Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Question remote propane hook up outside fifth wheel

So have a remote propane hook up on the right rear of my fifth wheel, it has the handle to turn the propane off, plus it is a quick connect style, as I understand it from an RV dealer it is plumbed into the regulator on the tanks, so I would need to find an appliance that is unregulated, otherwise the pressure would be too low to run an appliance, does anyone make an unregulated appliance to use with these quick connect systems?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #2

I'm not sure what you're thinking of using? A barbecue? Most devices I can think of would not be regulated themselves. They would require propane from a regulated supply?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my 98 Safari Serengeti 3 years ago it came with a WeberQ grill that hooked to hose from the RV propane tank. I've always complained about the low flame on the WeberQ. Just recently I had an "aha" moment when I saw mentioned on another board that connecting in such a way usually didn't work very well due to having two regulators in series - one on the tank and one on the grill. So.... bought the necessary fittings to eliminate the grill regulator, connected it up, and it was WORSE! I'm going to put the regulator back on the grill, then try using it with one of the small disposable tanks that is was designed for - I've never used it that way and need to see how high the flame will go. Can't do it right now - the coach is in for service.
Andy H
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got tired of those little disposable propane bottles for my Webber grill. I added a valve and quick connect after the MH regulator. Got a length of hose to run to the grill with a valve at the end of the hose to control the flame at the grill to which I screwed in the propane jet after removing it from the Webber regulator. It works great !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chuck - Am I understanding correctly - you eliminated BOTH the Weber regulator and the Weber valve? I eliminated just the regulator and was still using the Weber valve. Maybe that's my problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman01 View Post
So have a remote propane hook up on the right rear of my fifth wheel, it has the handle to turn the propane off, plus it is a quick connect style, as I understand it from an RV dealer it is plumbed into the regulator on the tanks, so I would need to find an appliance that is unregulated, otherwise the pressure would be too low to run an appliance, does anyone make an unregulated appliance to use with these quick connect systems?
we have a RVQ Grill that hooks up to the coach just in the way you stated. Now it does have a kind of regulator (not like the regular grills though) so not sure what you dealer was talking about. With an on and off handle. Also it connects kind of like an air hose quick connector. The grill hangs on the side of the coach. Ours is a few years old so I don't knw where you would get the exact model from but the company made two sizes and we have the bigger one. Ours orginally was used on our 2006 Eagle fifth wheel by jayco.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
All appliances are eighter 30 or 50 grams preasure, regulators make the 1 to 8 Atm into the 30 or 50 grams presure.
Look at the templates of appliances for their requirements.
NEVER connect a low presure appliance (BBQ or whatever) directly to the high (inregulated) propane bottle/otainer.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduan View Post
Chuck - Am I understanding correctly - you eliminated BOTH the Weber regulator and the Weber valve? I eliminated just the regulator and was still using the Weber valve. Maybe that's my problem.
Yes, I only used the jet that I screwed into my own valve. My grill is the small Webber Go Anywhere Grill. Here is the layout I used after teeing into the system AFTER the regulater. Ball Valve, quick connect, 10' hose, quick connect, small valve with the jet screwed into it.
CAVIATE: Use only propane rated hose and hardware.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

We have the Weber Baby Q and had to remove the regulator and get a fitting that would let it hook to the propane remote connection on the patio side of the coach. We went to a propane store (American Propane in N. Okla. City). They fashioned a 12 ? ft. hose with the appropriate connections so we can connect and disconnect easily and move it around outside.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote