Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
"REMOLDED TIRES" anyone???

So I am looking for 6 tires for our vintage Georgie Boy Motorhome. Best prices are on the chineese brands. A set of Samson are just under $1000, but I am paranoid.
Not so sure they arent good tires, but with all the crap we have gotten in the USA from China anything from Drywall to Lead content in Jewelry. I just don't want to risk getting crap tires.

So I came across this EBAY sale for "REMOLDED" tires.
225/70-19.5 *NEW* REMOLDED "MS, AT" TIRES LOAD F, G | eBay

It states they are not Recaps, but Remolded.
Sale states
REMOLDING--A process in which an old casing is used to produce a new tire. New rubber is applied to the casing from the bead around to the other bead. This ensures a finished product equally strong to if not stronger than any other tire produced on the market today.

Remolded tires save oil and usually cost much less than "new" tires while providing the same level of performance. Remolded tires can be driven at the same speeds as new tires and last as long as new tires. Remolded tires are even used on Air Force One and could save you 30 to 50 dollars compared to new tires.

So would anyone use these on their Motorhome?

My trips are all less than 250 miles each way. I travel between 55 and 60 mph.

jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No, no and no way.

Age is the main problem with RV tires and this sounds like trouble looking for a place to happen.

There is too much at stake to not put good tires on one's MH.

In my case i would never put Chinese tires on any on-highway vehicle.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Appalachian Campers
Believe I might leave that one alone. Five years from now you will have forgotten what you paid. Have a blowout and wreck and you will never forget it. Buy the new stuff.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
How is remolding any different the re-capping which truckers have been doing for decades?

I have Chinese tires on my HHR and they are great. I have South Korean tires on my wife's Kia Soul and again they are great. But Michelins on the MH.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Coastal Campers
Chinese tires are kindly referred to as "China
bombs", because they will blow out, not might blow out. Broken belts and tread separation are common, and that's with new manufactured tires. Also, don't be fooled by brand names you know, just check the tire DOT code to see where they were manufactured.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
How is remolding any different the re-capping which truckers have been doing for decades?
Even recaps have their (acknowledged) problems - they CANNOT be installed on steer axles.

Tires are one place I won't cheap out. If I were the OP, I'd find one or more quality tires that would meet my requirements, then price shop those for the best bargain.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I worked for lease company that had school bus division, 1000 buses, they leased supplied to school districts. When they got new unit they ALWAYS took off back tires and replaced with recaps. Drive tires we always new. FWIW. Never heard of Chinese tires - facts or myth's regarding them-either pro or con.
2004 Monaco SE
bill dean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a YouTube video from "How it's made".

YouTube - ‪How It's Made Remolded tires‬‏

I can't find much other information on them but they are inspected before being used.

With the advancement in tire tech over the years I can't say I wouldn't use them. I may just use them on the rear axle since there are 4 of them back there if one lets go. The fronts are another story.
Fulltiming since 2/20/11
12 tires
6 feet
digitalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Seems to me there are lots of Chinese tires on 5th wheels...BTDT and will not do it again. Thought I had an axle problem...nope, just a Chinese tire coming apart.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our Cameo came with Chinese tires and part of the deal, the rv dealer changed them with the Michelins I had on the old fiver. I had trouble with Goodyears on my old fiver and these Michelins have given me not problems. I can't remember the day but the Michelins were made in 2006. I may get another year out of them.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
If you want to take the chance of hurting someone for 1000.00 savings, in America, thats your choice. They are good for growing potatoes in though.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Even recaps have their (acknowledged) problems - they CANNOT be installed on steer axles.

Well that's partly true. They may not be used on the steer axle of a bus (Title 49 Part 393.73) ... Did you know that the airlines use recap tires on the airliners they fly ?
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Did you know that the airlines use recap tires on the airliners they fly ?
And they have plenty of tire problems. Also, care to guess how many "plys" they have? (15-25). Also care to guess how old they are when recapped (worn out). Far less than a year so "aging" problems do not exist. A general aviation tire for a 2500lb aircraft has 6-8 plys. APPLES and ORANGES!
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I bought six sumitumo tires for my motorhome, they were given very high marks, mine are 245/75R/22.5, ST-718. $1800.00 out the door mounted and balanced. I was nor going to spend the extra money for michelins an have same problem five years down the line with weather cracking. These are my personnel feeeling. To each there own...

tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote