Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbutton View Post
I once did a tour of a Truck tire recap operation and they do a very good inspection of the tire once it comes in to see if it is acceptable to recap, then they do a constant inspection as the remove the old tread, and they did an x-ray to look for problems in the casing.

While I was impressed with the whole process, I'm not sure I want recapped tires on my RV.

+1 No recaps for my coach.

Commercial trucks rarely have a 1/8" thick walled plastic black tank full of sloshing biohazard riding 1' from the tires. They can afford to run em till they explode, because all it costs them is a tire and some down time. I've seen pictures of damage caused to the underside of RVs by exploing tires. I hope I never have that happen to me, and I'll do everything I can to prevent it.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A radial is a giant shredder when it lets loose. Friend in Oklahoma had a Firestone Steeltex (4 year old tire)blow on the rear and it did $17,000 worth of damage to the rear and side of his class C.

So, no rethreads on anything I own.

Ken

Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #59

Your coach your money....But I believe tires are like batteries....Some do die of old age but most are murdered...Overloaded...Under inflated....Damaged by objects in the road and curbs...And a very few are just manufacturing defects...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhaven View Post
...And a very few are just manufacturing defects...
It's ironic to me that EVERY tire failure I've had has been due to design and/or manufacturing defects, verified by the fact that the tire manufacturer (the same name brand U.S. manufacturer in both cases) not only replaced the tires that failed but also the rest of the tires on the respective RVs as well as paying for repair of the damage to the RVs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1 No recaps for my coach.

Commercial trucks rarely have a 1/8" thick walled plastic black tank full of sloshing biohazard riding 1' from the tires. They can afford to run em till they explode, because all it costs them is a tire and some down time.

As a former owner/operator I have to disagree with you. I couldn't afford to be down because of a tire failure or any other break down, time is money.
You obviously have never seen the damage a tire (retread or virgin) can do to things like quarter fenders, mudflaps, landing gear or cross members of trucks and trailers.... I ran retreads on the drives and trailer with no more problems then virgin tires, the key is to maintain proper inflation and not over loading the tires.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #62

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
How is remolding any different the re-capping which truckers have been doing for decades?...
Remolded tires receive new rubber from bead to bead whereas recaps only receive new rubber on the tread.

Personally, I wouldn't trust either. A remolded or recapped tire will never be any better than the old tire on which they are built. Tire carcasses have a finite lifespan. Even tires with almost new treads are subject to failure if they are old enough.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
As a former owner/operator I have to disagree with you. I couldn't afford to be down because of a tire failure or any other break down, time is money.
You obviously have never seen the damage a tire (retread or virgin) can do to things like quarter fenders, mudflaps, landing gear or cross members of trucks and trailers.... I ran retreads on the drives and trailer with no more problems then virgin tires, the key is to maintain proper inflation and not over loading the tires.
Thanks for the correction, and the enlightenment.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #64

i work for one of the largest trucking company's on the road today we run virgin steers and caps on drives and trailers, we use first time caps on drives and second time on trailers with pretty good success. but we still have failures even with our strict tire inflation policy
but i bit the bullet and bought all new virgin drives for mine, can't justify the chance someone had a bad day at the recappers and rip my mh up over a few dollars besides the longer life from the new tire if taken proper care of will make it worth it
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #65
Commercial Member

My blog post on Retreading and regrooving

The answer is Not a good idea. You can read more at

RV Tire Safety: Are Retreads OK for your RV?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
............I find it almost unbelieavable that Air Force One or any other Executive mode of transportation would use this type of tire, JMHO.
David G.
Thats the way it is.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
What you don't know is that aircraft tires go thru many more inspections daily & have very specific limits on nitrogen pressure loss, wear, cracking, ect, ect than most highway vehicles. For instance if a tire losses more than 10% of its pressure we change it, more than 20% & we replace its mate also. Do you maintain your MH tires this way? Most likely not.
I will not tell you that Airforce One uses retreaded tires, may or may not, & its been 26+ years since I worked on the Vice Presidents DC 9 & the First Ladies DC 9. I can not remember the type of tires we used on those airplanes.
Goodyear. Five caps. 125 PSI Nitrogen. I can change a C-9B (DC-9) tire in my sleep. Geeze. That was 25 + years ago.

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote