Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #15

It's not just Florida that has the critters. 2 crops, May and September in South Louisiana also. Lots of remedies to get them off. Best thing is to travel early in the AM, stop before it gets hot and have a cool one inside your coach and watch the other folks cuss while cleaning them off. They have no known enemies, birds say they taste terrible. Biggest thing is that "NO" Cajun has figured out how to cook them or use them as seasoning either. Even tried them as fishbait. Wrong.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #16

If a Cajun can't figure how to eat them,,they can't be eaten,,,period!!
Carl in St Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Lindsey, you post turned out to be a great one. The Turtle Wax Bug & Tar and Tree Sap remover (exact name on can) is a good product. Most Bug and Tar removers are simply Naptha (petroleum distillates). This one has petroleum distillates but it also has a very find grind of compound plus finishing waxes or resins ( I could not tell which one. I removed some bug guts and tar with a little rubbing and noticed that it leaves a nice shine (after a little buffing) Thanks again.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I used a few sheets of USED Bounce
DO NOT use bounce if you have vinyl film on the front of the rig as it will scratch/ruin the film. It might be alright for gelcoat fiberglass or bare paint...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #19

don't use a magic eraser

somebody told me to use a magic eraser, i never tried it but saw a dude scubbing his fifth wheel down with one, he said it worked great. i went back by later and it looked like he had sanded all the shine off, i guess he didn't notice but looked terrible.

i try to wax the front cap of mine every time i wash it (or at least before i take a trip south). makes the bugs a whole lot easier to get off what ever you use. "mother's" brand is easy to put on and wipe off. and yea, those bugs will pit the finish, especially the decals if you leave them on for long.

BTW, the magic eraser will do wonders for mildew on your awning.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #20

Get a pare of your wifes old panty hose; (her not in them of course) a little soap and water and them critters will come right of with little effort.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #21

warm water and peroxide about 50-50 mix when they are fresh, let soak for few , and wipe off, good luck they are mess
yak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
WD-40
mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Here's the little buggers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lovebugs2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	4933

Click image for larger version

Name:	lovebugs1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	4934
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we drove through Florida and stopped at a rest stop, One bird just walked up to the front of our car and proceeded to have a buffet. Talk about a lazy hunter.
jamsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dryer sheets. Wet the area and wipe with no name bounce dryer sheets. There's not a bird in the world that will eat more than one love bug.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Grew up here in FL and no matter what you use to get them off, don't wait more than 8-10 hrs (less than that is even better) to get them rinsed, not necessarily cleaned off but well rinsed. There is something in their juice that eats into your paint and it doesn't take long. Once it eats into it, you can't get it back without repainting. Get the juice first and the bug later if necessary.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
They are horrible here in Texas also.. a young man that does 'detail work' on autos etc uses degreaser such as simple green basically full strength. He says to wet the hood, windshield etc with water, spray the degreaser on good, let it sit for 2-3 minutes or you can check to see if they have 'softened' , then rinse good with water.. it works for me..

I heard that Love Bugs was a government experiment that was to kill mosquitos but failed. imagine that ..and they do stink... whew

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestme13 View Post
Gentleman, do your best to give those road posums a wide berth. Save a POSUM
I thank you, my mother thanks you, my kids thank you.

Seriously though, a few years ago I was traveling hwy 97 between Klamath Falls and Chiloquin Oregon and ran into a swarm of little green flying bugs that were over the highway. Almost instantly I couldn't see a thing and had to pull over to clean my windshield. I happened to have an ice scraper (mandatory Canadian tool for driving) and cleared enough of the windshield to get me underway. We overnighted in Tacoma Wa. and when we got up in the morning the Jeep and Trailer were covered in a swarm of wasps but the neat thing was the car and TT were clean as a whistle with nothing left of the bug residue.

I recommend that you try this easy free way of cleaning of bug swarms.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote