RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Removing creases in headliner after replacing old lights with new LED lights.

I replaced all the ceiling lights in my 02 Discovery 38D with 4" round LED lights. Everything went well, including rewiring many of them to be operated from common switches, But I still have one annoying problem - the indentations in the headliner in the shape of the old lights remain. I first tried steaming them out. Didn't work. Then I tried two of Bob Vila's methods. Spray them with water and then dry them with a hair dryer. Didn't work. I'm not going to try the ice cube method that worked for me in the house because it would require turning the coach upside down. The last resort is what the coachmakers do when they retrofit LED's. Make thin decorative boards to cover the area of the old lights and attach the new lights to the boards. I had to do that where the flourescents were mounted, but I refuse to undo all my work and put boards all over my ceiling and then work with shorter cable lengths to do my wiring all over again! Anyone on here successfully removed the indentationss in the headliner

shoalsgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Is the ceiling vinyl? If so, the indentations may never come out but steam is probably the best method. If it's cloth, try getting a wash cloth wet then wring it out place the wash cloth on the indentation and then place a hot iron on the wash cloth. (same kind of iron you'd use to press wrinkles out of clothes)

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Is the ceiling vinyl? If so, the indentations may never come out but steam is probably the best method. If it's cloth, try getting a wash cloth wet then wring it out place the wash cloth on the indentation and then place a hot iron on the wash cloth. (same kind of iron you'd use to press wrinkles out of clothes)
It's a thin carpet-like material. The iron and washcloth method replicates the steamer method and the steamer did nothing. I guess expecting fifteen year old indentations to come out is a bit of a stretch!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

It really doesn't replicate the steam method. It is similar but different or, (It's exactly the same only entirely different LOL)

It adds more water, more heat and steam to help remove the indentations. It's worth a try.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wet cloth/iron idea is good, but I would also try simply soaking the area with a spray bottle and letting it dry by itself as well (replicating the ice cube idea without turning your MH on it's lid ) It may very well be something that will lessen in time. By next year, the indentations may be unnoticeable.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

I forgot to mention, the wash cloth/Iron method totally removed the carpet divots from my slate pool table
Old 02-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

LED Install

I replaced the florescent lights in my 07 Revolution. My solution for the wrinkles was to make an oval shape out of aluminum that had a hole at each end. I covered it with matching vinyl and inserted the lamps. Installed the assembly and they look pretty good IMO. The wife loves them as they can be dimmed 50%. I bought the LED lamps on ebay for $5 each. It was a lot more work than I had planned but well worth it!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED's in Living Area.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	152016   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	152017  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	152018   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	152019  

Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportech View Post
I replaced the florescent lights in my 07 Revolution. My solution for the wrinkles was to make an oval shape out of aluminum that had a hole at each end. I covered it with matching vinyl and inserted the lamps. Installed the assembly and they look pretty good IMO. The wife loves them as they can be dimmed 50%. I bought the LED lamps on ebay for $5 each. It was a lot more work than I had planned but well worth it!

Dave
I think that's a great solurtion and wish I'd seen your solution before starting my conversion. But mine is done now, and I don't have the patience to do it over!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights