Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Removing Wax

Hello Folks I have read countless posts about waxing and waxes. I have a newly acquired 2013 Fleetwood Storm with full body paint. Fleetwood told me I can wax the whole thing except the logo decals. I plan to wash it with a car wash soap like Blue Coral or similar using my microfiber on a pole. I will dry it with other microfiber cloths. Then I plan to wax with Meguirs, Rejex, Nu-finish, or Star Brite RV wax using an orbital polisher with microfiber polishing pad. All this I have learned from all of you.

Now finally my question- is there a special step to remove any wax that may be on the coach now or is that addressed when I wash it?

Thank you for helping the new kid.
Fleetwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

You could use a cleaner wax.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Dawn dish soap will easily strip all old wax.
As a side note, I really like Colonite Fleet wax. It goes on easily and leaves a long lasting shine.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood13 View Post
Hello Folks I have read countless posts about waxing and waxes. I have a newly acquired 2013 Fleetwood Storm with full body paint. Fleetwood told me I can wax the whole thing except the logo decals. I plan to wash it with a car wash soap like Blue Coral or similar using my microfiber on a pole. I will dry it with other microfiber cloths. Then I plan to wax with Meguirs, Rejex, Nu-finish, or Star Brite RV wax using an orbital polisher with microfiber polishing pad. All this I have learned from all of you.

Now finally my question- is there a special step to remove any wax that may be on the coach now or is that addressed when I wash it?

Thank you for helping the new kid.

I have been told Dawn dish washing liquid removes wax.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Removing Wax

Dawn will definitely remove wax but be certain to completely wash it all off. Dawn will leave streaks which may need to be removed with compound.

I know. Had to use the buffer last week.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

As above, Dawn will strip most waxes. Then the question is what next. If you really want a good shine, then clay the whole thing with a clay mitt and appropriate lubricant to get rid of all the particulates and water spots that have adhered to the paint. Then apply a wax or spray on polymer to give it some UV protection. I just did all of this to my 31 ft Newmar. No buffer required. Looks good but it’s 3 days I’ll not want to repeat soon./ wipe off

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

Okay thank you this is the first time I read anything about using Dawn.

Just so I understand is it necessary for me to wash the rig with Dawn before waxing?

I should have noted that there isn’t a single swirl mark or light scratches anywhere. The rig looks near perfect now but for one or two scratches up high likely from trees.

I don’t want to mess this up. Thank you again.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Removing Wax

In all the years I’ve waxed cars I’ve never stripped it before I rewaxed. Your full body paint is supposedly automotive paint. I’d do whatever you do for your cars. Try a small inconspicuous area first. Then you can change methods if needed. If you really want it to be a spectacular job the clay bar and all mentioned above is the way to make it look showroom new.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And to be clear, no one uses wax if they want it to last a long time. All the good finishes are polymer sealants and will last a year between applications in most cases as long as you are careful what you wash it with.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #10

Wash it with Dawn, clay bar it if necessary, polish it (not wax), and then seal it.

Easy, right?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #11

FWIW, some MH mfgrs(Tiffin is one) state not to use micro-fiber cloths on the paint,as it scratches the paint. Micro-fiber cloths are made using some plastic fibers, or so I have read here a few days ago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I see no need to strip previous wax - the process of applying the new finish will do that well enough. The paint on the coach is the same type as on your car and can be treated the same. If it is not oxidized or covered with road grime, you can apply a "wax" only product (actually a synthetic polymer sealant these days), but I would recommend a light duty cleaner/wax that will polish off road grime as well as any previous "wax" layers and leave a fresh polymer coating (sealant) for a nice shine. Probably don't need a buffer for that either, but that's up to you. A light duty cleaner wax should be easy to wipe on and off by hand. Meguiars, Nu Finish , etc. all have quality, easy to use products like that [my personal favorite for the RV was Protect-All].

If there is oxidation of the paint, you will need a product that has more "polish" in it, i.e. more gritty to get the oxidized layer off. A buffer can help there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pick up phone an hire a detailer.

I've done this too many times.....done with it. Worth the $400 to me. I don't belong on ladders!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #14

Thank you all for the input. I will give my rig a wash and put on a mild polymer sealant by hand with a soft sponge pad and wipe it off with soft towel.