Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Remote App To Monitor Temp in Coach

When we did our "shake down cruise" of our new to us 2001 Winnebago , the AC died . We will travel with our dogs and are concerned that , if we are off seeing the sights and the AC dies again , the temperature could become uncomfortable if not dangerous for our critters. The easy solution is to carry our dogs with us or limit our time away from them but on rare occasions this may not be possible.
Can anyone suggest an app for our iPhone that will monitor and/or alert us of a change in temperature inside the coach when we are away ?
(oh...... the AC was nothing more than a tripped breaker in the basement air electrical panel but it got us concerned about the above scenario.)
Thanks.
Ron and Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been looking for the same thing - eager to see what shows up.
Bently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's another thread on the topic:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-t...or-257417.html

Somebody there mentioned this:
Monitor changing temperatures with the new and easy-to-use AnimAlarm - whatever the environment.

I guess I really need to work on building my device because there seems to be a lot of questions related to this and that AnimAlarm is pretty expensive.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Community Moderator

I use a combination of these two devices to monitor the temperature, and power failure events in my vacation home.

The Verizon box makes any hard wired phone or device operate over the cellular network. The Sensaphone is a great device that will call you and in a computerised voice tell you what is wrong. You can also call in from anywhere, and get an instant report of temperature, etc any time you want. Since it operates by talking to you over the phone, no "geeky" internet, or smartphone apps are required. It has "bullet proof" reliability, as the Sensaphone devices have been made for decades, and are trusted by the people that demand reliability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438802274.557975.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	102160

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438802349.022021.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	102161
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did the A/C malfunction or did you lose shore power? If you only lost power you can add an automatic generator start module that will fire up your generator when it senses a pre-set temperature, re-starting the A/C.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions. Lin is looking into the AnimAlarm and Sensaphone. The breaker on the basement air unit tripped. Breakers inside coach were fine. Can guess but do not know for sure what caused breaker to trip. We tried starting the generator but , of course , it didn't help. The generator start module might come in handy. I will look into it.
Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to install a new start compositor to help your AC on start. Popping breakers is the first clue it needs help on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Sound advice John. Will pull up literature and see if I can check the start capacitor.
Thanks.