will find that almost all of the gators...have steel tire cord in them....

The recap has NO Cord of any kind in them....It is simply Rubber all the way through....

The vast majority of tire failures are caused by...Overloaded Tire.....Under inflated Tire....Physical damage to Tire........A small number are caused by Manufacturing defects..

The only Catastrophic Failure of a Steer Tire I ever experienced ....Was an almost bran new (About ONE WEEK Old)...Steer Tire ...It just exploded at the Fuel Island while I was pumping fuel...
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recaps have the same steel cords as new tires. The cords are in the main carcus of the tire not the tread, whether new or retread. When you find steel cord that just means the entire tire blew not tread stripping off.

Glenn
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #53

I recently witnessed a DP motorhome pulling a trailer, a fifth wheel trailer, and a box type cargo truck leave tire carcasses on the road. In the case of the box truck, it was the front tire so I hardly think that it was a recap. I don't know of any motorhome owners using recaps either. All of these incidents happened on the same day. I would like to note that the air temperature was in the high 90's that day and these vehicles were travelling at about 70 mph the posted speed. One of the tire manufacturer load air pressure tables stated that their tires are rated for a max speed of 75 mph. Speed and air temperature could also be contributing factors to tire separations because the friction and centrifical forces upon a spinning tire creates heat. Just a thought to consider.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago I worked in a tire retread plant. There are two types of retreads for tires. Most common one is a pre cured tread that is bonded to the tire with raw rubber and then cured with heat, commonly known as cold process. The remoulded recap is what used to be called the hot cap. The tire is buffed down and covered with a raw rubber cap and placed in a mould with the tire tread design of choice and cured on to the casing. Due to the higher amount of heat needed to cure that tread onto the casing it could create a problem with the casing. The failure rate was much higher on these. I have also spent 35 years in the trucking industry and have used many recapped tires on the drive axles and trailers. I wouldn't even think of putting recaps on my MH.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #55

I was talking to a tire guy several years ago....Might have been Goodyear....And he was telling me about a courtesy check that they did at some RV Rally....

80% of the rigs that they checked ...were running ...Overloaded and/or under inflated..

The very best bran new tire can and will fail ....They can even catch fire if run far enough that way...

By the way most truck drivers don't check company tires and those that do only thump them..I have picked up many loaded trailers with flats....The worst case was a...Hot Load...That I picked up right at the terminal...Almost in front of the 24/7 shop..Sitting on THREE Completely Flat tires...

This is from a company that will fix anything you write up and NEVER give you a growl about it....
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
I once did a tour of a Truck tire recap operation and they do a very good inspection of the tire once it comes in to see if it is acceptable to recap, then they do a constant inspection as the remove the old tread, and they did an x-ray to look for problems in the casing.

While I was impressed with the whole process, I'm not sure I want recapped tires on my RV.